PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I've only been affected by nicotine one time and it wasn't relaxing at all. I smoked two back to back bowls of C&D Big & Burley and got super sick and this was right after supper (no it wasn't because of what I ate or the portions, which were light). I'm usually not sensitive to nicotine, but that night it sure floored me. Talk about hugging the toilet, I think my handprints are still around the bowl. Since that time, no back to back bowls of a high nic blend for me.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Well I'm glad you are having pleasant smokes, but your definition of "nic hit" is completely different than mine. For me a "nic hit" is that unpleasant feeling like I'm turning green, and about to hurl. Followed by me curling up in the fetal position. LOL I sometimes get a "nic hit" if I have a really strong cigar that I smoke to fast. I've found that a good way to combat a "nic hit" is to eat gummy bears.

For example when I'm at my Cigar Herf with my friends and we smoke 3-5 cigars during the day; we all eat gummy bears. The sugars help reduce the nicotine levels keeping the "nic hit" away.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I can nap any time any place. HH Rustica is the only tobacco I actually got a nicotine buzz from. Weird, but I have to now be sure I have eaten before smoking that stuff.

Reactions: Briar Tuck

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Am I thinking of something different?
Yes. You're describing a bit of an OD. You probably won't really notice a "nicotine hit". If you do you'll ascribe to the smoking experience. It's restful or some such. More than a few members deny any effects from nicotine even as it happens. Nicotine is really the only objective to smoking, denied or not. Any change to your mood, anxiety, mental anxiety and such is most likely attributable to the drug.

For me a "nic hit" is that unpleasant feeling like I'm turning green, and about to hurl.
When that happens I know I've OD'd and need a bit of something to counter, sugar often helps. Or, simply some food in the stomach. I also, can't get shivers. Been a while since I've experienced such. I've learned to keep a bit in my stomach when I'm smoking a serious nicotine blend and maybe smoking faster than normal.

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
You know...a major aspect of all schools of meditation is one or another form of breath control. Breath counting is the most common way to start meditating, but no matter how you accomplish it, when you focus on your breathing and slow down its cadence, you tend to enter some sort of relaxing meditative state. The pipe may only be a facilitator.

bearwolf56

Might Stick Around
Mar 16, 2013
Burlington, North Carolina
It may be because you are unintentionally inhaling more smoke. I find with the breath method this is easy to do. But I do it anyway.
There is a possibility, but I have a feeling unless it was a very minute amount I'd know it because I'd have a reaction such as coughing and gaging. Also, I would think it would be more frequent using the same method. Not denying it's not happening, just don't' think it is.

Reactions: Briar Tuck

Auxsender

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
Im glad some folks like a strong nic hit. It is very much NOT for me. I hate it in fact. Makes me dizzy and sweaty and panicky and I just want it to stop. It’s almost like being too drunk which I also avoid at any cost. The second I start to feel the nic, I step away from the pipe.

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
I don't get much of a nic hit at all smoking a pipe, except that it sometimes makes me really hungry. I've heard of other types of smoking having that effect, but it's not usually associated with tobacco. I guess I'm weird. I've gotten a little green around the gills smoking a big cigar too fast before, but never while smoking a pipe, even with "strong" blends.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
You know...a major aspect of all schools of meditation is one or another form of breath control. Breath counting is the most common way to start meditating, but no matter how you accomplish it, when you focus on your breathing and slow down its cadence, you tend to enter some sort of relaxing meditative state. The pipe may only be a facilitator.

Now I don’t need to type it.

More than likely the first/only time someone has truly paid attention to purposeful/mindful breathing.

For science, grab a pipe and don’t even load/light it. Go through the motions without any tobacco. I bet it’s relaxing.

Reactions: Dr Drago