Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Jan 27, 2020
No one seems to care about flounder anymore. I remember when I was growing up broiled flounder was respected and offered at nearly every continental type restaurant now it seems that it has no cache, sadly. I have eaten many varieties of fish, some rarefied, some not and I have come to the conclusion that flounder is one of the finest eating fish know to the 7 seas. I like its mild taste, broiled with a bit of butter and a squeeze of lemon, flecked with some fresh chervil: simply heavenly! Perhaps it's just a fluke that my favorite fish is relatively inexpensive, and maybe it's actually due to its lower price compared to things like tuna and sea bass that no one cares to talk about flounder anymore; as it's seen as a pedestrian's pescatarian meal. So be it! As long as the local mongers manage to move it, I will have my flounder and eat it too.

Jan 27, 2020
My mother would push me down a set of stairs to get to a plate of crab stuffed flounder.

We used to catch them in the Chesapeake when I was a child.

View attachment 154619

Your Mom knew what's up!!

The few times as a kid that I fished on the bay side of various barrier islands in NJ I think flounder or fluke were the only things I caught. I wrongly believed up until a few months ago that fluke was the same as flounder but a fish monger set me straight.

Also, I'd take most any crab over lobster any day.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
In the fall when it was chilly I would go to the dams in Marsh island with my wife, no limit then, would throw out cast nets and catch over 20 big ones. Wife would filet down the middle , take out bones and stuff with crab meat, very good but I like them fried. My all time catch was 28, I gave a lot to Old Cajuns around my farm with Redfish, it was much appreciated.

Flatfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
Used to catch them where I used to live. My dad likes them. I can't stand them.
Flatfish was a CB radio handle given to me by my grandfathers CB radio friend. I wasn't into CB radio, but it makes a nice avatar and user name.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Jan 27, 2020
If you ask me the worse fish ever is tilapia likely because it's all farmed. I don't care what anyone says but I can certainly taste when fish is farmed. I think tilapia sort of replaced flounder at certain places because it's cheaper while flounder was taken off the menu at more upscale places because the uninformed consumer has the perception that it's a cheap fish. If you like more oily fish I find bluefish to be an incredible bargain, the local place I buy fish at which never peddles anything past its due, had bluefish at $8 a lb last time I was there and the monger sort of confirmed my suspicions that know one really buys it due to some misguided perception of cost related to quality.

Jan 27, 2020
Flounder is best as sashimi fresh off the hook. Not with wasabi and soy sauce, but with Korean pepper paste and vinegar. It's rather delicate fish to handle cooking. And amount of meat you get out per fish isn't that great. No specific taste to associate with it either.

I often see fluke pre-prepared for sashimi at H-mart.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Yep, I concur. My favorite has always been sanddabs, with a butter/white wine reduction, capers, a little dill, and a lemon wedge on the side.

Tilapia is definitely the PBR of the fish world. Not surprised to know that it's all farm raised. Blech! ?

Reactions: username