Finally Gave In.

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Casual

Preferred Member
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I got Carter Hall and SWR. I’ve tried the Carter Hall. It practically smoked itself right out of the pouch, I swear it took half a match to light and burned down to nothing without my having to pay attention. A far cry from most of the tobaccos I’ve tried. I loved the nutty and cocoa flavours, presumably from the burley and topping, respectively. Really good with coffee.

Ultimately, I have gone on to get a bunch of other burlies that provide that nutty, cocoa flavour without the sometimes harsh chemical taste that I got with Carter Hall. Mac Baren makes a bunch of them.

If there weren’t a panoply of incredible choices, I could live with tubs of Carter Hall, a single pipe, and good coffee.

docrameous

May 6, 2019
Colorado
^^ +1 ^^

Just smoked a bowl of Carter Hall with a cup of coffee...

The more I smoke Carter Hall, the more I like it. A bit on the sweet side - I like Burley and Virginia together, pairs nicely with black coffee... it's light, easy to smoke and dare I say refreshing? I have some 'bolder' and heavier blends, but sometimes CH is really what I am in the mood for.

Probably this weekend I'll break out some hefty Scotch and a nice VaPer... but who knows?!? That's what's so nice about smoking. Follow the mood!

Drew72

Nov 13, 2019
Illinois
I am very new to pipes, and have a number of blends to try, so for the most part, have not smoked the same blend more than 2 or 3 times. But my second smoke of Half and Half was REALLY good. I think I am drawn to burleys.

like you, I just ordered some old codger blends: SWR regular and aromatic, captain black royal, and Prince Albert. I already have carter hall, which I quite like.

Reactions: BROBS and bullet08

troyniss

Jul 8, 2018
I am considering buying some Sutliff Edworth RR match. I'm not a huge burley fan and don't want to go full in on a tub of Lane Ready Rubbed and not care for it. I have considered doing a Battle of the Codgers. I've tried Chatham Manor from Russ at P&C and being a clone of Carter Hall, I enjoyed it, but I really would have to smoke it heavily again like I did last year.

Magpiety

Dec 7, 2019
got pouches, wasn't sure if i'll like them or not.
That's a good idea, a buddy of mine ordered tubs the first time for some crazy reason lol.

Half & Half never clicked with me, but SWR and CH are both solid in my opinion. It also helps to have a baseline for exploring other "versions" of OTC tobaccos, like the H&H line. If the gubment takes away all of the blends I like, I'll still be like 95% as happy just smoking CH, PA, and SWR.

HatMagnet

Jan 24, 2020
Arkansas
I'm new to the pipe myself and OTC blends were the first I tried. Carter Hall stands out above the rest imo and it's become my daily go-to tobacco.

I've put a few tubs away for a rainy day (or price increases) and generally always carry a pouch with me. Nice stuff.

Granger is another OTC that I've found I like along with SWR aromatic.

burleybreath

Aug 29, 2019
I like the Americano OTCs quite a bit. The taste and aroma generally seem more "pipey" than the more upscale blends. Switching to straight virginias for the first time was a rough row to hoe for me. Latakia and orientals tasted medicinal and generally horrible. But I am now an experienced, arrogant connoisseur and I like all tobacco. Except the egregious Paladin Black Cherry--though I knew a guy who used to heavily cut it with PA, and it smelled quite good. Whatever works, I say.