PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
tried half&half today. if i didn't know, i would have said it wasn't tobacco, not in bad way. it was sweet. more like sugar sweet than va sweet. very pleasant flavor throughout. it was pouch and didn't dry at all. made sure bottom of the chamber was wide open, and packed 1/8" below the rim. didn't use peterson. brought out morgan bones stubby poker incase the blend left ghost. have to say i was mildly surprised how good this aromatic was. very comfortable smoke in all.

Reactions: whsergent

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
Went a little nuts and bought a bunch of different sutliff codger match blends. Revalation, field and stream, walnut, holliday, briggs, brindley and a few others. So far omly have tries the field and stream and really like it. First aro ive tried that has been fairly subtle where the tobacco (in this case burley and some va) comes through. I liked it a lot.

brandaves

Can't Leave
Jan 5, 2020
Kentucky
I'm still very new to pipe smoking but some of the very best advice I got was to start out with the OTC codger burley blends. Sure, you can spend money hand over fist on premium tinned tobacco. The problem is that as a newbie you simply won't have the ability to really enjoy the flavors in what you are smoking until you learn how. I learned how to smoke slowly, keep my pipe and smoke cool, reduce tongue bite and generally enjoy smoking a pipe from codger blends. Now that I've moved on to smoking different types of tobacco blends I still keep a nice stock of burleys on hand and I probably always will. Couldn't recommend it more highly to new pipe smokers. Start with OTC Burley blends. They will teach you how to smoke and help you find the wonderful flavor profiles hiding in your tobacco. I have no doubt some will disagree with the advice, but I'm better off for having followed it.

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
and ordered half and half, sir walter raleigh, and carter hall. wanted to try them, but couldn't find them at local drug stores. gave in and ordered online. got pouches, wasn't sure if i'll like them or not.

I like CH alright. Not terribly interesting, but a solid blend.
H&H is too sweet for me and the pouch I got was basically a bag of crumbles (though still moist). So I despised the cut on it. I had the same problem with my pouch of SWR - moist, yet crumbly. It was like trying to smoke soggy Grape Nuts that tasted like wood ash. Maybe I need to give SWR another try sometime. I've heard good things.

Reactions: bullet08

gastro

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 3, 2020
Twin Cities, Minnesota
I've been codgering a bit myself. Enjoyed my first Carter Hall a few weeks ago, I can see how you can smoke it all day, pretty decent. Tried the Revalation match today and was pleasantly surprised, It was a great blend with just enough complexity.

gastro

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 3, 2020
Twin Cities, Minnesota
O, and Granger! Never actually seen that in a store. Do I live in a black hole or something?
our tobacco taxes are really high, so I check in head shops every now and then. sometimes they have it marked way down because it doesn't sell. a pouch of captain black is around $15 here, so when I saw Carter Hall with a $6 price tag I bought it.

Status
Not open for further replies.