PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I've always been interested in becoming a mason but never followed up on it. Also the first time I saw Shriners was at the St. Pat's parade in Savannah and I was like damn I want to be one of them. lol

cynyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
In my experience, Masonry (and most other fraternal organizations) are slowly dying out. Young men don't have the time to dedicate to them, and the old heads are ... um... dying.
That said, this world has a desperate need for more young men to embrace and live by fraternal principles - that is, the golden rule, empathy for your fellow humans, and making an effort to leave the world a better place. Masonic charities donate well over $300 million annually to their causes.
Those of you who have expressed interest, or have Masonic relatives, ought to follow up on the thought. I'd be glad to answer any question I can thru PM or email, and I'll bet Baron or any of the others here would, too. I am no longer an active Mason, but I firmly believe that Masonry makes good men better!

bigmike

Apr 24, 2012
As a Mason, I proudly just received my 25 year pin from my local lodge. This year will also be my 25th year as a 32nd degree mason in the Scottish Rite.
Never regretted one minute of my membership or involvement.
Highly recommend persons of good character petition this Brotherhood. You might actually learn something about yourself and mankind in the process................

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Congratulations to all my Masonic brothers on this forum. I have been a Master Mason for 44 years, and left for Vietnam the day after I was raised. Somewhere along the way I went through the Scottish Rite, and received the 32nd degree, and the York Rite (chapter and council.) I am currently serving as Worshipful Master of Temple Lodge #16, in Cheshire, Connecticut. I love being a Mason, and have learned, and taught many valuable moral lessons in the course of my years in the Craft. My motto for my year in the East is "it's great to be a mason," and my goal is to make sure that every member of the Lodge leaves the meeting with that thought in mind.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
i have been very curious about the masons and joining, however everyone i know (which is like one) is very secretive and wont say much. i have thought about just calling but all i know about them is what the history channel says....and i dont want to join something that would make me join NWO or become jack the rippers cousin.(history channel bad joke) so i would like some real light shed also

redgentleman

Lurker
Jan 28, 2013
My grandfather was a Mason. My grandmother told me once that he simply stopped going and never went back. I intend to join in hope to establish myself further as a person.

checotah

Feb 7, 2012
Masonry is not a secret society. Our lodges proudly proclaim their presence with signs and banners. We are a private society and feel our business is our own. If you would like admission, simply seek out a member in your area and express that interest to him. 2B1 Ask1. Best thing I ever did.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
I have either heard or read that the Oath of the Knights of Columbus, Knights of Malta and Rhodes Scholars is based upon the Oath of the Jesuits and that Freemasonry dates back to the Crusades. Is their any truth to that? I've also read that in Albert Pike's book that masons are to conceal any crimes of their brother masons if called into a court of law even if it meant perjuring yourself. You hear and read all manners of things about so called secret societies and don't know what to believe.

brazz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 16, 2009
Teta Delta Chi Omnicron Charge. My son is interested in the Free Masons,whats the best way to join? I live in Rhode Island (Biggest Little State)

cynyr

Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
Colonel, Freemasonry as we know it developed mostly in the 1600s, and there are reputable claims of predecessors as far back as the Peasant's Revolt of 1381. The late John Robinson makes a good argument about escaping Templars forming the nucleus of the oaths, but it's all speculation.
Albert Pike was a Confederate General, a world-class intellect, and a shameless bullshitter. I discount any tenet of Masonry if the sole source is Albert Pike. A Mason is obligated only by his own conscience to keep a secret entrusted to him by a fellow Mason. There is also a specific exemption for cases of murder or treason.
A little further on the matter of oaths and obligations. The obligation contains many impressive words and bloody language, but if one reads it carefully (and they are all out there to read) the individual Mason is not bound to the Lodge, he is bound only to himself. In other words, by taking the obligation, a Mason is reminding himself, before God (or the Deity of his choice) of the duties he already owes to his fellow man.
I hope that shed a little light for y'all.

rangerearthpig

Jan 5, 2014
Mountain Lodge #661 AF&AM Masonic Lodge (Santa Anna, TX), Scottish Rite 32 degree, also Kappa Sigma.

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
Fellwoship Lodge # 1385 A.F.& A.M. Odessa,Texas

32 degree Scottish Rite El Paso,Texas

El Maida Shriners, El Paso, Texas

willc

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2014
I am a Carpenter and build scaffolds for Masons quite frequently.

Status
Not open for further replies.