PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
MM does have a few selections with acrylic stems but they do raise the prices of the pipes quite a bit. With the number of years they've been in business, I don't think they have much to worry about bringing in new customers, and considering the Forever Stems are more expensive than most of their pipes, it may not be profitable.
The MM cobs with acrylic stems actually aren't too expensive, but the only have unfiltered ones and only the St. Patrick's Day themed ones left in stock.

Reactions: BROBS and radrick96

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
When you can get most of their standard pipes off site for less than $10, that's a bit of a jump.
I was thinking that the price for a cob pipe with the acrylic stem already wasn't bad in comparison to buying a cob pipe and then adding a $27+shipping forever stem. Guess it's now a moot point since forever stems are no longer an option.

Reactions: BROBS and radrick96

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Omg I. Better hurry and get that vulcanite one!

Nope too late
... Guess I gotta make one now. I got two acrylic ones to hold me over ..

@chasingembers tell me you got at least one to try out!!!

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I had them make me 2 bent vulcanite stems that fit a 6mm filter.
I looked at their website long time ago. Very nice stems they made for sure. But the prices plus freight plus possible duties and lack of non-custom options for filtered cobs combined to kill the deal. To me, it's just plain inexpedient to spend more on a stem than on the pipe itself. Besides, cobs are nigh disposable pipes. Just didn't make sense, specially when I'm not a clencher and I don't bite hard on the stems. The elcheapo plastic stems the cobs come with have held up just fine.

Reactions: radrick96 and BROBS

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Omg I. Better hurry and get that vulcanite one!

Nope too late
... Guess I gotta make one now. I got two acrylic ones to hold me over ..

@chasingembers tell me you got at least one to try out!!!
Nah, decided not to. I've not even damaged a stem on the ones I've had for several years and just couldn't bring myself to pay that much for a cob stem.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I looked at their website long time ago. Very nice stems they made for sure. But the prices plus freight plus possible duties and lack of non-custom options for filtered cobs combined to kill the deal. To me, it's just plain inexpedient to spend more on a stem than on the pipe itself. Besides, cobs are nigh disposable pipes. Just didn't make sense, specially when I'm not a clencher and I don't bite hard on the stems. The elcheapo plastic stems the cobs come with have held up just fine.
Yep.

I actually tend to prefer the yellow danish stems to anything
I do too. When I buy a new cob I immediately replace the stem with one. Love how they change color over time too.

Reactions: BROBS

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Yep.

I do too. When I buy a new cob I immediately replace the stem with one. Love how they change color over time too.
I find that with any of their stock stems, the slot is rough, or sharp and I have to sand or file it down a bit to be comfortable. You ever mess with yours at all?

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Shit. All gone. Bummer. At least mu current ones are interchangeable. Hopefully he can pass on some knowledge for someone else to pick up the torch.

I know Boswell sells cobs with acrylic stems.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Shit. All gone. Bummer. At least mu current ones are interchangeable. Hopefully he can pass on some knowledge for someone else to pick up the torch.

I know Boswell sells cobs with acrylic stems.

He picked them up when Old Log Cabin stopped producing them. Someone else may pick it up.?

Aug 1, 2012
Dang, I love my forever stem and I had to leave it behind in the evacuation from Mumbai. I hope I can go back to it but this stinks. It was worth the $30 apiece to make cobs viable for me.

Here's hoping I can get something similar made by another stem maker. I shelled out for it in the first place, I'd do so again.

Honestly I wonder if the immediate disappearance was due to the same hording mentality that makes it impossible to buy rubbing alcohol now.