PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I have a little aluminum box, which I can't find right now, and can't find for sale anywhere. This thing holds about 4 normal soda crackers. I carried it when caving, many decades ago. It has a thick soft seal, and roller snaps on the ends. It works very well for crackers and I am sure it would be great for flakes. If I can find a small version for sale, I will post it. The large ones are everywhere and look just like the little one I have.
I just stumbled onto these. Although plastic they are well priced and look like they would work.
https://www.amazon.com/Plano-Small-Waterproof-Boxes-Quantity/dp/B000WTYYFG/ref=sr_1_8?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1512406513&sr=1-8&keywords=Weatherproof+aluminum+box
510NU4gPxlL._SX681_.jpg

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
This is what the metal box looks like.
box-aluminium-waterproof-silver-.jpg

box-aluminium-waterproof-silver-.jpg

Found here, looks like Germany or so...
https://www.milshed.com/en/boxes-and-transportation/1220-box-aluminium-waterproof-silver-.html?search_query=Metal+box&results=135

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Some of those square tins like Solanis and etc... never had a seal.

I think like we talk about with sponsors and such, there is a forum phenomena that occurs, when one person posts a problem, and then it gets dog piled,
No dog piling. Some containers like Solani Silver Flake and Exotic Orange were never meant to have a seal. The tobacco inside is in a cellophane bag, and should be jarred for long term storage.

Peterson's Summer Blends are that way also. But, I just leave them in the bags inside the tins and they always get better with age that way. I smoked some 2015 this summer and it was perfect. I also leave the four tins of Silver Flake in their original tins also.

Eventually I will get a chance to try the Rattray Orange. I tried the Planta's orange and it was not all that great, so I am hoping Rattrays is as good as you guys say.

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
For those keeping score, in my experience, round tins lose their seal 3x as often as squares. :puffpipe: :lol:
And for presentation and stuff, I'll miss the squares.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yeah, some used to think square tins were more likely to lose their seal and dry out. I think it's a nuanced engineering and packaging point with a low percentage of failures, but square tins might pop more leaks in shipping or otherwise being moved around. Once cellared or otherwise stored, I would think they'd be the same as round. Some of the blenders and retailers may have actual data on returned tins, but I doubt they're sharing it.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I just got some Irish Flake that is in square tins. I guess that means it a bit older?
I have some Mac Baren HH stuff in square tins. The 100 gram tins are nice and deep. I'll be hanging on to those.
jay-roger.jpg

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Can someone who had the defective Bengal Slices tin get in touch with me as this should not be happening and we need to know about this so we can beat up on the Oompa Lumpur's who make this stuff as dried out Fungal Slices is no acceptable.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Ogden's of Liverpool's St. Bruno is still in a square tin as of Jan 2016, the date on my latest tin of flakes. Seal is intact. :)

we need to know about this so we can beat up on the Oompa Lumpur's

I hear they can't stand Chinese water torture...

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Actually Mayfair70 they really cower in the corner when you threaten to jam a Wonker bar up their ar*e followed by multiple blows on the head with an Everlasting Gobb Stopper fired from a catapult! :rofl:

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
The reason for the switch to round tins is because of existing (Europe) and pending (US) labeling laws. The square tins don't have enough label surface to make it more viable.
Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.