PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Charlie718

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2021
Bronx, New York
Is there some connection of the statue and history of who or what company is in the building?
Not really lol, the owner of the building liked the artists work and that was the piece he was able to lease. There’s more to all the art in the lobbies of commercial buildings and it involves the owners getting rebates, tax breaks, and write offs.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Charlie718

Mar 25, 2021
Bronx, New York
Yes, and you can thank David Rockefeller for some of that.

I don't know if other cities or states have followed NY's lead in that department.
Oh yeah and some recent laws that have been enacted allow them to get tax payer dollars for burring there money in art as long as they display it in a Lobby and people praise those laws while screaming end corporate corruption smh. It’s mind boggling.

Reactions: FLDRD and jpmcwjr

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
The whole time i smoked it, though, the same stupid song kept bouncing around in my head: " I'm Popeye The Sailor man, I'm Popeye The Sailor Man..." Is this normal with cobs, Especially the first one?
It's normal for Coasties... of course, we're an extremely special breed. ?

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Not really lol, the owner of the building liked the artists work and that was the piece he was able to lease. There’s more to all the art in the lobbies of commercial buildings and it involves the owners getting rebates, tax breaks, and write offs.

So this was put in the lobby for no other reason then to get a tax break, rebates, write off etc.? ?

I hope you have a Cob, and walk by the owner, and give him a look and tell him Popeye is respected! LOL

Like don’t be putting down the pipe smoking sailor man! LOL

• Haha
Reactions: Charlie718

dctune

Stopped by a local smoke shop today while i had some time to kill and bought a MM cob. i don't know what model it is . It's about a 1/4 bent. Smoked it today with some MacB Plum Cake, which i also bought at the same time, and it was fine, The whole time i smoked it, though, the same stupid song kept bouncing around in my head: " I'm Popeye The Sailor man, I'm Popeye The Sailor Man..." Is this normal with cobs, Especially the first one?
Literally every single time I smoke my MM, I’m singing in my mind, “I’m strong to the finish ‘cause I eats me spinach…”.

Now, I don’t dislike spinach. Especially with some vinegar. But I don’t actually “eats me spinach.” It’s been years since I’ve done so. And as long as I’m coming clean here, I haven’t worked out once since the weather got cooler. So the “strong to the finish” part is a lie too. I did have Brussels Sprouts a few nights ago, though. I love those things. I digress.

Also, my wife and girls call me Popeye. I can never just enjoy the cob in peace lol. Never should’ve shown the girls those old cartoons.

• Haha
Reactions: anotherbob

seagullplayer

Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
It will pass with time. But you might get in big trouble if you start calling your lady Olive Oyl, unless that is her name...