PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bearwolf56

Might Stick Around
Mar 16, 2013
Burlington, North Carolina
I smoked cigarettes for years and a pipe for over 10 and not until recently have I had the experience of at big, extremely pleasant nicotine hit. For the past few weeks, I've started using the clench/breath method of smoking my pipe. Light it, clench it, forget it. I'm still working on the "forget it" part. Anyway, a couple of weeks ago, I was sitting enjoying my second bowl of Carter Hall and then BAM! I suddenly felt very relaxed. I mean VERY relaxed as if I had taken a sedative almost. It was a very pleasant experience. It lasted for a few minutes then all settled down and I was back to "normal". Since then, I've experienced this a few more times with other tobaccos and each time it's been very pleasant. I know it's due to using the breath method seeing I haven't had this happen before. After all this time I now know what pipe smoking all is about.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't think I smoke for nicotine because when I lay off smoking for a week it doesn't cause cravings or mood changes, and I am able to tolerate some strong blends without much effect. However, the first time I popped open a tin of Nightcap, I got an effect. My wife was in a rehab facility after hip surgery doing physical and occupational therapy and such, so I got home well after dark. I took a big bowl pipe to the front porch and packed it up with Nightcap and settled back, but smoked fairly fast, wanting to get to bed. Sure enough, I became light headed and groggy, so it was a nightcap sure enough. I just puttered off to bed, and as soon as I lay down, all was well, off to dreamland, unlike too much alcohol which wakes me up at about 3 a.m.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Nicotine is hardly a depressant, and a big nic hit causes the same for me as TheIronMonkey described, plus hiccups like I swallowed chew…

Overwhelming relaxation is just that…perhaps intertwined with a great smoke.

Reactions: Briar Tuck
Nicotine is hardly a depressant, and a big nic hit causes the same for me as TheIronMonkey described, plus hiccups like I swallowed chew…

Overwhelming relaxation is just that…perhaps intertwined with a great smoke.
Nicotine works to release stored sugars into your blood stream. It has both the effects of a stimulant or a depressant, but usually the stimulant effects are when smoked and inhaled as in cigarettes. In pipes it can make you drowsy if only absorbed through the small blood vessels of your mouth and throat, which is a slower but larger dose than inhaling it.

bearwolf56

Might Stick Around
Mar 16, 2013
Burlington, North Carolina
You sure you are not just falling asleep? I doze off all the time on my front porch with pipe clenched. I didn't know it had a special name for it.
I'm sure I'm not just falling asleep because one minute I'm at the computer and then this almost euphoric feeling of relaxation comes over me. A nice warm feeling like I use to get when I drank.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I'm sure I'm not just falling asleep because one minute I'm at the computer and then this almost euphoric feeling of relaxation comes over me. A nice warm feeling like I use to get when I drank.
Cool. Must be something else. I haven't gotten there. Typically, I used to get massive nic hit in the morning with cigarettes. Kinda like I'm going to throw up and pass out at the same time. But no longer. So far, I haven't had euphoria from nic yet. Just very comfortable and relaxed. But, not to a point where you're just getting drunk and feeling very expensive.

Old_Newby

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2022
Texas
I have not had that experience yet but I can nap anywhere. I think I am so excited about my 1-2 smokes a day and focusing on cadence and taste it will be a long time for me to ever nearly fall asleep while piping. That said I did get a nic buzz and felt nauseated and dizzy once when I ignorantly smoked 2 bowls of dark fired Kentucky back to back. The supporters on here helped me through it. Eat chocolate and some soft drink in case anyone experiences it.