Flake Does Not Stay Lit; Goes Out Every Minute!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

marko

Lurker
May 14, 2021
Europe
WOW! so much lovely welcomes !
Thank you very much and god bless you !

So many ideas, I get some new thoughts in my mind....
But first a question to you:

when a Flake taste like cigarette or hot pepper (Marlin Flake) is it to dry or to moist?
Then when I know this I can go further wirth my technique to solve this....- thank you.
For me it is not normal to dry out a Flake 3,4 or 5 hours or more.....

Have happy weekend
Markus

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I’ve always considered Flakes as just a Production Method/Process, marinating flavors together differently under compression, and how you smoke it doesn’t matter.

Folded and Stuffed Flake, vs Ribbons, seems more like a preference than anything else.

I’ve folded and stuffed and rubbed out, in the end, the tabac tasted the same, the only difference being, having a folded up wad in the chamber was more difficult lighting and tamping, so I personally just rub out the amount I’m going to smoke, and let it dry a little.

Rubbed out works easier I find in the chamber, lighting, tamping, etc...

Last edited:

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
Depends on your climate and humidity but I dry my flakes overnight for 8 hours or more. They can seem dry to the touch but still contain a fair bit of moisture in the leaf. You can put your dried flake back in a jar and give it a day or two for the moisture to even out again and sometimes you'll find it's actually more moist than you thought. Just experiment, 6, 8, 12, 24 hrs and see what you like best.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I’ve always considered Flakes as just a Production Method/Process, marinating flavors together differently under compression, and how you smoke it doesn’t matter.

Folded and Stuffed Flake, vs Ribbons, seems more like a preference than anything else.

I’ve folded and stuffed and rubbed out, in the end, the tabac tasted the same, the only difference being, having a folded up wad in the chamber was more difficult lighting and tamping, so I personally just rub out the amount I’m going to smoke, and let it dry a little.

Rubbed out works easier I find in the chamber, lighting, tamping, etc...
Yes and no. I actually think people who come out with a blend choose the cut based on what they think represent the blend the best.

As to how you smoke it, it's completely up to you. But to taste the blend as it's intended, it's worth awhile to smoke it as it is.

I did have few issues when I first tried flakes, but was lucky to read the forum and found a solution. Now, I don't think about what I'm doing. Just prep and smoke. I still have some issue with flakes if I don't pay attention. I tamp very often with flake to keep it going. This, on occasions lead to compacted tobacco at the end. But usually it's at very end. Need to figure out how to smoke that bit. I think I have a solution.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
I've been playing with flakes lately and so far it works best when they are packed "as pancakes", as some members suggest in other threads. I cut a flake in big squares so they barely fit the chamber, put them one over another in several layers and crumble some on the top. Let it dry over night in a dry room or close to a source of heat and it will burn great. It tastes different to me than just rubbed out and burns better than folded and stuffed.

Reactions: Charlie718

Fiddlepiper

Apr 22, 2020
Scotland
www.danielthorpemusic.com
I smoke a lot of flake tobacco I find I can smoke it slower more easily and get more flavour from it. I rub it in my palms and then leave to dry for varying times depending on the brand but at least an hour usually. Keep the pack nice and loose and if I have to relight a few times so be it.

Experiment and don’t stress too much over it. ?

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
actually many psychologists are admitting that nicotine can be a very mentally therapeutic drug.
That statement needs some citations to support. I doubt it.

• Nicotine has mood-altering effects that can temporarily mask the negative symptoms of mental health disorders, putting people with such disorders at higher risk for cigarette use and nicotine addiction.2,8
  • Tobacco smoke can interact with and inhibit the effectiveness of certain medications taken by patients with behavioral health conditions, often resulting in the need for higher medication doses to achieve the same therapeutic benefit.
Tobacco Use and Quitting Among Individuals With Behavioral Health Conditions | CDC

Reactions: Apipeinthewoods

rajangan

Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
That statement needs some citations to support. I doubt it.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA

“Possible “ and “may” are not evidence.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Those are common terms found in nearly every single scientific article due to the fact that when statistical analysis is used, there is always a degree of uncertainty in the size of the effect and the direction of causation.
Not really. Those are terms that are used when there is no conclusion. It sort of like the tug of war over the years with coffee and caffeine.

That said, if you have behavior problem or mental disease, there is science to support what I posted from the CDC.

Smoking a pipe can be enjoyable if you learn the skills to taste the tobacco. Pipes are wonderful tools and the history interesting plus collecting is what many enjoy. And, relaxing with a bowl can be quite appealing. I just wouldn't want to suggest that your mental health is helped by nicotine, but you can choose to think whatever you want. I'll not argue. I was addicted to chewing tobacco for 25 years and nicotine addiction isn't fun.

Reactions: puff_not_snuff