PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Moldy tobacco. It was years ago.
There was a potential issue with 2016 Carolina Red Flake. 2400 tins. They did the right thing, and issued a recall. If one was so inclined, they would refund your purchase, or replace it with something else.

It wasn’t a widespread issue. Most if not all manufacturers have had incidents with mold in their tobacco. And in all cases I’m aware of they have offered to replace the tins.

The whole “Cornell & Diehl mold” fallacy is beyond worn out. I bought 10 tins of 2016 CRF. No mold, smoked em all…

There was a potential issue with 2016 Carolina Red Flake. 2400 tins. They did the right thing, and issued a recall. If one was so inclined, they would refund your purchase, or replace it with something else.

It wasn’t a widespread issue. Most if not all manufacturers have had incidents with mold in their tobacco. And in all cases I’m aware of they have offered to replace the tins.

The whole “Cornell & Diehl mold” fallacy is beyond worn out. I bought 10 tins of 2016 CRF. No mold, smoked em all…
Out of all of the Ford Pintos, only 27 were actually damaged in rear end collisions. Whereas, that very same year 310 Toyota Corollas exploded, and 373 VW Beetles exploded. Datsun's 1200 came in at over 400 explosions.

However, because of one joke on Johnny Carson, what car do we all remember exploding?

The percentage of C&D tins with mold that year were actually pretty close to mold reported to all tobacco companies. However, because of the forum magnifying glass effect, it made it so that C&D stood out more... plus, it didn't help that some were exaggerated by drama queens that kept bringing it up like those retold Pinto jokes over and over.

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg

Agreed. I just thought it was a funny picture with mushrooms apparently growing out from the cake. I didn't mean to cast any shade on C&D. They're the #1 blending house around. I've never had a moldy tin of tobacco (yet).

Last edited:

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
I picked up a lb. from SP, I passed on it the last time.
I’m sitting on my patio smoking some 2022 folklore. With some age on it it’s, quite wonderful. I am getting an itchy trigger finger on the 2023 release. I said I wasn’t gonna buy it this year cause I still had plenty from last year I’m working through. But, I’m telling myself this stuff with some age on it is pretty damn good and if you bought the 2023 you could let it age…😏

Zero

Lifer
Apr 9, 2021
TX
I’m sitting on my patio smoking some 2022 folklore. With some age on it it’s, quite wonderful. I am getting an itchy trigger finger on the 2023 release. I said I wasn’t gonna buy it this year cause I still had plenty from last year I’m working through. But, I’m telling myself this stuff with some age on it is pretty damn good and if you bought the 2023 you could let it age…😏
Thank you. I was tempted to nab another lb or two, but I vented and placed an order for some Sutliff 307 Mocha Strips from TobaccoPipes. I haven't tried that one yet. It's starting to get crowded in my home, lol.

Chalaw87

Can't Leave
Apr 21, 2021
Northeast TN
Im somewhat suprised that as of now Folklore has not sold out. It seems like the past several 'limited' releases, including companies besides C&D, eg Sutliff Cringle Flake, have sold out but havent sold out almost immediately as in times past. I wonder if the blending houses are making larger batches or if there is just less demand?

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Im somewhat suprised that as of now Folklore has not sold out. It seems like the past several 'limited' releases, including companies besides C&D, eg Sutliff Cringle Flake, have sold out but havent sold out almost immediately as in times past. I wonder if the blending houses are making larger batches or if there is just less demand?

Are you suggesting that Folklore has lost its luster? puffy

Reactions: Fralphog

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
Are you suggesting that Folklore has lost its luster? puffy
There’s been a lot of special releases recently. I think people who like Folklore may buy some more, others may be wanting to try it that missed out last year?
The fact that it’s still for sale indicates more supply then demand for sure-
it’s hard for me not to think that the current economic stressors are not playing some roll?

geoffs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2022
Ontario
I'm not sure I understand the logic behind the one pound brick. I guess it's part of the novelty but it's probably keeping a lot of potential buyers away, especially the more casual crowd who might smoke a lot less frequently.

Reactions: Fralphog