PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a canted bowl or two, depending on how you see them. I have the notion that an extreme angle to a bowl will make it burn unevenly since heat rises, and rises more or less directly upward. Like many theories, that may well be bunk. An extreme canted pipe just doesn't look right to me. However, short pipes don't bother me. Especially pocket pipes, that you tote around in pockets and vehicles. I like a somewhat short pipe with a thick shank and stem, to avoid breakage. Long thin shanks and stems are going to break in a pants or low pocket on a coat. Smoke from short pipes doesn't get in my face; sip, just sip.

Reactions: condorlover1

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Everything I have is a 'cutty' since the cant keeps the smoke out of your eyes. Its traditional and after all they are all modeled on clay pipes which is what attracted me to them in the first place since that is what I started smoking when I was young. Smoking a clay pipe gave me pipe notches on the my teeth so discovering a meerschaum and amber version was my 'Julie Andrews' moment. I have seen some beautifully executed briar examples over the years but I just cannot get on with briar for some odd reason. I agree with the comment about stem length which is why I stick to 5 1/2 to 6" pipes. Nose warmers are OK but tend to have bigger bowls and since I turn the pipe upside down for relights they tend to be a tad unwieldy for me.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and rushx9

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Nice pipe! Just ordered a Chris Paulson Devil Anse myself. Not a big fan of nosewarmers outside of that.

Absolutely despise bulldogs and most rhodesians. Not big on Oom Pauls either. Generally prefer straight or max quarter bend pipes.

Also never really liked the look of radiators or falcons.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Once the pipe is lit and tamped for the first time, it's unlikely tobacco will fall out. At least that's my experience.

And, damn, every time I see the thread title, my mind substitutes a letter in the last word. Bad, bad!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Bullet08, with the small pipes, try flake/coin/plug/rope cuts. I packed a Group 1 (smallest group) pipe with flake, at an event during intermission, and I had to put it out it took so long. It was a whole new day with small bowl pipes.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
Once the pipe is lit and tamped for the first time, it's unlikely tobacco will fall out. At least that's my experience.

And, damn, every time I see the thread title, my mind substitutes a letter in the last word. Bad, bad!
Made piece with the other long ago!

• Haha
Reactions: rushx9

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Most billiards are canted.* And most are like a big stick of buttah!

Discuss amongst yourselves!

Just a few degrees. Hardly noticeable.

Reactions: rushx9
Jan 8, 2013
I have a few canted bowls. Most extreme being the Moonshine Deviled Egg pipes (A beefier version of a Devil Anse) which always takes a bit of getting used to when lighting. I'm extremely careful, so I've yet to char the rim, and I only use matches with them, unless outside when I use the Pipe Zippo. Once I get past the lighting blind issue, I love them though, because they're great smokers. They look cool too. And that's important.... right?

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
Freehands and nose warmers. Except I have an early 20th century Peterson that is super short, but I find it most appealing. Maybe because it is 120+ years old and still a worker.

Status
Not open for further replies.