PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I still don’t understand that forward cant. I can’t cant.

Cutty pipes are also not my cup of tea. I find the lines too soft. I like a billiard with a nice heel to it. A strong angle, measured by a protractor, drawn with a carpenter’s pencil that goes back behind the ear.

And chubby any shape. Not for me. Breaks the golden mean: not too lithe, not too fat.

But the finish on your new pipe is excellently done. Very attractive.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Nice pipe! I do like the appearance of many pipes with a forward cant, but don't really have much experience with them.

In terms of shapes that I'm wary of, the full-bents and hungarians freak me out a bit. I know lots of folks love 'em and I should try one someday but they just seem too bent for me. Admittedly, I prefer straight pipes, though.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and rushx9

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
Well, you made me curious -- what, exactly, are your "issues" with canted pipes?

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
I like them.

18546761-orig.jpg

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Canted pipes are my favorite! Cutty, Belgique, Zulus, Horns, Dublins, some Rhodesians, and canted Billiards, all are great, especially with 1/8th Princely bent stems. I find they do a great job of keeping the smoke out of my eyes. I love my full bent pipes for clenching comfort, but they place the smoke squarely in my face. The Devil Anse is a cool shape and I notice that nearly every maker produces one now, but I think many of the ones I see are what would have been labeled a Belge or canted Billiard a few years ago, before the airing of the Hatfields & McCoys series.

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I do like the looks of your pipe but am not sure how I would enjoy using a similar pipe. I own bent and straight pipes with a variety of bowl sizes and shapes but tend to steer away from pipes that are short, straight or have a small bowl when it comes down to the ones that are most used. It may change with time but it is where I am at right now.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Well, you made me curious -- what, exactly, are your "issues" with canted pipes?

For me it’s the uncanny valley. I like 90° angles. If something looks like it should be 90° but is noticeably off by a couple degrees, it piques my OCPD. I want to bend it into place with my fingers.

Also, when lighting, I like to have at least some view of the rim of the bowl to help me avoid scorching it. Canting away from the eyes frustrates that, ever so slightly. It makes me wonder what was so darned important about making the pipe look off angle and harder to light.

Thats two strikes against, and none in favour.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I still don’t understand that forward cant. I can’t cant.

Cutty pipes are also not my cup of tea. I find the lines too soft. I like a billiard with a nice heel to it. A strong angle, measured by a protractor, drawn with a carpenter’s pencil that goes back behind the ear.

And chubby any shape. Not for me. Breaks the golden mean: not too lithe, not too fat.

But the finish on your new pipe is excellently done. Very attractive.
For me it’s the uncanny valley. I like 90° angles. If something looks like it should be 90° but is noticeably off by a couple degrees, it piques my OCPD. I want to bend it into place with my fingers.

Also, when lighting, I like to have at least some view of the rim of the bowl to help me avoid scorching it. Canting away from the eyes frustrates that, ever so slightly. It makes me wonder what was so darned important about making the pipe look off angle and harder to light.

Thats two strikes against, and none in favour.
You've taken the words out of my mouth!

The canted pipe is the shape I abhor the most, not counting the freehands.

jzbdano

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2016
I think a slight forward cant on a straight billiard can lend a bit of elegance. Italians execute it well. I'd be worried about ashes falling out of a cutty or anse when jaw hanging which is the reason I haven't bought one. I do like the shape though, old school classic for sure.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
I have been weary on how far forward as heat goes up and can eventually damage briar. But I do love me a zulu shape... lol I might have 5 or so. Peterson does a good job with them
I can't say I'm a mega-fan of cutty or devil anse types, but Dublins & Zulus I really do like. (9 of them; I think that qualifies, no? -laugh-) To me they're just stylish without getting crazy about it. Kind of a smoking-jacket tweed class sort of thing.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and rushx9
Status
Not open for further replies.