PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Relax62

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2023
Texas
I’ve read several threads, watched videos, and experienced two bowls of Navy Flake, which I enjoyed to the point of placing another order. I’ve smoked 4 more bowls in the last two days (two fold and stuffed, and two rubbed). They tasted pretty bland, one was too dry and smoked hot, the others were either too moist and wouldn’t stay lit, or I’m packing all wrong. I smoked in different pipes, tried smoking very slow, and just couldn’t get the flavor and enjoyment that I did initially. I really did like this tobacco, now I’m wondering if I should have ordered more! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated… I really did enjoy it! Also, are there any other recommendations for a smooth, easy smoking, flavorful (maybe a little on the sweet side) flake tobacco you guys would recommend. I also have some Orlik golden that I’m not sure if I like or not… jury is still out.

Reactions: seanv

VDL_Piper

Lifer
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
Try smoking in a wide bowl pipe like a pot, rub it out and pack it lightly. If it’s to loose it will just go out but that’s ok because as you tamp gently you will slowly compress the tobacco until the sweet spot of air/fuel mix happens. Then just smoke slowly concentrating on your cadence, no distractions and tamp gently as required.

Relax62

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2023
Texas
Try smoking in a wide bowl pipe like a pot, rub it out and pack it lightly. If it’s to loose it will just go out but that’s ok because as you tamp gently you will slowly compress the tobacco until the sweet spot of air/fuel mix happens. Then just smoke slowly concentrating on your cadence, no distractions and tamp gently as required.
Thank you! Should I let it dry out some?

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
Thank you! Should I let it dry out some?
I would. Many times drying your tobacco will improve the flavor. I don't want to dry my tobacco to the point that it is one step away from dust, but I do like my tobacco very dry. Why not give it a try and see what happens?

Dry your tobacco more, pack a bit more loosely, and smoke a bit slower. These things may help.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I’ve read several threads, watched videos, and experienced two bowls of Navy Flake, which I enjoyed to the point of placing another order. I’ve smoked 4 more bowls in the last two days (two fold and stuffed, and two rubbed). They tasted pretty bland, one was too dry and smoked hot, the others were either too moist and wouldn’t stay lit, or I’m packing all wrong. I smoked in different pipes, tried smoking very slow, and just couldn’t get the flavor and enjoyment that I did initially. I really did like this tobacco, now I’m wondering if I should have ordered more! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated… I really did enjoy it! Also, are there any other recommendations for a smooth, easy smoking, flavorful (maybe a little on the sweet side) flake tobacco you guys would recommend. I also have some Orlik golden that I’m not sure if I like or not… jury is still out.
Capstan Blue.
Macbaren HH Virginia Flake

elvishrunes

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2017
You may want to go to Smokingpipes.com and google; Virginia Flake aromatic. They are flavoured flakes that smell nice, and are a little sweeter, but still smoke like a Va. I’ve heard C/D Bijou is good, but haven’t tried it yet, soon, but heard positive things.

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
You may want to go to Smokingpipes.com and google; Virginia Flake aromatic. They are flavoured flakes that smell nice, and are a little sweeter, but still smoke like a Va. I’ve heard C/D Bijou is good, but haven’t tried it yet, soon, but heard positive things.
I wouldn't consider Bijou "aromatic" at all, though it's a really great blend.
Personally I think something closer to an aromatic VA would be PS Luxury Twist, MB Vanilla Flake and blends with a more noticeable topping.

elvishrunes

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2017
I wouldn't consider Bijou "aromatic" at all, though it's a really great blend.
Personally I think something closer to an aromatic VA would be PS Luxury Twist, MB Vanilla Flake and blends with a more noticeable topping.
Yes that’s sort of the point, a Virginia flake that has some topping, but smokes like Virgina with just a touch more sweetness, apparently it has honey topping. I was actually thinking Sun Bear, but it isn’t available, so apparently Bijou is close, but that is just what I’ve heard. Yes Mac B flake is along that line too, the topping is a strong vanilla, kind of fake smelling, but it certainly smokes like a Virginia, not too bad, but I wasn’t overly impressed. Maybe I’ll dig some out..

Reactions: seanv and Relax62
Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
Yes that’s sort of the point, a Virginia flake that has some topping, but smokes like Virgina with just a touch more sweetness, apparently it has honey topping. I was actually thinking Sun Bear, but it isn’t available, so apparently Bijou is close, but that is just what I’ve heard. Yes Mac B flake is along that line too, the topping is a strong vanilla, kind of fake smelling, but it certainly smokes like a Virginia, not too bad, but I wasn’t overly impressed. Maybe I’ll dig some out..
I see. The MB Vanilla smokes like an aro, but not goopy - actually enjoyable. The Bijou is like you describe - a VA blend with a touch of sweetness to it.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Definitely experiment with various levels of dry. Keep packing loose and be patient. Try some of these blends too

Newminster Navy Flake
Sutliff Virginia Slices
Peterson Flake

Reactions: Relax62
Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
I have not tried any VA’s with burley.
Brunello, as mentioned, is great stuff. G&H Bright and Burley is a great blend with a pleasant sweetness to it. I think it's overlooked by many but is just a great blend. MB Golden Extra would be in that VaBur with a sweetness category as well, though heavier on the Burley. Lastly, I'd add 2 Peterson blends to thay category - 3P and University Flake.

Edit - didn't mean to sidetrack this thread by adding burley. Just thought it may add something that you may find straight VA blends lacking.

Last edited:

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
Newminster 400??? I think it has sweetness at least for me.