Flake Does Not Stay Lit; Goes Out Every Minute!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
WOW! so much lovely welcomes !
Thank you very much and god bless you !

So many ideas, I get some new thoughts in my mind....
But first a question to you:

when a Flake taste like cigarette or hot pepper (Marlin Flake) is it to dry or to moist?
Then when I know this I can go further wirth my technique to solve this....- thank you.
For me it is not normal to dry out a Flake 3,4 or 5 hours or more.....

Have happy weekend
Markus
I live in a very dry area (Las Vegas - only 4% humidity the other day) and I don't dry most of my tobacco at all. Some blends do really benefit from it though.

Another thing that has really helped, specifically for Capstan Gold Flake, is I found a pipe that the chamber dimensions are perfect for exactly one flake and my packing technique. This way I never have to guess at how much of the flake to use, I just use 1. Some flakes are around 7 inches long and have to be cut up before use or they are much thicker, etc.

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
Er, ah, how long? How did you dry it? (Air inside. outside; oven, microwave, stove, etc.)
Inside, relative humidity is 46% in my gun room, which is where my pipes and tobacco get stored.
I've tried as little as 1/2hr all the way up to 12hrs, made little to no difference. and I made sure I rubbed them good then spread it out on a paper towel.
But yeah, rub out seems to still work the best for flakes for me. Gonna have another go at some Windjammer tonight, try again.

Charlie718

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2021
Bronx, New York
Inside, relative humidity is 46% in my gun room, which is where my pipes and tobacco get stored.
I've tried as little as 1/2hr all the way up to 12hrs, made little to no difference. and I made sure I rubbed them good then spread it out on a paper towel.
But yeah, rub out seems to still work the best for flakes for me. Gonna have another go at some Windjammer tonight, try again.
If at first you don’t succeed... Also if you store your alcohol in that room you’d have a room dedicated to 3 of the best products on the market lol

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA

You might try a couple of days!

(Great reply; thanks.)

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Had Twist Flake today. Since I knew it was going to be a flake day, took out two flakes on paper plate before anything else. About an hour and half, I flipped it over. There are two sides to a flake. After another 90 min, I fold it, worked it down the length, so it will burn easy, and stuffed the pipe with it. No issues keeping the light going. But I do tamp a lot smoking flakes to make sure embers in contact with tobacco.