PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sonnya

Lurker
Aug 3, 2022
I have bought many different packs searching for that great flavored stuff I could just kick back and have a relaxing smoke. But, I don't taste flavors. I taste the Black Cavendish and it's good but never a cherry, caramel, chocolate, apple none of these flavors. Is it that I haven't been smoking long enough

Reactions: yanoJL and JOHN72

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
I have bought many different packs searching for that great flavored stuff I could just kick back and have a relaxing smoke. But, I don't taste flavors. I taste the Black Cavendish and it's good but never a cherry, caramel, chocolate, apple none of these flavors. Is it that I haven't been smoking long enough
Welcome? Go slow. The most flavorful aromatic that I have had is Dan Tobacco Devil's Holiday. If its flavor doesn't come through, then you may need to get your taste buds checked! ;)

Reactions: username

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The only aromatics in my cellar are Cult Blood Red Moon and Sutliff Molto Dolce. I only smoke them when non smokers are over which isn't often. No one complains about the smell and honestly they don't taste that bad. The snap crackle and pop of the Molto Dolce is kind of cool.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
If you are not tasting the flavor I would suggest smoking them slower. Aromatic tobacco can be difficult if you are new to pipes smoking because you do not realize just slow your smoking cadence needs to be. If you pull to hard or to often when smoking a pipe, the heat created will completely destroy any flavor and all you get is hot tasteless air.

By the way, what brands of pipe tobacco have you tried so far?

CallMeSangy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2022
Central Virginia
You might be going through a bit of tongue fatigue without even knowing it. Can easily happen when trying new blends frequently, since you don't know exactly the way it should taste for yourself on a personal basis.

Could also be your not smoking something with a strong enough flavor for your palate. Some people are super tasters that are used to picking out subtle and distinct characteristics from their smokes.

And to your last suggestion, how long have you been smoking? As a relative newcomer myself i've seen a drastic increase in my ability taste the differences in smokes in even a few months. Where a flavor could be dull before, it stands out much more easily after a bit of time. You'll find something you really enjoy sooner or later. There's too many blends for that not to happen.

Reactions: JOHN72

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
With a few exceptions, I think the idea with flavored tobacco, aromatics, is that the flavoring is supposed to accent and set up the tobacco flavors, not the other way around. The flavoring is to give the Virginia, burley, Orientals, Latakia, Perique, etc. another dimension to play against. So if you are looking for a chocolate bar in a chocolate aromatic, you won't get it, nor a glass of bourbon, nor a licorice stick, nor a tablespoon of molasses, etc.

I think getting small quantities of good non-aromatic Virginias and burleys, usually blended in some way, will give you a good concept of what pipe smoking flavor can be, so if you go back to aromatics, you'll have a basis to compare. Start with small samples, an ounce or two in bulk or a pouch or one tin, and select something mild, and smoke it slowly.

Nothing wrong with having a glass of bourbon with any blend, or chocolate bar, or whatever. A bowl of cherries.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
With a few exceptions, I think the idea with flavored tobacco, aromatics, is that the flavoring is supposed to accent and set up the tobacco flavors, not the other way around. The flavoring is to give the Virginia, burley, Orientals, Latakia, Perique, etc. another dimension to play against. So if you are looking for a chocolate bar in a chocolate aromatic, you won't get it, nor a glass of bourbon, nor a licorice stick, nor a tablespoon of molasses, etc.

I think getting small quantities of good non-aromatic Virginias and burleys, usually blended in some way, will give you a good concept of what pipe smoking flavor can be, so if you go back to aromatics, you'll have a basis to compare. Start with small samples, an ounce or two in bulk or a pouch or one tin, and select something mild, and smoke it slowly.

Nothing wrong with having a glass of bourbon with any blend, or chocolate bar, or whatever. A bowl of cherries.
I had a few blends that really gave me a great citrus taste while smoking. The flavor stopped when I once drank water with my pipe instead of Mountain Dew. It's weird how what you eat/drink while smoking changes the flavors of the tobacco.

• Love
Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Took me quite some time to get much from aromatics - combination of experiences with all sorts of tobaccos and honestly, sense of taste and smell finally back full time (took around a year plus) after COVID and not much from aros at all the first many months of pipe smoking. The rums, maples, cherries started coming through as a complement more and more this spring and summer (so I’ve been a little overboard with them lately). Getting back to Virginias as of today, and plenty of flavor there. Then back to some English when it gets colder. I love Lakelands when out walking in the cold weather. Just keep experimenting.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Took me quite some time to get much from aromatics - combination of experiences with all sorts of tobaccos and honestly, sense of taste and smell finally back full time (took around a year plus) after COVID and not much at all the first many months of pipe smoking. The rums, maples, cherries started coming through as a complement more and more this spring and summer (so I’ve been a little overboard with them lately). Getting back to Virginias as of today, and plenty of flavor there. Then back to some English when it gets colder. I love Lakelands when out walking in the cold weather. Just keep experi
I had a few blends that really gave me a great citrus taste while smoking. The flavor stopped when I once drank water with my pipe instead of Mountain Dew. It's weird how what you eat/drink while smoking changes the flavors of the tobacco.
Yes! I had a blend on a road trip last week with a Dr. Pepper - made an interesting difference! Don’t really drink pop at all most of the time so doubt I’ll recreate that. Had a blend I like with some whisky last weekend - didn’t like it so much with that, lol. I rarely smoke in the morning, but when I do and have some good coffee, I get why so many find coffee a great companion with the pipe.

Reactions: Browny and didimauw

CallMeSangy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2022
Central Virginia
That's funny, but I find the exact opposite to be true for myself. A nice sip of water cleanses my palate well enough for a better taste, though most of what I drink is water anyway. I might have to try some sodas or other drinks and see how it suits me.

Reactions: anotherbob

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
A lot of Posts with very little to go on 😂
Lack of information makes for the best posts. The only way anyone is going to be able to discern the depth of our knowledge is when we are adept enough to discern an OP’s true need by reading between the lines and using our hunches. :eek::LOL::col:

Reactions: AJL67

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
It takes awhile until you can pick things out. Until then, all things taste pretty much same. Try Latakia blend. You will pick it up right away. All those OTC blends are also nice. Most of 'em are flavored burley and if don't pick up the flavor, at least they are not expensive. I don't do aromatics, but can be ok once in awhile.

Hovannes

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2021
Fresno, CA
It's rare that an aromatic blend will taste like it smells.
I started smoking Sail Green, which was a big hit with college coeds back in the day but it burned my tongue to a crisp.
An old timer told me I should smoke for my own enjoyment and not to entice chicks. So for the longest time I avoided aromatics until rather recently when I found some I actually enjoyed mainly for their ghosting properties. A bowl of Peter Stokebbeye's Cherry bonbon could work magic when followed by a strong Latakia blend.
Of course PS Cherry Bonbon actually tasted like cherries, and sadly is no longer available.

Reactions: Briar Lee