PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Just my thoughts on 3 blends I happen to really enjoy that are subtly similar yet subtly different.

Dan Tobacco Sweet Vanilla Honeydew:

The more I smoke this the more I enjoy it. It's like it just keeps getting better. Of the 3 I find this one top be the sweetest which might be why I'm liking it so much. After initial light up there is great honey sweetness flavor but under that is the Virginia which, to me is hay. Hay like the smell/taste I would have when moving dried hay around when I was younger. The sweetness seems to back off just a hair after a while but is noticeable throughout the bowl. A little way in, and after the slight reduction in sweetness, there is very light but noticeable citrus which is lemon to me. The tobacco itself comes across quite simply as quality. I ordered an oz just to try. This turned out to be a gateway oz as I now have a couple pounds on the way.

Capstan Gold Flake:

This seems to be the riches, fullest, and most complex of the 3. In fact, due to the complexity, I really need to spend more quality time with it. It's a high quality blend with great typical Virginia characteristics and a deftly applied honey sweetness. The typical being hay, maybe some dried wood (like that smell that gets in your nose when cutting well dried wood), a touch of bread, and something darker like earth or a dustiness. The honey sweetness is just the right amount to make this a very interesting blend for me.

Sutliff Sweet Virginia #707:

I did a little write-up on this on already here: Sutliff Sweet VA Amateur Review
This one, to me, tends to have the most tanginess and the sweetness is more towards sugar than honey or anything else. I find it to be an excellent value and it seems to always be readily available. This one is just that old friend you're always comfortable with and enjoy spending time with. A great anytime smoke for me.

If you like Virginia and you like sweet you can't go wrong with any of these, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.