PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Lucashly

Can't Leave
Jun 21, 2023
California
I’ve read several threads, watched videos, and experienced two bowls of Navy Flake, which I enjoyed to the point of placing another order. I’ve smoked 4 more bowls in the last two days (two fold and stuffed, and two rubbed). They tasted pretty bland, one was too dry and smoked hot, the others were either too moist and wouldn’t stay lit, or I’m packing all wrong. I smoked in different pipes, tried smoking very slow, and just couldn’t get the flavor and enjoyment that I did initially. I really did like this tobacco, now I’m wondering if I should have ordered more! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated… I really did enjoy it! Also, are there any other recommendations for a smooth, easy smoking, flavorful (maybe a little on the sweet side) flake tobacco you guys would recommend. I also have some Orlik golden that I’m not sure if I like or not… jury is still out.
What do these terms mean {fold and stuffed, and two rubbed}?

Lucashly

Can't Leave
Jun 21, 2023
California
Things I have learned from the Forum include gravity feed the tobacco, taping the side of the bowl until the tobacco fills to the top then add a little more tobacco on the top and gently press down the tobacco below the rim to hold it together. Then tap more than you think you should (even when it looks like it doesn't look like it needs taping), using only the weight of the tap, and then literally SIP the smoke through the stem. Also don't let the stem rest on your tongue. That will decrease the draft, making you inhale more and get tongue burn. These tips have helped me a lot. There are more tips but I hope this helps.

Reactions: Relax62

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
What do these terms mean {fold and stuffed, and two rubbed}?

More details in the thread linked below, but the short version, with flake tobacco, you can literally fold it up (like, fold in half long ways, then fold again short ways) and stuff it in, or you can put the flake in your hand and literally rub it out into a shag. You can also cube-cut it, which is literally cutting it into cubes:

Relax62

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2023
Texas
Burley should help with the "getting too hot" issue. It may be an easier smoke altogether, like an English blend. Then after some time when your comfortable with dryness and packing, you'll go to load a straight VA someday and find you love it or it's not for you. I think Virginias can be hard early on. Same with aros. Burley blends and English mixtures seem to be pretty easy and no-fuss blends. I for one smoked for some time before growing into VaPer and Straight VA blends - now it's about all I smoke.
Like anything, it takes time and a little effort - but try not to get frustrated. I found that early on, I was putting far too much thought into moisture level and packing method. My best smokes were ones I just left some tobacco out to dry and stuffed it in a pipe and went- the ole stuff & puff method. I continued just drying and loosely stuffing my bowls and found consistency in these great smokes. Eventually, it's what I found worked best for me - though some blends are more finicky than others.
Best of luck.
Great advice! I’ve struggled a bit finding some good Burley blends, though I haven’t looked too much, do you have any recommendations? I obviously like full flavor! And I do like a little sweetness (especially in the evenings).

JimPM

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2021
LNF is a standard in my rotation and yes it does get better with a little aging. If you are really looking for alternative VaPers, I find comfort with these myself.

BrandProduct Name
Cornell & DiehlBayou Morning
PetersonElizabethan Mixture
G. L. PeaseHaddo's Delight
Scandinavian Tobacco GroupEscudo Navy De Luxe
Wilke Pipe TobaccoLizzie Blood Red Virginia
G. L. PeasePenny Farthing
Cornell & DiehlAnthology
Pipes & CigarsFirestorm
Erik Stokkebye4th Generation Evening Flake
Watch City Cigar#558 Flake
Watch City CigarRouxgaroux