PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Is there a difference between what is marketed as the John Aylesbury Black and Sillem's Black?

The Sillem's Black I ordered, has the Cross on the box...

pygmig

Lurker
Jul 23, 2020
Washington DC
English Chocolate by Two Friends is one of my favorite aromatics w/ lat. It’s just VA, lat, and a hint of chocolate. Readily available most of the time.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
@olkofri

Sorry for the confusion, I know what the boxes look like between the two, I was asking about the differences of the blends between the two if any?

jerseysam

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2019
Liberty Township. OH
Is there a difference between what is marketed as the John Aylesbury Black and Sillem's Black?

No. K&K is still the manufacturer of the blends, the distribution/marketing for the NA market is the only change. Anything still under Sillems branding is just older stock then the Ayelsbury l.

Reactions: dcon

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
No. K&K is still the manufacturer of the blends, the distribution/marketing for the NA market is the only change. Anything still under Sillems branding is just older stock then the Ayelsbury l.
10-4. There shouldn't be any change then. Kinda like Dunhill vs Peterson's EMP, Nightcap, et al.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Let me repeat what I read to make sure...

Kohlhase & Kopp is the blender, has been under the Sillem's & Ayelsbury names, and the names of Sillem's and Ayelsbury, were only the marketing/distribution names?

What has thrown me off is that the Tabaccoreviews only lists the Brand name as Sillem's but no Blender name listed.

Thanks

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
Some of the Sutliff match codger blends have a modest amount of Latakia that gives some smokiness -- not a lot but its there. Walnut in particular is very good. Country Doctor also has some Latakia. Readily available, cheap and overall they are easy to smoke.

Reactions: Magpiety

Bushido

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2020
Eastfarthing to me is an almost perfect AroLat (could use just a bit more lat). Northwest Trek from the Squire is also awesome.

Reactions: Capt Morgan

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Ah yes, it is really great, but besides the description stating 8% Latakia I never tasted any in the smoke.

Perhaps with a bit of imagination and deep sniffing of the flakes I smelled some Latakia in the unlit tobacco, but it could well have been deprivation of oxygen/hallucinations due to the other funky toppings. I got almond, vanilla, hint of Lakeland and maybe, just maybe, some idea of Lat at the bottom.

The latakia is definitely subtle but if you're not a regular smoker of it or not a big fan it's easier to notice. That's why I think this blend works so well. All of the components play a part with none drowning the others out. It's as if that 8% content equates to 8% of the blend's taste. It's just good stuff.

Bushido

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2020
I like Sutliff 504C Aromatic English. Have plans to try some Country Squire blends as well that I think would fit into this category, hunters creek and northwest trek.
Still trying to figure out if Sutliff Aromatic English is the same thing as Eastfarthing.

Reactions: Magpiety

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
As my pipe smoking continues I have recently found that I love the flavor of the Latakia when it is mixed with an aro. However, I am not really an English blend fan, at least I am not a big fan of the Peterson NC and EMP. They are ok, but I think it's the Oriental that I don't like. I am currently smoking:

Lane HGL
Sutliff Holiday Mixture
Cult Conspiracy
Cult Embassy

Anyone else like the Latakia blended with the aro's? I welcome any suggestions of any similar blends currently available.
Love Latakia blended with an aromatic.

One of the first pound bags I bought when I discovered online tobacconists was Mark Twain.
A nice enough aromatic but too moist and too sweet for my tastes, so I mixed it 50/50 with Windsail Virginia which makes it a much better blend for my tastes.

Then when I found the pound of London Squire that I ordered soon after, left an astringent aftertaste, I often blended that with the Mark Twain [One part Mark Twain, two parts London Squire with a touch of Va] which is really tasty.

Since then I've bought a pound of blending Latakia that I add a little to semi-aro's for a change of pace.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
The latakia is definitely subtle but if you're not a regular smoker of it or not a big fan it's easier to notice. That's why I think this blend works so well. All of the components play a part with none drowning the others out. It's as if that 8% content equates to 8% of the blend's taste. It's just good stuff.

Right, nice, I never thought about it like this. I've smoked a tin of Bob's and really liked it, but haven't had it for a year. I do smoke a lot of heavy Lat blends so that's possibly why I didn't get any Lat out of it.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I was of the "whallop" school of tobacco, liking a lot and never a little, especially as regards nicotine, which preference I think is also applicable to the strength of latakia in a blend, where some like a little while others a lot.

Highly contested ideas of causality might point to something as apparent as a dog sleeping on its favorite or less preferred pillow; or if your mother dropped you on your head once or multiple times. Who can say?

Objectively the taste of latakia is available to the palate at either 20% or 40%. Why is more better?

An eternal question to consider on this or some other throne.

HitchensDog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Omaha, Nebraska, USA
Mac Baren's Solent Mixture might line up with what you like. No orientals, light on the Latakia, and some sort of light topping. It has a unique taste. I can't think of anything else that tastes like it. I really enjoy this blend.

Reactions: Capt Morgan

lightxmyfire

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2019
DMV Area
+1 for the country squire blends. Hunting Creek is one of my favorite English Aro's and Northwest Trek is good too, and they're almost always available! They have another called P.S. Blend that I haven't tried but it sounds like it would fit what you're looking for as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.