PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Just spray paint the stem black when it oxidizes LOL
I got a pipe from an estate pipe seller a few years ago that had the stem dyed black with Fiebings leather dye... :mad: I was pissed to say the least. It actually looked pretty good at a glance or on a computer screen, but it was evident what had been done as soon as I put it my mouth.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Out of curiosity - if you have a stem that is heavily oxidized and you remove it via OxyClean or something similar, what effect does that have on the integrity of the stem itself? Does it become more brittle? Or is the effect not meaningful enough to notice?
OXYclean accelerates OXIdation, it actually causes oxidation. It can be helpfull with stubborn stems in that it will accelerate oncoming oxidation and loosen it so it can be removed. It can also cause so much oxidation that it destroys the stem. Use with caution. Even with oxiclean you will still have to remove the oxidation by mechanical/abrasive means.

Zeno Marx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
This is NOT a remedy to make it mirror shiny, but you might have these around the house. They've already been mentioned, so I'm a +1 on magic eraser and then toothpaste. I believe the magic eraser is analagous to around 1200 grit micromesh? Or is it 1500? It's around there anyway. So hit it with a magic eraser and then follow up with the good ol' white toothpaste and a cotton cloth. These two things won't make it look like mirror black, but you know?

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I’ve restored most of my oxidized stems with grapeseed oil 4/0 steel wool and elbow grease. The really bad ones, I’ve used toothpaste. Then follow up with Obsidian oil.

I used to use hot water to bend stems but now I use a microwave.

Go easy, 30 seconds at a time, try bending, repeat.
59A10C52-D911-40C1-8D77-D02FC06E432F.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: monty55

Zeno Marx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
Toothpaste is how I get a mirror shine on my restorations but I thumb buff the stem with it.
Hmmm... Maybe I'm using the wrong toothpaste? I use Colgate whitening because my dentist kept giving me the sample/travel sizes. It's the old type white stuff with abrasives you can feel. I'm satisfied with the results, but they aren't shiny shiny. I personally don't like super shiny stems. What do you use?

JJ_JJ_JJ_JJ

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2022
I have never seen any ill effect.
Its a chemical process its not like sanding or anything

Out of curiosity - if you have a stem that is heavily oxidized and you remove it via OxyClean or something similar, what effect does that have on the integrity of the stem itself? Does it become more brittle? Or is the effect not meaningful enough to

Reactions: Briar Lee

greysmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Out of curiosity - if you have a stem that is heavily oxidized and you remove it via OxyClean or something similar, what effect does that have on the integrity of the stem itself? Does it become more brittle? Or is the effect not meaningful enough to notice?
My vulcanite stems have no integrity. They lie through my teeth.

Zeno Marx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
I'm surprised there isn't some chemist amongst us that hasn't offered a simple chemical reaction to break the bonds of sulfur oxidation from the stem surface. While I realize sulfur is part of the rubber compound, there must be a molecular bond that can be broken to make it less basic than sand and rub, sand and rub. Anyone? Anyone??

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
In my opinion if a pipe is truly worth preserving at such a level that your trying to maintian the logo on the stem it will have an inlaid logo that cannot be sanded away. Otherwise we're only talking about silkscreened, printed, and otherwise applied logs. These types are not generally associated with high grade/highly collectable pipes. So I've never really had much of an issue with removing a logo from a pipe in favor of making it presentable and smokable. The only stem logo I can think of that I've ever been worried about was a Charatan, and it turns out that Charatan stems are garbage. I wasted a lot time trying to preserve it only to put a new stem on it anyway.
Hi guys look at that falcon logo: it’s really nice. I don’t mind initials of any brand or carver, this specific one is just nice,

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
I'm surprised there isn't some chemist amongst us that hasn't offered a simple chemical reaction to break the bonds of sulfur oxidation from the stem surface. While I realize sulfur is part of the rubber compound, there must be a molecular bond that can be broken to make it less basic than sand and rub, sand and rub. Anyone? Anyone??
Of course there’s is. I offered it several times but only a few seem to appreciate it. It works, I’ve tried it several times.

Go here:

Just scroll a little bit downwards

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Of course there’s is. I offered it several times but only a few seem to appreciate it. It works, I’ve tried it several times.

The catch being that getting "back to black" is only the first step and further sanding and polishing is necessary.

And if you're going to do it anyway, why not skip the setup and hassle and go straight to sanding and polishing?

I imagine that's why the method didn't cause much excitement.

Zeno Marx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022

Go here:

Just scroll a little bit downwards
Very cool. Thanks. I might just try that...if I can find some of that acid for cheap.

Zeno Marx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
The catch being that getting "back to black" is only the first step and further sanding and polishing is necessary.

And if you're going to do it anyway, why not skip the setup and hassle and go straight to sanding and polishing?

I imagine that's why the method didn't cause much excitement.
I'm wondering if you can change the order of the process a bit. For instance, buff it relatively shiny, but not get crazy and try to get every semblance of green off. Then hit it with the acid steam to remove the green. Something like that anyway. If you could do that, it would be very handy for stems that have all kinds of additional faces, like a Charatan double cut.