PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I have about 40 fish..........in the freezer. If I had a fish tank my murderous cat would find his way in there in 13 seconds. But he keeps the house free of vols and shrews though with his daily outdoor murder rounds. I love that violent little bastard, but I'd touch a SeaTac toilet seat before I would touch his mouth.

Last edited:

ricebiscuit

Lurker
Aug 28, 2018
Fort Worth, Texas
I used to have a saltwater fish tank during college and for a few years after. Clowns, Anthias, Damsels for fish and lots of different corals. Always seemed to be more interested in the corals for some reason. Would love to get back into it, but jeez its expensive.

Reactions: bradical

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I love fish tanks, I've usually had one or 2 going since I was 12 or so. I dont have one going right now since my last betta died. I've had tanks ranging from 5 to 30 gallons. I do have a 55 gallon in storage that was gifted to me but I'm waiting to set it up after me and my girlfriend move within the next year or so. I am by no means a guru but if you have any questions I may be able to help. Here is a pic of a fully planted 5 gallon betta tank I had running for a the life of two diffrent bettas.

View attachment 3811
That's beautiful! All live plants?

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
That's beautiful! All live plants?
Yes, all those plants where real, the dwarf hair grass up front never carpeted tho like you see in those real pro tanks. I couldn't get the light up high enough without fighting algae blooms and I didn't want to run a co2 diffuser on a 5 gallon. I was just using a desk lamp with sprail CFL lights and dosing liquid ferts and co2.

Reactions: SpookedPiper

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Here's something to consider: When I was a school kid, I kept various little creatures like parakeets, goldfish, turtles, moores (black goldfish with bulbous eyes), neon tetra, guppies, hamsters and so forth. With mixed success. But the fish often did pretty well. Later in life, when my late wife and I kept a few fish, these would often expire within days. There were various pat explanations, but it seemed apparent to me that degraded water quality was a lot of it. Whereas in the 1950's, I was fine to fill at fish bowl from the tap and plop the fish in it, 25 years later there were various treatment chemicals and filters to make the tanks livable. The fish amounted to the canary in the coal mine. Don't drink the water, don't breathe the air. alaska', I love your cat. Cats have domesticated us pretty well so we attract live game for them to eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.