PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Nice work Captn.?☕
Thanks! It's my first actual repair and I didn't have to resort to epoxy as I originally intended. I bought the ferrule a tiny bit smaller than the shank and heated it before pressing it on. As it cooled, it seems to be holding everything together nicely. I took the tenon down too far, but swelled it back up with heat so now it's fitting well without being too tight. This experience may open a new door for restorations for me.?

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
Thanks! It's my first actual repair and I didn't have to resort to epoxy as I originally intended. I bought the ferrule a tiny bit smaller than the shank and heated it before pressing it on. As it cooled, it seems to be holding everything together nicely. I took the tenon down too far, but swelled it back up with heat so now it's fitting well without being too tight. This experience may open a new door for restorations for me.?
It’d make sense. ?☕

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
This experience may open a new door for restorations for me.?
Restorations are fun and rewarding. I haven't done much in the way of restorations in the last 2 years or so. People aren't doing many estate sales these days, and the price of prospect pipes on eBay is just ridiculous. I did get box of old pipes from an old friend of mine last fall, though. "You're into pipes; you want this old box of junk?" Some halfway decent pieces... mostly low end from the 30' and 40's.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Restorations are fun and rewarding. I haven't done much in the way of restorations in the last 2 years or so. People aren't doing many estate sales these days, and the price of prospect pipes on eBay is just ridiculous. I did get box of old pipes from an old friend of mine last fall, though. "You're into pipes; you want this old box of junk?" Some halfway decent pieces... mostly low end from the 30' and 40's.
For years I've just done clean ups but actually fixing a broken one was more fun than I thought it would be. May have to invest in some simple hardware to start doing more.?

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Once I had the shape where I wanted it, I went from 1000 to 2500 grit sandpaper, hand buffed with Barkeeper's Friend, and polished it up with toothpaste.
Choice. I’m about to do a stem for a Pete using something form Vermont freehand. I was thinking along same lines, except going 80, 800-1200 then micro mesh as that’s what o have on hand

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Once I had the shape where I wanted it, I went from 1000 to 2500 grit sandpaper, hand buffed with Barkeeper's Friend, and polished it up with toothpaste.

Man I sure hope it was Aquafresh. You remember that kind with the three different colors in the hard plastic tube that went everywhere?

That’d make it even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.