PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ukparagolfer

Lurker
May 1, 2018
UK
So I have recently been struggling with my pipe smoking with things like tongue bite, sore mouth, ashy tasting pipes.

Today I think I've finally cracked it.

I got hold of some St.Bruno flake which I ripped open. Folded and just stuffed into the bowl any ol way. 1st light tamped it all back into the bowl went out straight away. 2nd light it stayed and flavour right through the bowl.

No tongue bite, no ashy flavor, no sore mouth.

Maybe I just need to smoke a flake? I dunno

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
So I have recently been struggling with my pipe smoking with things like tongue bite, sore mouth, ashy tasting pipes.

I got hold of some St.Bruno flake which I ripped open. Folded and just stuffed into the bowl any ol way. 1st light tamped it all back into the bowl went out straight away. 2nd light it stayed and flavour right through the bowl.

I suspect it is premature to claim victory. But it sounds like you made progress. Maybe.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
flakes do tend to burn cooler in my experience. Or more accurately it's harder to get a flake to burn hot. At some point it will be so second nature you'll wonder how you could have sucked so bad at not burning yourself. You know kind of like after a while you wonder how it was ever hard to ride a bike or drive a car. You know easy stuff that's tricky to learn. My advice maybe dry out the tobacco more and sip instead of puffing. That's what helped me. Helped me get to a point where I forget that tongues get bit.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I used to think people were holding back the secret on all things. Martial arts, playing instruments, cheap bar tricks and so on. Then I finally reached "competent" level in some of those things and realized something. It's not that people were holding back the secret. I was just dumb enough to think there were secrets. There isn't any magic trick that will give a short cut. You just have to keep at it and try different things until you find what works for you. Others can say bunch of things that works for them, but until you dial into what works for you, they are not gonna be the "secret" you were looking for.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I used to think people were holding back the secret on all things. Martial arts, playing instruments, cheap bar tricks and so on. Then I finally reached "competent" level in some of those things and realized something. It's not that people were holding back the secret. I was just dumb enough to think there were secrets. There isn't any magic trick that will give a short cut. You just have to keep at it and try different things until you find what works for you. Others can say bunch of things that works for them, but until you dial into what works for you, they are not gonna be the "secret" you were looking for.
there are however helpful hints which can jump start the process. That said if you keep trying and are just off the mark you may never get anywhere. Example was told for years not to smoke dry tobacco and wetter is better. IT wasn't until I accidentally dried out some tobacco that I enjoyed more that I started drying it out.

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale

Sounds to me like you need to not worry about all the details and just enjoy it...once you did that everything was fine. Too many people try to treat pipe smoking like wine tasting...glass must be so tall, must hold so much, the mouth on the glass needs to be so big, need to let it breath, need to swirl it around, etc. Me? I just open the wine and drink it...sounds like what you did was pack a bowl and smoke it...much more enjoyable than worrying about all the finery crap all the time.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Ah, still not my territory. I'm just in it for the smoking.

Just to be in it for smoking, it does help to have a slight understanding of some things, different blends, filter vs non-filter, bite, ghosts, tabac moisture, pipe cleaning/drying etc...

Tabac cuts; flake, ribbon, rope, shag, cube, etc., rhetorically speaking, depending on moisture/dryness, etc., how you to pack and deal with them.

I didn’t mean to make this sound like just the History and Goodies, but just to enjoy smoking too, plus an understanding of how to deal with some of these nuances is all.

Experimentation is all that’s needed for these things, but it does end up becoming a learning process along the way. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Just to be in it for smoking, it does help to have a slight understanding of some things, different blends, filter vs non-filter, bite, ghosts, tabac moisture, pipe cleaning/drying etc...

Tabac cuts; flake, ribbon, rope, shag, cube, etc., rhetorically speaking, depending on moisture/dryness, etc., how you to pack and deal with them.

I didn’t mean to make this sound like just the History and Goodies, but just to enjoy smoking too, plus an understanding of how to deal with some of these nuances is all.

Experimentation is all that’s needed for these things, but it does end up becoming a learning process along the way. :)
I just don't get into the philosophy of it. I just light up and go. Less of a hobbyist and just another way I enjoy tobacco.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I just don't get into the philosophy of it. I just light up and go. Less of a hobbyist and just another way I enjoy tobacco.

I’m not talking Philosophy, I’m just talking about an understanding of the basics is all, to simply enjoy smoking. :)

I threw in all the other aspects, for someone that might wish to dig deeper is all.

But digging deeper can help the enjoyment, especially if someone is having problems in any area of pipe smoking, especially if they have bad luck of getting pipes that aren’t good smokers. Then at least understanding the different Briar Regions, and buying/testing pipes from different regions, might bring about better success for some.

Sorry I didn’t clarify this very well before. ?