PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
This morning I’m sitting here listening to the rooster crow and ruminating about how the huge piece of ancient briar in my Ben Wade (Preben Holm) Matt Special might only have been a seedling when the guns rattled at the Battle of Humansville on March 26, 1862.

My ancestors were there, part of the 8th Missouri Volunteer State Militia (Union), Captain John Cosgrove commanding.

It’s said a brave trooper played The Campbells Are Coming as the Confederates advanced on his fife, and if that’s not true, it should have been, and that’s how they told the story.

We think we have our problems today, but they are nothing compared with three or four hundred rebels advancing though the brush at you.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
This morning I’m sitting here listening to the rooster crow and ruminating about how the huge piece of ancient briar in my Ben Wade (Preben Holm) Matt Special might only have been a seedling when the guns rattled at the Battle of Humansville on March 26, 1862.

My ancestors were there, part of the 8th Missouri Volunteer State Militia (Union), Captain John Cosgrove commanding.

It’s said a brave trooper played The Campbells Are Coming as the Confederates advanced on his fife, and if that’s not true, it should have been, and that’s how they told the story.

We think we have our problems today, but they are nothing compared with three or four hundred rebels advancing though the brush at you.
Yeah, I’ve heard the most frightening sound a Yank heard was that Rebel yell. Funny, how it’s sound is lost to time. Also, the South was winning the war handily (McClelland ?‍♂️) until Abe got smart and employed Grant as his Cooler. What lost the war…more. Yanks just had more of everything. Great tale btw. ☕

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I have my routine. I awaken sometime for the last time ("I give up!") anywhere from 1:30 a.m to 5:00 a.m. and within 15 min. I'm out on the roadway walking approximately one mile while I puff away.
I stroll, I don't stride.
I pause here and there, carry a flashlight, and wear a reflective something or other so that any potential traffic will have a better chance to see me.
By sunup, I've often completed this route 3x's, and continue during the day with variations on where, or how far. I might just stand around under the oak tree and chew the fat with whomever walks by, if they're so inclined. No other pipers in my neighborhood. I extoll the pipe's virtues to anyone who appears interested.
Today my bunions or carbunckels hurt like hell the first trip out.