PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Yeah with that big 10 pound Meerschaum of yours is just smoking?
Sure is. I'm trying to find the deepest chambers possible to avoid having to refill a pipe throughout the day. I want one of those Boswell magnums but they only make those very rarely and they won't quote a price for me. I threw out around 140 pipes back in 2019 that fell out of favor for small chamber size and mostly only smoke pipes with 2+ inch deep chambers. I got lucky with that Keenan and won the auction for $200 and fits nicely with my growing momento mori collection.

20200616_235501.png
20190409_063051.png

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Just to be in it for smoking, it does help to have a slight understanding of some things, different blends, filter vs non-filter, bite, ghosts, tabac moisture, pipe cleaning/drying etc...

Tabac cuts; flake, ribbon, rope, shag, cube, etc., rhetorically speaking, depending on moisture/dryness, etc., how you to pack and deal with them.

I didn’t mean to make this sound like just the History and Goodies, but just to enjoy smoking too, plus an understanding of how to deal with some of these nuances is all.

Experimentation is all that’s needed for these things, but it does end up becoming a learning process along the way. :)
I do think it helps to have an understanding why we like what we like - in terms of the variables affecting what we taste eg the pipe - it's construction(materials, shape, airway/drilling), aesthetics; the tobaccos - blends, toppings/flavours, too moist/too dry, etc, as well as the surroundings/circumstance we are in we are smoking - and how all this impacts on our smoking experience.

30 years ago I got into wine and spent an inordinate amount of time attending wine tastings, wine dinners, visiting vineyards and bothering winemakers, built up a library of wine books and magazines - all have contributed to my enjoyment of wine today.

Only difference is these days I no longer spend half an hour sniffing, slurping and pontificating on the aroma, palate and complexity any more. A quick sniff, a swirl around the mouth, then I settle back to ENJOY the wine, rather than worrying about it's infinite nuances.

These days in that I readily admit I don't necessarily know anything about what I am drinking, but I know an enjoyable wine when I taste it. And not knowing about the wine in no way lessens the enjoyment.

Sorry, a very long-winded way of saying when you'll recognise a great smoke when you've had one.

ukparagolfer

Lurker
May 1, 2018
UK
Update on progress

So been playing around with this st.bruno flake and definitely have noticed this is working.

Awesome flavour, no tongue bite, no sore mouth.

I found if I rub it out before packing it I get a better smoke. Gonna say this is the way for me.

Anyone got any recommendations for flake tobacco which is similar to St.bruno?

tjsgarden

Lurker
Feb 22, 2019
West Monroe, LA, USA
I smoked a bowl of St. Bruno last night. It is one of my go to blends. Orlik makes a Kentucky leaf blend called "Dark Strong Kentucky". Both tins are good and worthy of a trial.