PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Here is the finished product. I forgot to take a few pics of the button and slot. Will do later but my border collie is whining to go for a run. My next cutty will have the spur moved to it's proper location. The stem is hand turned 11.75mm Japanese ebonite. I got impatient waiting for my supplies with the proper sized rings and other assortments so this ring is just a tad large. But it looks fine albeit a bit wide on the shank end., The slot is a mess,I'm embarrassed to show it but in all honesty, I have to. I am improving. Again, it looks a lot worse in the picture than it does in real life.
8fMiwrY.jpg

h7bQCm5.jpg

eurGDIh.jpg

This mortise and tenon look worse in the picture than actual fact.
BD7RjeS.jpg

86JhqK4.jpg

GrGZgnl.jpg

kG7ujPR.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thank you. As I think I said earlier, nice work, great finish.

I am sure a lot of folks (present company excepted!) won't know or care whether or not the spur is in the traditional spot.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Mar 1, 2014
Interesting, I hadn't considered the effect of the Cutty putting the draft hole more centered in the bowl.
I wonder if that isn't partly why they were so popular for the first few hundred years of Pipesmoking history.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
hey pepesdad1, that button makes me want to tear my hair out if I had any left to tear out.
Probably redo the stem. Or sell it at a much reduced cost or try to straighten it out but I'm running out of material. Two things I'm still struggling with, the button/slot and a seamless join at the stem/shank junction.

?

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Thanks folks! greeneyes that is amazing! Do you have any schematics/drawings of your rig?
jp, The slot needs to be thinner and straighter to me. I have a number of purchases from an artisan who makes various tools but I've just been using my VFH slot files.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Thanks folks! greeneyes that is amazing! Do you have any schematics/drawings of your rig?
jp, The slot needs to be thinner and straighter to me. I have a number of purchases from an artisan who makes various tools but I've just been using my VFH slot files.
This isn't my rig. These videos appear on my Instagram feed due to my interest in pipes, but I don't do anything more involved than cleaning and restoring them. I was toying with the idea of casting amber resin replacement stems for some of my pipes but I have such limited time on my hands that it's an impossible undertaking at the moment.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
It looks fine to me from those photos. Can you tell us what could be bettered?
While this is a beautiful pipe, I agree with @pepesdad1, see last image posted. The button/slot work can be honed in, it’s one of the hardest parts of pipe making. Still, it’s an amazing execution. Very good job, much better than I ever did.

I’m very disappointed with the button on my Gamboni pipe but he still gets away with charging high prices. Don’t get me wrong, I still like the pipe, it’s a comfortable fit but the button/slot is a sloppy job for someone selling high end pipes.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Hey folks, here is the finished Cutty with a new stem. I think the button and the slot are much improved. I would have been finished sooner; but the second stem attempt was almost finished when I discovered I had sanded through the airway. ARgggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
So here is stem, take three. I hope you enjoy the pics. There is a tiny mar on the upper left side of the bowl; just a scuff. It happened while I was in the buffing process and it jumped out of my hands onto the shop floor. I will remove scuff mark before any person purchases it.
On to Cutty No. 2
Chris
QaqTzQL.jpg

bj6mscs.jpg

6MQv9kz.jpg

4mGCSVr.jpg

I have an Iphone 10 and I just can't seem to get those nice, clean, marco shots. Think I'll try my Samsung Galaxy for photos; it has a macro mode.
1huacmw.jpg

xmlRkiD.jpg