PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I still think it's just a grade coining of Altinay. Three of my IMPs have a translucent appearance to them. Possibly a more common occurrence just not that often recognized or publicized.
I don't doubt that...but the problem is if you want to purchase that type of block, Altinay is the only seller that tells you upfront what it is.

Their prices for the non-bamboo translucent pipes aren't unreasonably higher than "standard" block.

Reactions: Said.ALTINAY

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I don't doubt that...but the problem is if you want to purchase that type of block, Altinay is the only seller that tells you upfront what it is.

Their prices for the non-bamboo translucent pipes aren't unreasonably higher than "standard" block.
PS: As far as how common or rare this type or "grade" of block is, I have no way of knowing...but I can only say that of all the meers I've ever had, only the "translucent" one I purchased from Altinay has those characteristics.

Reactions: Said.ALTINAY

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Meerschaum has done that periodically, probably supply. In 2013 the larger IMP offerings selling for $300+ were around $135. It's also a dying art with fewer and fewer carvers.

Enjoyed that...thanks for posting...I don't think I've seen it before.

The statement in it that meers filter out 80% of the nicotine I can't agree with though. I haven't noticed any significant difference in nicotine effect with the same blend whether it's meer or briar.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Enjoyed that...thanks for posting...I don't think I've seen it before.

The statement in it that meers filter out 80% of the nicotine I can't agree with though. I haven't noticed any significant difference in nicotine effect with the same blend whether it's meer or briar.
I haven't noticed a difference either. I always assumed by nicotine, they mean tar.

MCJ

Can't Leave
May 22, 2022
NW Connecticut
Now when I see your postings on the "What Are You Smoking?" thread stating that you are smoking your translucent meer I will have a better appreciation for what the pipe is! Very nice -- look forward to more pics as it begins to color!

+1, any updated pics, @cshubhra ? puffy
I had opened a thread to post coloring updates. However the last update was at around 188 bowls. Now I am past 240 and long overdue for an update. For various reasons I could not get to it. Hopefully I will be able to put a new picture update very soon.

Thread 'Coloring Progress Over Time / No Of Bowls of a Single Meerschaum Pipe'
Coloring Progress Over Time / No Of Bowls of a Single Meerschaum Pipe :: Meerschaum Pipes - https://pipesmagazine.com/forums/threads/coloring-progress-over-time-no-of-bowls-of-a-single-meerschaum-pipe.91885/

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
I had opened a thread to post coloring updates. However the last update was at around 188 bowls. Now I am past 240 and long overdue for an update. For various reasons I could not get to it. Hopefully I will be able to put a new picture update very soon.

Thread 'Coloring Progress Over Time / No Of Bowls of a Single Meerschaum Pipe'
Coloring Progress Over Time / No Of Bowls of a Single Meerschaum Pipe :: Meerschaum Pipes - https://pipesmagazine.com/forums/threads/coloring-progress-over-time-no-of-bowls-of-a-single-meerschaum-pipe.91885/
Thanks! I'll give this one a look. :)

Reactions: UB 40 and cshubhra

amok_101

Lurker
Oct 9, 2022
Where did you get it? Just thinking of giving my falcon a meerschaum bowl. There are some offerings of carvers in turkey. But yours is really a nice one.
I’ve got a few meerschaum Falcon bowls now, all from calabashpipesworld.com. I got lucky with this one I guess as it wasn’t listed as marbled/translucent or marked up in price. I had my eye on it for a while as it appeared marbled in the pics, until I finally took a chance and purchased it. Glad I did! They all fit perfectly/seal snugly with a gentle twist, on my estate straight stem Falcon with die-cast number FDB8 (Fry Die-cast). But I’ve tried several times now to acquire a newer bent stem, all of which wouldn’t fit these bowls or the briar bowl that came with my estate. Upon close inspection and comparison, it appears the threads on the newer stems aren’t engineered as deep for some reason, preventing the bowls I have from threading deep enough to form a seal. I’ve yet to try a newer Falcon brand briar bowl to see if their made different. Maybe I got three defective stems in a row, who knows. Something to consider. But they’re lovely on the stem they do fit on and my go to daily smokers.

Reactions: Scottmi and UB 40