Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Dear naïve Englishman,

We’ve got you covered.

Yours very sincerely,
The Colonies.

053d6cd6-a0d2-43cd-8ec8-3167592a46ce_1.4519e4c2ff6e30fdd42aea2243ab97f6.jpeg
Do college kids still drink beer through a straw here in the colonies? In my time, the thought was that is would get you drunk faster. ?

Reactions: beefeater33
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
I doubt they are critical of you.

Most folks just tout their own preferences so hard it seems they are critical.
You’d be surprised. I have mentioned it before but I left my only pipe show way earlier than planned because at least half the vendors kept telling me perhaps I should learn how to smoke properly so I don’t “need” a filter pipe when I’d ask then if they had any in their inventory. I stopped wasting my time maybe 2/3 through the pipe tables.

They don’t even realize the sales they lose by not having options. I even asked a few if they’d make a 6mm option and was declined by all but one who gave me a “maybe”. It’s the sole reason I just started making my own. I received many stern talking to’s that day.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
No filters for me. However, I own two Kaywoodies, one pre-1950’s with a 4 hole stinger and I must say, I don’t mind either one of these pipes, new or old.

Granted, these are not filters per se but they do work. Primarily, it keeps the tobacco within the pipe. No worries about drawing those annoying tiny tobacco pieces to the back of your throat. Yeah, you know the ones. And although I generally enjoy a dry smoke, the Kaywoodies stingers do work and you can pass a pipe cleaner all the way to the ball, removing any condensation from there to the stem.

All of my pipes are non filter except for my Sav 673 KS which I smoke filterless. It’s a 6mm filter, same as my Cobs — also enjoyed filterless.

Experiment a bit. I tried the balsa filter that came with the Sav. — I didn’t like it. I’ve tried the Medico Paper Filter(s) that comes with Cobs. Not for me either.

EvertonFC

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2020
Philadelphia
If I can jump in on the technique versus ph subject. I think there would be a way to test this. If, when EvertonFC smokes his pipe, does the pipe get so hot it has to be put down to cool off? When I smoke my pipe, it gets warm, but never so hot that I have to let it cool off. If the pipe gets too hot, that could be a source of tongue bite and a technique issue with packing and smoking. I would think that could be a possibility with a filter, since the draw is so much more restricted.

I try to never let my pipes get hot (even when using filters). And if they do get hot, I put them down and come back to once they've cooled. I can also smoke my pipes with only a handful of relights. So I don't actually believe it to be an issue of technique. The difference is, when I use filters I can smoke as many bowls a day as I like. When I don't use filters I get tongue bite fairly frequently.

As for 9mm filters being restrictive, I don't find that at all. Cheers.

Reactions: yanoJL and jpmcwjr

HitchensDog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Omaha, Nebraska, USA
I try to never let my pipes get hot (even when using filters). And if they do get hot, I put them down and come back to once they've cooled. I can also smoke my pipes with only a handful of relights. So I don't actually believe it to be an issue of technique. The difference is, when I use filters I can smoke as many bowls a day as I like. When I don't use filters I get tongue bite fairly frequently.

As for 9mm filters being restrictive, I don't find that at all. Cheers
That makes sense. If you get better smokes using a filter, then that is what you should do. It's all about enjoyment. I know filtered pipes are more popular in Europe.

MacMarty89

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2021
Greater Eindhoven Area, Netherlands
I have used the Dr. Perl charcoal filters from Vauen for many years. Vauen has developed those filters better than any other brand, I think. They work excellent, yet I do have the idea that the taste gets (slightly) muted when using a filter when I have smoked halfway through the bowl.

That's why I have bought some adapters for my 9 mm pipes in order to smoke them without a filter. Although I can control my cadence better when I don't use a filter, my pipes seem to smoke wetter when I do. I have to test it all a bit more now that I have discovered the microwave for drying my tobacco to the proper moisture content.

Keep you posted.

Last edited: