PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawyer66

Can't Leave
Nov 21, 2020
Grand Cayman
Well hello again,

Today was a great day, started off by picking up my tobacco order. I got some Lane 1-Q, Sutliff Creme Brulee, SWR Aromatic, Boswell's Bear Bear Blend, Boswell's Chocolate Cream, and Dan Tobacco Sweet Vanilla Honeydew.

First off, I cant believe I managed to find SVH as it seems to be out of stock at most major American online tobacconists. So I was glad to snag a tin from StoryTellers Pipe when it was available. Onto the tobacco...

Dan Tobacco SVH:

The tobacco itself was bowl-ready as it relates to moisture. In the usual tin presentation, it was fairly compressed. Light and dark browns coalesce in a beautiful ready rub. As for any aging of the tin, I don't really know how to read the date tag, or if what I see really is a date tag, for that matter.

Tin note on this is amazing. As I smell it again for accuracy in the review, I am getting a strong general sweetness. I am also getting a melon and light banana baked goods (without the spices). I don't really pick up pronounced vanilla. Still, this one has a delicious tin note. The Virginias were definitely less obvious than the casing on this blend. I believe the flavors combine well with the chosen leaf, thus leading to the olfactory obscurity :LOL:.

It packed fairly well, although I will admit the pipe may have been a tad overfilled. Still, after a few lights, I was off to the races. It was a delightful smoke that carried a subtle sweetness with every sip. I was unable to really identify flavors but did get an intense creamy note on the retro-hale. The bowl lasted around an hour as I was slow sipping. I learned from trying Virginia dominant blends to take time and sip so as to keep the smoke cool. All-in-all, I didn't get any tongue bite nor did my bowl get too hot. I will be slowly enjoying this tin until I can source another.

Boswell's Chocolate Cream:

First off, I noticed the different style of tin offered by Boswell's, which is pretty cool. I think I remember RedCoat's Return from the YTPC stating that the seal is supposed to last some 3 years. Not sure if that is true, but that would be nice if it did. Unlike other tinned tobaccos, this one wasn't as compressed. Light brown and black are visible as ribbon-cut Cavendish and Black Cavendish. Moisture-wise this was bowl ready as well, it didn't seem goopy, as I know some of Boswell's blends are said to be.

The tin note on this was like smelling Hershey's Cocoa Powder and tobacco. Absolutely delectable, I knew that I would be dealing with a prominent chocolate flavor, and that is the reason I bought it.

It packed very well and took to lighting fairly easily. The chocolate flavor lasted throughout the smoke, up until the bottom where it became more nuanced. I know that cavendish can be made from Burley or Virginia. But the subtle earthy undertones I got led me to believe that burley is present in one, or both Cavendishes. It was a wonderful smoke of chocolate and subtle cream with an earthy background. There was no real sweetness to this which was good. I wanted a chocolate-flavored blend, not a chocolate milkshake?. I cannot wait to smoke more and will definitely be buying more at some point.

I hope you all enjoyed my write-ups and look forward to your input.

eslavs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 19, 2019
Sarasota, Florida
I have not ventured into the world of Boswell's aromatics yet, but it's on the lengthy list of things to do. Your take on Chocolate Cream now adds that one to the list. I'm curious to know your thoughts on Bear Blend as well.

Reactions: Lawyer66

Lawyer66

Can't Leave
Nov 21, 2020
Grand Cayman
I have not ventured into the world of Boswell's aromatics yet, but it's on the lengthy list of things to do. Your take on Chocolate Cream now adds that one to the list. I'm curious to know your thoughts on Bear Blend as well.

I first found out about Boswell's tobacco and pipes from PipeFriendCHS over 10 years ago. Always wanted to try their aro's and this first blend was truly enjoyable. My next stop is to buy one of their pipes:col:

Reactions: dcon

Cotton1

Can't Leave
Nov 3, 2020
South Carolina
Well hello again,

Today was a great day, started off by picking up my tobacco order. I got some Lane 1-Q, Sutliff Creme Brulee, SWR Aromatic, Boswell's Bear Bear Blend, Boswell's Chocolate Cream, and Dan Tobacco Sweet Vanilla Honeydew.

First off, I cant believe I managed to find SVH as it seems to be out of stock at most major American online tobacconists. So I was glad to snag a tin from StoryTellers Pipe when it was available. Onto the tobacco...

Dan Tobacco SVH:

The tobacco itself was bowl-ready as it relates to moisture. In the usual tin presentation, it was fairly compressed. Light and dark browns coalesce in a beautiful ready rub. As for any aging of the tin, I don't really know how to read the date tag, or if what I see really is a date tag, for that matter.

Tin note on this is amazing. As I smell it again for accuracy in the review, I am getting a strong general sweetness. I am also getting a melon and light banana baked goods (without the spices). I don't really pick up pronounced vanilla. Still, this one has a delicious tin note. The Virginias were definitely less obvious than the casing on this blend. I believe the flavors combine well with the chosen leaf, thus leading to the olfactory obscurity :LOL:.

It packed fairly well, although I will admit the pipe may have been a tad overfilled. Still, after a few lights, I was off to the races. It was a delightful smoke that carried a subtle sweetness with every sip. I was unable to really identify flavors but did get an intense creamy note on the retro-hale. The bowl lasted around an hour as I was slow sipping. I learned from trying Virginia dominant blends to take time and sip so as to keep the smoke cool. All-in-all, I didn't get any tongue bite nor did my bowl get too hot. I will be slowly enjoying this tin until I can source another.

Boswell's Chocolate Cream:

First off, I noticed the different style of tin offered by Boswell's, which is pretty cool. I think I remember RedCoat's Return from the YTPC stating that the seal is supposed to last some 3 years. Not sure if that is true, but that would be nice if it did. Unlike other tinned tobaccos, this one wasn't as compressed. Light brown and black are visible as ribbon-cut Cavendish and Black Cavendish. Moisture-wise this was bowl ready as well, it didn't seem goopy, as I know some of Boswell's blends are said to be.

The tin note on this was like smelling Hershey's Cocoa Powder and tobacco. Absolutely delectable, I knew that I would be dealing with a prominent chocolate flavor, and that is the reason I bought it.

It packed very well and took to lighting fairly easily. The chocolate flavor lasted throughout the smoke, up until the bottom where it became more nuanced. I know that cavendish can be made from Burley or Virginia. But the subtle earthy undertones I got led me to believe that burley is present in one, or both Cavendishes. It was a wonderful smoke of chocolate and subtle cream with an earthy background. There was no real sweetness to this which was good. I wanted a chocolate-flavored blend, not a chocolate milkshake?. I cannot wait to smoke more and will definitely be buying more at some point.

I hope you all enjoyed my write-ups and look forward to your input.

Congrats on the haul! I enjoy a lot of Boswell's blends including Chocolate Cream and Bear Blend. Creme Brulee is just okay to me because it's all topping and mine is super goopy.
1Q gets too much credit in a lot of ways but it is good aero tobacco and one I need to revisit. At some point I think I came to the opinion that Ol Toby was along the same lines and superior to 1Q. I do get a slight strange after taste with the CS blends I have tried so far and that is not the case with 1Q.

Bear Blend is one that I have recently discovered. It's very, very good to me. I get a rich smoke with the perfect hint of cherry. It's moving up my list pretty quick. I hope you enjoy it.

I don't have any experience with the others and will look forward to how you like the Bear Blend and your thoughts especially on the Dan's Blend.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
It was a delightful smoke that carried a subtle sweetness with every sip.
That's a good was to describe SVH. I love the stuff.

I did a little post on it awhile back:

When they come back in stock, you might want to give GH&C Bob's Chocolate Flake and GH&C Scotch Flake a try if you like chocolate. They're two of my favorite blends and have a nice chocolate component to them.

• Love
Reactions: Lawyer66

Lawyer66

Can't Leave
Nov 21, 2020
Grand Cayman
That's a good was to describe SVH. I love the stuff.

I did a little post on it awhile back:

When they come back in stock, you might want to give GH&C Bob's Chocolate Flake and GH&C Scotch Flake a try if you like chocolate. They're two of my favorite blends and have a nice chocolate component to them.

I just placed an order with TheStoryTellers Pipe yesterday for 250g of Samuel Gawith Mayors Chocolate Flake. Not sure if there is any relation? I will keep an eye out for these flakes though.

Status
Not open for further replies.