Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Manawydan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 24, 2024
I've seen videos on YT of 'wet smokers' who use filters (like Savinelli's balsa system), and also say they use one or more pipe cleaners during the smoke. Am I correct in assuming that they are just running the cleaner down the stem? I wouldn't imagine they would be taking the pipe apart mid-smoke (and while hot) to get the dottle at the bottom of the bowl...

Reactions: BrightDarkEyes

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
The least little gurgle really bugs me, probably so little most people wouldn't notice, so i def hit the stem with a cleaner, then after hitting it and telling it "bad stem!" i run it through. The nice thing is you just leave the cleaner on the side and it dries out a bit as you smoke and keep reusing it so it's not a new cleaner every time.

Manawydan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 24, 2024
The least little gurgle really bugs me, probably so little most people wouldn't notice, so i def hit the stem with a cleaner, then after hitting it and telling it "bad stem!" i run it through. The nice thing is you just leave the cleaner on the side and it dries out a bit as you smoke and keep reusing it so it's not a new cleaner every time.
And you use a filter?

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
With 9mm filters the stem always stays dry for me. I run a cleaner through when I take the pipe apart but a cleaner lasts a long time since the stem stays pretty clean. I use bristle cleaners on the stummel.

In my limited experience Ive found balsa filters to not be that absorbent.

Manawydan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 24, 2024
With 9mm filters the stem always stays dry for me. I run a cleaner through when I take the pipe apart but a cleaner lasts a long time since the stem stays pretty clean. I use bristle cleaners on the stummel.

In my limited experience Ive found balsa filters to not be that absorbent.
I use 6mm balsa filters in my Sav. They always come out quite damp after a bowl for me, so are definitely absorbing some. But I also think they just plain block moisture from traveling past. Either way I have been happy with the results.

PiperCalvinist

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2024
South Texas
I use 6mm balsa filters in my Sav. They always come out quite damp after a bowl for me, so are definitely absorbing some. But I also think they just plain block moisture from traveling past. Either way I have been happy with the results.
Me too! I’ve only used the Savinelli balsa filters and they have kept me from tongue bite and from any wet gurgling. The only pipe I’ve experienced gurgling from is my only non-filtered pipe, and I’ve experienced it every time I’ve used it. So the balsa has effectively dealt well with wet smoking. I like that because I don’t have to monkey around with pipe cleaners until after I smoke. I am buying some charcoal filters to try them out, but I have been pleased with the balsa thus far.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Don't forget to dry your tobacco before smoking it ... fresher tobacco is more moist and creates more condensation. As tobacco burns it draws some moisture from the air added to fresh tobacco this can create a wet smoke. With practice you can limit excess moisture by drying the tobacco in a drying tray (or coffee filter or cupcake liner) for sometime. The taste improves as well. Military stems can be broken down during the smoke for cleaner swiping without damage to the pipe. The Balsa filters filter 88% of the tar and nicotine per 2 university lab studies ... its on the Savinelli website. Charcoal filters are reputed to filter 90-95%. Vauen invented the charcoal filter. As @AJL67 there are only a few hard and fast rules ... do what you need to create your good smoke.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've not had the issue and only use pipe cleaners on the stem, airway, and chamber after breaking down the pipe immediately after smoking.

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

Manawydan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 24, 2024
Me too! I’ve only used the Savinelli balsa filters and they have kept me from tongue bite and from any wet gurgling. The only pipe I’ve experienced gurgling from is my only non-filtered pipe, and I’ve experienced it every time I’ve used it. So the balsa has effectively dealt well with wet smoking. I like that because I don’t have to monkey around with pipe cleaners until after I smoke. I am buying some charcoal filters to try them out, but I have been pleased with the balsa thus far.
I also bought some of the charcoal filters, but have had such good results with the balsa it's hard to switch in the moment for a test. :)

Reactions: PiperCalvinist

Manawydan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 24, 2024
Don't forget to dry your tobacco before smoking it ... fresher tobacco is more moist and creates more condensation. As tobacco burns it draws some moisture from the air added to fresh tobacco this can create a wet smoke. With practice you can limit excess moisture by drying the tobacco in a drying tray (or coffee filter or cupcake liner) for sometime. The taste improves as well. Military stems can be broken down during the smoke for cleaner swiping without damage to the pipe. The Balsa filters filter 88% of the tar and nicotine per 2 university lab studies ... its on the Savinelli website. Charcoal filters are reputed to filter 90-95%. Vauen invented the charcoal filter. As @AJL67 there are only a few hard and fast rules ... do what you need to create your good smoke.
Thanks for the information on filter effectiveness -- I didn't know that. And a very good reminder about drying tobacco before use. That's something I often forget in the heat of the moment.

Reactions: Hillcrest

BingBong

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
If there is enough spit, liquid, whatever, in the stem to "shake the juices out" i'm done. LOL
Ah, I don't use filters either. Nor dry my tobacco more that a few minutes, if that. Might take to wearing an eyepatch and enunciating "yarrrr!" on days other than 17th September, at this rate ;-)

Reactions: Manawydan