PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanz

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2011
Southland NZ
its amusing that i was thinking bout this and then lo up it comes...

i am in the process of proposing my self to one of the local lodges

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Good luck seanz. kennerth, I'm not aware of any Masonic pipe-smoking postures, but there are ways I could tell regardless of whether someone was smoking or not (That is, if they are trying to be recognized).
Like if he was smoking this pipe.
lg_CL036_1.jpg

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
@Bigvan - I was talking about Fight Club! But I guess I broke the first and second rule by posting that! Dang!! haha I was waiting for someone to ask what it was!

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
It always amazed me when the Mason guys I use to work with tried keeping all these little secrets to themselves, so I found a book at the library that was 863 pages long on everything you would want to know about it, that same book used to be available in a catalog I use to get at my house and you could buy it for 14.95 back in the 80's
Most of it supports the Illusion of Superiority.
No flames please :wink:

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Thirty second is the last one,....there's a 33rd, but it's a gift given for service.
And there is nothing that goes on in the lodge or anywhere else that hasn't been shared with the world.

The secrets are all a tongue in cheek sorta thing.
Fine organizations,....but just not for everyone.

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
What Tommy said.... the 32 is the last, the 33rd is honorary only....and there are no secrets left. I have seen them all on the history and discover channel, some right, some wrong... fine organizations by far... if being one is wrong, I will never be right.

babarajas

Lurker
Mar 11, 2011
I'm a Lion from Alvin Texas... I've been around Masons, Rotarians and Lions most of my life. Feels good to serve the people of my community.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Hobie, you'd be surprised how not-secret most Masonic secrets really are. Especially in today's age of the Internet. Things most people don't know about Masons: In The U.S. Each Grand lodge (mostly at state level)is independent and has its own Constitution. It is not subject to any other lodge in any other place. All leadership positions are elected democratically and usually last only for 1 year. The highest "rank" you can achieve is 3rd Degree (Master MAson). After that, all other appendant bodies are voluntary or honorary. In order to join a Masonic Lodge, you only need 3 things: 1. Belief in a Supreme Being 2. Meet legal age requirement (18 or 21 depending upon the state) 3. Be of good moral character. That's it. You also have to be voted into the lodge by members of that lodge. There may also be residence requirements based on jurisdiction.

The only Masonic Order that requires you affirm a brlief in Christ is the Knights Templar, for obvious reasons.
None of what I typed here is "secret", it is actually what I tell people who express an interest.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Is there a International Pipe Smokers Association? I would join that.
My stepfather was a freemason, but I never really got interested in it.

wingcamnut

Lurker
Aug 11, 2011
Round Table, ex chair 3 times , now ex Tabler, Honorary Lifetime PIG ......too old now 45 is retirement age! Area 5 UK International roles, Area roles, fine body of drunkards and all round good eggs! However plenty of cigar smokers never came across a pipe smoker...go figure? :D

maduroman

May 15, 2010
am a member of the American Legion and prez of our chapter of the American Legion Riders, both 249...
have given thought to the Mason's

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Decided to bump this since there have been a lot of new members in the last couple months. Any Freemasons, WOW, Oddfellows, Lions, Moose, etc?? As previously posted, I have been a Master Mason for 5 years and am a member of both the York and Scottish Rites. Of 2 brothers I work with, one smokes a pipe (He's a Prince Hall Mason) and the other is trying to kick cigs, but enjoys cigars and I'm converting him to the dark side!

seanz

May 8, 2011
Southland NZ
I have my ballot and inition next thursday. be a bit of a bummer if i get black balls.. he he he said black balls :)

Status
Not open for further replies.