PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
All Good Things Must Come To An End
We have been in the pipe business for 50+ years, the last 12 with ‘Forever’ Stems. At the ages of 70 and 78, Sue and I have decided (and at Missy’s insistence) that it is time to retire and relax a little. Added to that are possible future supply problems. Our stem blanks are made in Italy, a country particularly hard hit by the Corona Virus, so future supplies may be kind of iffy; one more reason to bring things to a close.

Our website shows currently available stems and will continue to. WE WILL SELL THE STEMS UNTIL THEY ARE GONE.

We thank everyone who has been with us for Pipe Repairs, Estate Pipes, Consignment Pipes, and finally ‘Forever’ Stems, for your business, and most of all, the personal friendships that have been formed. We will miss every one of you.

Thanks again for everything. We wish you all health, happiness, and lots of great pipe smoking.

Dave and Sue Wolff, and Missy

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Wow that’s crazy. Sounds like it’s time for them to retire! Unfortunate because I’m a newb to the forums and only recently discovered their stems
Several of Missouri Meerschaum's pipes come with acrylic stems, but I always preferred the originals.

Reactions: radrick96

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
…aaaaand they’re gone. All out!

I had just decided to wait a bit as the only international shipping during the lockdown was going to be something like $30. Now I wish I had just paid it.

Great niche product, well executed, glad they were able to make a go of it for so long, and sad to see them go.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
They had actually taken over production of them a few years ago when they originally were discontinued.
Fingers crossed there’s someone else in the community that can make a go of it. I’m not entirely sure why MM doesn’t do it. Customization of relatively inexpensive products is generally a good strategy to entice new entrants to the market.

Reactions: radrick96

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Fingers crossed there’s someone else in the community that can make a go of it. I’m not entirely sure why MM doesn’t do it. Customization of relatively inexpensive products is generally a good strategy to entice new entrants to the market.
MM does have a few selections with acrylic stems but they do raise the prices of the pipes quite a bit. With the number of years they've been in business, I don't think they have much to worry about bringing in new customers, and considering the Forever Stems are more expensive than most of their pipes, it may not be profitable.

Reactions: instymp and Casual

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Thank you chasingembers for passing this along. Forever Stems elevated a set of my cobs into permanent pipes that no longer required new stems ever year or two, from all my chewing. Also, they upgraded their mouth feel and appearance and got me into at least some colorful stems.

I'm glad Dave, Sue, and Missy have taken this step. I know retirement is a big move and can be scary, but having taken the leap nine years ago, I can fully recommend it. The rest of your life quickly fills in what would seem to be an empty space, and for me, it only stepped up the pace of life, if that's good or bad, but I'm not puzzling over whether to read a book or take a walk, by a long shot.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
This is sad and nice at the same time! There may always be some venture pipe guys who wouldn't mind jumping on a niche market such as this one.....?

I wished them the best if luck and hope they enjoy retirement!

Reactions: dcon and BROBS