For Anyone Who Might Have an Extra $3000 of PAD Money Around...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidk

Lurker
Jan 26, 2016
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Unsmoked-RMP-United-States-Meerschaum-Bulldog-Bent-bulldog-Pipe-Vintage-1890s/182758964740?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649
I have nothing to do with this listing-- just came across it and thought others here might like to see it. What a beautiful set.
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization (please check Rule #9)

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Oh my. 14 carat accents, amber stems, and unsmoked. If I hadn't already destroyed my pipe and tobacco budget for the year, I would probably grab those!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The silver work is atrocious. Not interested even at the reduced price Jesse suggests. OTOH, I could see a collector interested as period pieces or Americana.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
At the same time, this one is even more overpriced- unless it has value as a unique. Seller says unsmoked. Did Dunhill coat their bowls?
@$4500.-- (!)
s-l1600.jpg

Jan 8, 2013
At the same time, this one is even more overpriced- unless it has value as a unique. Seller says unsmoked. Did Dunhill coat their bowls?
I quite often see pipes on Ebay listed as "unsmoked" when clearly they have been.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I quite often see pipes on Ebay listed as "unsmoked" when clearly they have been.
Well ... at these prices I would be very upset with the seller, if that is actually true.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
My last yacht was a 12" tin skiff used to navigate floodwaters. It didn't seem right to smoke the Royal Yacht on it, so I went with Prince Albert.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
ebay is a good sales platform for this set. You can see the pretty parts and not the ugly parts. If I had that pipe budget, I'd buy in person. Or a tenth of that price point. I'm intrigued to hear a negative review on the silver work from a pro. It looked quite dandy to me, so I'll look again. Auctions live on impulse buying; that's the profit.

Jan 10, 2014
AIP Meerschaum Working Group's catalog of the world's meerschaum pipe carvers (excluding Turkey) c. 1800–1925 does not list a carver using the name RMP or United States Meerschaum. One of these pipes was definitely smoked and incompletely cleaned; it is not new. The case and lining are too new looking to be circa 1890 even if it had been locked in a vault for 127 years. Seller provided no provenance, in particular, how he knows the pipe set's age. The only pipe seller I could locate is R. M. Perkins who began smoking cigarettes in 2006 and deals only in briar pipes. This one smells fishy; caveat emptor (buyer beware).

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I also questioned the price when I read the loose stem justified as "vintage and delicate."

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thank heavens I don't find those meers attractive at all. Whew! Otherwise, $3000 would have flown out of my wallet!
And check this out- $4K for a bunch of stems or cigar holders.
s-l1600.jpg

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
It's not expensive enough for my taste. I only buy pipes at $3000.00 and above

Cheapskate!

I will not even look at anything under $10,000

Seriously though, I've always wanted one with an amber stem...just not those

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
The pipe set was made by the Robert M Prophet Pipe Company (hence"RMP"), which was the "exclusive manufacturer of United States Meerschaum Pipes" per a snippet in the March 27, 1915 issue of Tobacco. The founder, Robert Mathias Prophet, was an active (presumably apprentice) meerschaum carver as early as the 1880 census, when he was 15 years old. Born in NY, Prophet was in the Boston area by 1894 and remained there through 1897 working at Ehrlich's shop on Court Street. In 1898 he moved to NY/NJ, where he worked for one of the many manufacturers located in the area. By 1910 Prophet was listed as a pipe manufacturer, and presumably in business for himself. His son Robert M Prophet junior was intermittently involved in his father's business, but from the twenties on was more active in the emerging opportunities as a dealer in automobiles. Robert senior was still associated with smokers articles as late as 1926. Along the way he found time, in 1920, to apply for and receive a patent which described an improved method of attaching removable bowls using a push instead of the usual screw; the patent was assigned to Reiss-Premier.
Given the above, as well as the materials used, my guess would be the pipes listed on eBay date from the teens.

Status
Not open for further replies.