PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

spicy_boiii

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California
Jealous, I want one of her pipes (one day), and always like that color scheme.

I know it's a pain to type stuff out, but I'd be interested in the details of how it smokes:

How open is the draw? What's the slot at the bit look like? Is it funneled? Is the tenon chamfered? Tightness of the stem to stummel fit? Hard to tell from other pics I've found. Feel free to PM me if its not something you want to state publicly.

How open is the draw? What's the slot at the bit look like? Is it funneled? Is the tenon chamfered? Tightness of the stem to stummel fit?
1. I find the draw quite perfect and effortless. To be honest I can adjust my cadence ranging from Meerschaum which has under 3 mm draft hole, to Savinelli 6 mm tenons, so I did not ask her, but should be in the range3.5 mm to 4.2 mm draft hole, and a slightly larger airway.

2. It is a funneled bit. It’s a commission and she asked me how would I like the bit, and I said traditional. Maybe she can create the bit you would prefer.

3. The tenon is not chamfered. It’s a reverse tenon-mortise fit. Look into the unfinished picture with the metal sticking out? that’s the tenon and the mortise is in the stem

4. It is a snug fit held in place by friction

It smokes wonderfully, and it’s perfect airway drilling.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
But isn't the airway the stainless steel shaft that (presumably) runs from the draft hole in the chamber to the protusion where it forms the tenon?

It's superbly engineered, fo' sho'!

Reactions: cshubhra

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
What a lovely pipe. I have an Eldritch Pipes Slender Man, with a similar (but not as long) pencil shank. He uses carbon fibre as the supporting rod / reverse tenon.
Same basic idea as Scottie's. Scottie uses a surgical steel tubing for support. She used to test their sturdiness by dropping the pipes from about 16' onto concrete. Only one snapped and that was because it hit with the shank end dead on with the concrete surface. The other aspect of this kind of construction is that the airway is smooth all the way from the chamber to the slot. No gaps, no turbulence, no issues. Keeping the airway clean is effortless.

Nobody makes a better smoking pipe than Scottie Piersel IMHO.