PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I smoke flakes almost exclusively and fold and stuff almost all the time. hoosierpipeguy's method is what I use. The other methods I will use is a cube cut for mostly plugs and rip and tear with a wraparound flake like Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake or Astleys no 109.

I have one ready rubbed flake in my cellar the Capstan Gold RR. I rip off hunks and stuff them into my pipe and light up. Works just fine. I bought this because it was from 2013 stock when I bought it in June of 2019.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
When I first smoked flake, I fold and stuffed it. No pushing, no twisting, no getting the tinder. Carefully fold and gently stuffed the flake into the chamber. Didn't work. So, I fully rubbed it and let it dry for the smoke. Now, I fold it then bend it here and there, twist it a little, stuff it and use what's fallen on the tobacco mat (paper dish) as the tinder. Works like a charm.

PipesRock

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2020
Florida
Experiment. Also as others said denser flakes may require a different approach. The flake matters... ie.. I have a SG FVF out now in the air conditioning on a paper towel drying for 24+ hours. Tomorrow I'll rub it out on the paper towel and let sit likely another half hour to hour during dinner. Then I may still need to microwave it 9 seconds and air dry 5-10 more minutes. Where a Peterson De Luxe Navy roll (2 actually) I will rub out and dry about 30 min to an hour then smoke.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
It depends on the flake, but I'm mostly a roller-upper and stuffer. The main thing for me is to lodge it in about 3/4 down the chamber so there's plenty of room in the bottom around the airway. Don't know why, but it works like a charm for me every time. Rubbery flakes like Irish Flake are really easy to learn on, I found. Once I got those down, I was able to figure out the more crumbly VA flakes.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I treat flakes like I do my pipe selection and tobacco selection. It is what I feel like in the moment. Sometimes I fold and stuff, sometimes I cube cut, sometimes I rub into ribbons, and sometimes I mix these methods. The bottom line is that, they all will work, if you develop the correct smoking technique. How the tobacco is prepared may marginally effect the flavor, as the burn will vary. I would suggest that becoming proficient with all the various preparations just adds to the variety and enjoyment of pipe smoking.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have some good flake on hand, but it's been a long time since I've smoked any. This reminds me to do so. Flake and plug, etc., seem to keep their flavor longer. Like many cooking spices, I think they release more flavor when the pieces are broken up in rubbing out or even just folding and stuffing. You get something extra with flake, coin, plug, and rope. It's just that loose tobacco is so quick and easy.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I treat flakes like I do my pipe selection and tobacco selection. It is what I feel like in the moment. Sometimes I fold and stuff, sometimes I cube cut, sometimes I rub into ribbons, and sometimes I mix these methods. The bottom line is that, they all will work, if you develop the correct smoking technique. How the tobacco is prepared may marginally effect the flavor, as the burn will vary. I would suggest that becoming proficient with all the various preparations just adds to the variety and enjoyment of pipe smoking.

Ditto this. It's definitely worth your time to get proficient at all of the methods. I tend to fold and stuff, though I occasionally cube cut. I almost never fully rub out, as I've found I prefer the burning qualities when it's still in compressed form. It did take me a while to get proficient at fold and stuff, but I'm glad I took the time to learn as it saves me time later. Less prep

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
Fold in half length wise, fold in half width wise. Grab each end, push together gently, twist gently. Stuff into bowl. I smoke flake 80% of the time, this method has served me well.
This kind of advice is exactly why this forum in invaluable! Thanks for the tip! I'll be rushing home to break out some flakes later tonight!

Wade H

Lurker
Jan 13, 2020
Glendale Arizona
I prefer flakes, kakes, and plugs over loose leaf tobacco, but I didn't always. I had difficulties with all of the above when I first began smoking a pipe. I had to get totally in tune with the pipe smoking loose leaf blends, and being confident in airing out (drying) tobacco, before I could successfully tackle flakes, kakes, and plugs. Once I could, it opened up a whole new world of pipe tobacco to me.

All of the best blends (in my opinion) come in these delightful preparations. Flavors are able to marry and mature, into something outstanding, and it is well worth the extra time and practice it takes to get the hang of preparing them for the pipe.

It didn't happen overnight, but in time, and with trial and error, I got to the point where I greatly preferred compressed tobacco over loose leaf. One of my favorites is Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake, I often take two of the medallions and and place some Perique between them into a sandwich. I roll it up and stuff it in my pipe for an absolutely amazing smoke!

I like how cool and slowly stuffed flakes and coins burn, and I never fully break up Kake or plug. I do air them out, until they are dry but still pliable. If a flake, kake or piece of a plug turns into dust when you break it up, it's too dry and should be rehumidified.

Last edited:

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
Just in time! My order with 5 different flake tobaccos is scheduled to arrive in a couple of days. Now, I have a few techniques to experiment with. Thanks gentlemen!
What did flakes you order?

I like cube cutting flakes and plugs. The wetter the tobacco the finer I cut the cubes.

I have been smoking SG Full Virginia Plug (my first plug), which is known to be difficult to light up, by cutting very small cubes and then letting it dry. I've had no problems with it that way and have had very enjoyable first smokes.

Severus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 1, 2020
Vaughan, ON
What did flakes you order?

@tobefrank, I want to explore VA’s and VaPers so I ordered one ounce of each to try:
1. PS Luxury Bullseye Flake
2. PS Luxury Navy Flake
3. PS Luxury Twist Flake
4. Comoy’s Cask #4
5. Newmister #400 Superior Navy Flake

and a few ounces of ribbon cut tobaccos that I wanted to try As well like C&D Autumn Evening, Arango Supreme Balkan and Match Victorian (Elizabethan).

Can’t wait to get the order!

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
@tobefrank, I want to explore VA’s and VaPers so I ordered one ounce of each to try:
1. PS Luxury Bullseye Flake
2. PS Luxury Navy Flake
3. PS Luxury Twist Flake
4. Comoy’s Cask #4
5. Newmister #400 Superior Navy Flake

and a few ounces of ribbon cut tobaccos that I wanted to try As well like C&D Autumn Evening, Arango Supreme Balkan and Match Victorian (Elizabethan).

Can’t wait to get the order!
Sounds awesome, enjoy!