PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Smoked69

Lurker
Mar 9, 2020
My rotation is mostly Sav's and I have added adapters to all to avoid using the balsa filters. Back in my Dr g AND Medico days, I rarely used a filter.

Clovis

Lurker
Jun 8, 2020
Very good, then! No right or wrong answer, terrific. I will pick up and try some of the balsa and maple systems, and find what I fancy. Seems I am not doing it all wrong without, then, as well. Everybody wins. Thanks all, for much information! Cheers.

Clovis

Corto Waltese

Lurker
Oct 14, 2019
I have a few filtered pipes. I've got Missouri Meerschaum cobs, a 6mm Savinelli, and a couple 9mm filtered Petersons. I've tried, balsa, charcoal, Medico paper, and "activated carbon" (Vauen) filters.

In my opinion, the Medico filters don't do too much. The balsa filters are actually really good at absorbing moisture (they're soaked when I pull them out), but for an all around smooth smoke, the Petersons (used with their own brand charcoal filters) give me the best experience. I still get a buzz off stronger tobaccos with the Peterson filters, but no tongue-bite or anything else, and they soak up the moisture really well. They do seem to diminish the taste a bit, but I get a better air-flow with those Peterson filters over the activated-carbon Vauens.

The only real problem I have with the Petersons, is that they get very, very hot. I'll own that I'm a novice smoker, and that may be attributed to my technique, but they do seem to get hotter than my other pipes. It's a minor quibble though.

If anyone can recommend other pipe brands chambered for a 9mm filter, I'd love to hear about them.

marconi

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2019
England
I use both 9mm and 6mm charcoal filters. 6mm I use in cobs and 9mm in Briars and meerschaums.I find filters IMO give a drier smoke and stops tongue bite without reducing the flavour or the draw.As an example, Mac Barens Scottish mixture used to bite me and generally inflame my mouth.With a filter pipe I can smoke that blend pain free.

Reactions: Corto Waltese

Corto Waltese

Lurker
Oct 14, 2019
I can't 'recommend' them, as the only 9 mm pipes I've are Vauens, but Savinelli makes 9 mm versions of their pipes (though these are mostly found on the European market). Rattrays and Brebbia make 9 mm pipes as well.
How do you like your Vauens?

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
How do you like your Vauens?
Very much. Well, to be honest, the Quixx doesn't really get smoked: the filter chamber is too short for the adapter: it takes the filter alright, but not the adapter so I have to use a filter every time, which brings me to what I don't like about them: the Dr Perl filter.

As soon as moisture starts to soak into the Dr Perl filter I start getting a strong plasticky flavour that overpowers everything else. From that moment on I'll be tasting nothing but wet plastic. Nasty. Might as well smoke an English blend.

Which is what I ended up doing: dedicating that pipe for latakia blends and switching to a different brand of charcoal filters. I got a box of Big Ben filters at the local B&M and they don't seem to have that problem. Of course, I'm pissed because I had bought a 180-filter box of Dr Perls so now I must eventually use them up. That's why I was interested in the White Elephant Meerschaum filters, because the Dr Perls didn't work.

• Wow

Ted Vig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2019
Saint Paul, MN
I am curious, for those of you that use filters, how long you leave them in? For example, the Dr Grabow filters say to change daily. When I have used any filter 9mm, balsa, what have you, I've discarded after one smoke. They seem to get too gunked up with any more than that. Thoughts?

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
I am curious, for those of you that use filters, how long you leave them in? For example, the Dr Grabow filters say to change daily. When I have used any filter 9mm, balsa, what have you, I've discarded after one smoke. They seem to get too gunked up with any more than that. Thoughts?

From 2-3 smokes, usually just 2
Although if I smoked it too hot then I might change a charcoal filter after 1 smoke (a bit more damage/burn at the chamber end of the filter)

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
It depends. Charcoal and balsa: one smoke per filter. Every now and then a balsa might do for a second smoke, but I normally throw them out after the first one.

The Brigham maple distillators are designed to be washable with water and thus, they hold up for many smokes: you throw them out when they change colour to deep brown even after washing them.

Reactions: Ted Vig

tenton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 8, 2019
I've kind of went full circle with filters. Smoked mostly aromatics off and on for decades and rarely used a filter pipe.

A year or so ago, I started to add Virginias to my rotation, but found they tended to bite, so bought a 9mm filter pipe and some carbon filters which greatly reduced the bite.

Now I find that a pipe with an open draw, where I can better control my sipping technique, has made Virginias much more enjoyable and now back to a non filter pipe.

Corto Waltese

Lurker
Oct 14, 2019
I discard after each smoke.

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
For those 9mm filter users, if you have a vauen and other 9mm filter pipes that use charcoal filters - do you notice a difference? Vauen touts its “convex” system where there is a tighter fit around the filter that doesnt let smoke circulate around the filter.

Moonbog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
I have a few Savinelli pipes and one Rossi pipe that take the 6mm balsa filters. For some reason I find these pipes smoke great even without the filter or an adapter. Some I've had for over a decade and some are new. They're just great smokers. But I usually use the filters with Aromatics and hot burning Virginias or Burley blends.

I also have close to a dozen or so pipes from Stanwell and Vauen that take the 9mm charcoal filters. These I find usually smoke better with the filter than without.

I have one Brigham pipe with maple insert and always use it when smoking.

I have several MM Cobs and almost never ever use a filter though when I do, I prefer to use the Savinelli Balsa filters with them.

And then of course I have a bunch that don't use filters at all... some smoke great, others not so much. I'd just experiment if I were you to see what works best with which pipe and which blend.

tenton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 8, 2019
Have only had one Vauen pipe, a nice upper end Cumberland Canadian. Vauen Dr. Perl filters were a sloppy fit in that particular pipe. They rattled around worse than my BriarWorks 9mm filter pipe. I sent the Vauen back unsmoked for a refund. Plus the draft hole was drilled off center and low. Hopefully others have had better luck.

I once wrapped tape around one of the Dr. Perl filters in my BriarWorks pipe, so all air would have to pass through the filter. The draw was way too restricted for me.

Corto Waltese

Lurker
Oct 14, 2019
For those 9mm filter users, if you have a vauen and other 9mm filter pipes that use charcoal filters - do you notice a difference? Vauen touts its “convex” system where there is a tighter fit around the filter that doesnt let smoke circulate around the filter.
I’ve tried both. Peterson charcoal filters diminish the taste - but Vauen activated carbon filters seem to make it disappear altogether. Maybe it depends on the tobacco. I find both to be pretty good in terms of the fit in my pipes.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I did notice a difference in fitting the filter: the Big Ben filters ends are not as supple as the Vauen's blue cap and pressing them into place isn't as easy as the Dr Perls. You have to find a way to press the filter into the stem not just to make a seal for the smoke, but to prevent the thing to be rattling in there.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Have only had one Vauen pipe, a nice upper end Cumberland Canadian. Vauen Dr. Perl filters were a sloppy fit in that particular pipe. They rattled around worse than my BriarWorks 9mm filter pipe. I sent the Vauen back unsmoked for a refund. Plus the draft hole was drilled off center and low. Hopefully others have had better luck.

I once wrapped tape around one of the Dr. Perl filters in my BriarWorks pipe, so all air would have to pass through the filter. The draw was way too restricted for me.
You have to gently press the filter into the stem, blue cap towards you, in order to set it in place and ensure there's a seal and that the thing won't rattle. That's by design. You can't just throw it in there. I used to do the same thing and the rattle drove me nuts; then I read the instructions and slapped myself a bit with a large trout.

If you use the adapter instead, you also have to gently press it into place like a filter. Again, that's by design, and that's why non-Vauen adapters, which lack the rubber inset ring won't work: you won't be able to secure them in place and they'll rattle and let smoke pass all round them.

Ditto the drilling: it's not wrong/poor drilling: Vauens' off-centredness is by design as well.

Vauens_draught_holes.jpg

Vauen adapter (note the rubber ring that creates the seal when the filter is pushed into place):

Vauen_Tabak_Side_WM__96897.1348139841.jpg

Last edited:
  • Wow

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's too bad there isn't a one-pager on filters distributed with every new pipe, or more exactly, to every new pipe smoker. People end up buying filter pipes when they prefer no filter, or the type filter they don't want, etc. There are three or four most-used filters ... 6 mm paper, 6 mm balsa, 9 mm charcoal, plus various stingers and key stones that are more moisture traps than filters. Good online retailers always include the filter and its type in their specifications, which is only fair. With most pipes, you can just leave the filter out and smoke just fine. Or if that makes the airway too airy, you can get an adaptor to close up the airway a little. In buying pipes, just answer your filter questions in advance, or if necessary phone the retailer and ask. It's kind of a pet peeve of mine that this isn't made clear widely and often, but now you know.