PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I really like coffee, but I have to admit that some of the culture that has sprung up (or that I've started noticing, anyway) puzzles me a bit. Like, I absolutely loved the hell out of the coffee I had in Italy, France and Spain. They all pretty much seemed to serve one of a couple brands in each country, and nothing that appeared to be especially fancy. All seemed to be darker roasts. Hard to believe they're enjoying coffee incorrectly.

Then again, I do see the point of those who believe that lighter roasts allow more of the unique characteristics of the beans to come through, and who love to sample single origin beans from different countries and regions and get into the fine details of preparation. I mean, I am smoking a cigar right now and along with pipe tobacco, there are a lot of similarities between appreciating tobaccos and coffees, so I certainly can't judge anyone.
that's part of the fun of all these things you can choose how deeply you get into the details. There is a certain balance that some people seem to over step. Like they take it so seriously they killed the fun, however a little seriousness is great if it leads to more enjoyment. That's the bottom line. What are you looking for.

If you want like what you get at the barista's, you need to get a machine like the Barista uses.

Semi-auto or auto machines will leave you wanting more and you will have spent north of half what a GOOD espresso machine will cost you. I have a Rocket R-58 on my counter but if I had known about Quickmill at the time, I probably would have bought one of theirs. Much better priced and as good in quality IMHO.... If you buy a real machine, you will be passing it down to your kids in a few decades.

No need for a double boiler if you don't do foo-foo drinks on a regular basis. A single boiler will do foo-foos perfectly and they are 1/2 to 2/3 the price. Buy a real Espresso machine and take care of it, and you will never have to buy another coffeemaker again.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I've watched a few videos and it does seem to have a bit of a ritual to it, maybe a bit more work than a semi-automatic type machine, but probably quicker and easier than a moka pot. One of the appealing things to me is that it seems made up of pretty simple parts and doesn't look like something that would break easily. I had a $50 Mr. Coffee espresso machine from Wal-Mart that actually worked surprisingly well... For about 3 months.. And I just can't really afford the several hundred bucks and up that a good quality semi-auto machine seems to cost.
I have a Mr. Coffee espresso machine that I got over a decade ago. Maybe you got a bad one.

Reactions: danimalia

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I really like coffee, but I have to admit that some of the culture that has sprung up (or that I've started noticing, anyway) puzzles me a bit. Like, I absolutely loved the hell out of the coffee I had in Italy, France and Spain. They all pretty much seemed to serve one of a couple brands in each country, and nothing that appeared to be especially fancy. All seemed to be darker roasts. Hard to believe they're enjoying coffee incorrectly.

Then again, I do see the point of those who believe that lighter roasts allow more of the unique characteristics of the beans to come through, and who love to sample single origin beans from different countries and regions and get into the fine details of preparation. I mean, I am smoking a cigar right now and along with pipe tobacco, there are a lot of similarities between appreciating tobaccos and coffees, so I certainly can't judge anyone.

Yup! Those who insist on drinking only the rarest single origin coffee beans lightly roasted, ground and prepared in a just-so method, have many parallels here.
And those who love dark beans (for me, in a cappuccino) think the other group is prissy and pretentious. Parallels here, too!

Smoke and drink what you love, and love what you smoke and drink!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
If you want like what you get at the barista's, you need to get a machine like the Barista uses.

Semi-auto or auto machines will leave you wanting more and you will have spent north of half what a GOOD espresso machine will cost you. I have a Rocket R-58 on my counter but if I had known about Quickmill at the time, I probably would have bought one of theirs. Much better priced and as good in quality IMHO.... If you buy a real machine, you will be passing it down to your kids in a few decades.

No need for a double boiler if you don't do foo-foo drinks on a regular basis. A single boiler will do foo-foos perfectly and they are 1/2 to 2/3 the price. Buy a real Espresso machine and take care of it, and you will never have to buy another coffeemaker again.
I got the Quickmill Andreja Premium seven years ago (via Chris' Coffee near Albany, NY) and am very happy with it. Have only had to replace the pump a few years ago. It, too, is a single boiler, and yet I can pull a shot and foam the milk at the same time.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'm on the second one of these. The first one lasted 8 to 9 years, so its a decent investment for a very close match to cafe style espresso machines.
You've done well! I bought a Breville- a cheaper unit- and turned it back in after a few days. I've shied away from all Breville products ever since. Maybe not fair, but I can't get behind their flash, but not-quite-there products. (Judgement based on working with other Breville machines_

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I have one and they pull very nice shots. they are a lot of work though since you have to clean every single thing before you can pull another shot. You have to preheat all the parts in hot water before your pull too and the "brew group" is made of stainless so it is pretty hot to handle...

It is a close as you can get to a shot from a commercial type Espresso machine for a reasonable price.

It will only pull singles so if you are a double guy, your first single WILL be stone cold before you a ready to pull another.
Wow. Not for me

Reactions: danimalia

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA

Light roasts give off the aroma of Cheetah piss

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Not getting the cat piss yet but I imagine that what you’re getting is the higher acidity that’s in lighter roasts compared to darker roasts. I think my beans probably fall more into the medium roast category. Tastes pretty good though!

View attachment 79000
I think that is why I am having trouble enjoying light roasts... The acidity. I can enjoy a light roast as a rare change of pace, and I do notice more flavors coming through, but overall they often taste tart and sour to me.

That's a beautiful looking cup there!

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
I think that is why I am having trouble enjoying light roasts... The acidity. I can enjoy a light roast as a rare change of pace, and I do notice more flavors coming through, but overall they often taste tart and sour to me.

That's a beautiful looking cup there!
I would try grinding a little bit courser or dropping the water temperature a bit to see if that keeps you from pulling out so much acidity. But if that doesn’t work, then I would go for a slightly more roasted coffee of course.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I have a Mr. Coffee espresso machine that I got over a decade ago. Maybe you got a bad one.
I probably bought mine around the same time... Was it from Wal-Mart? Mine was. I have heard that sometimes otherwise reliable brands will have lower quality models that they sell to Wal-Mart because the chain puts such intense price pressure on suppliers that it is difficult for them to supply the same quality at the price Wal-Mart demands. I am sure I got unlucky. I have had other Mr. Coffee products that have been good.

Status
Not open for further replies.