PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Clovis

Lurker
Jun 8, 2020
Hello again! Found that the MM Country Gent bent has become a stalwart. Well done. The filter (6mm?) was destroyed in my latest light cleaning attempt, and I decided the bit wasn't my favorite so I jumped for a forever stem from Vermont Freehand (sad that I missed out on Walker briarworks). Should I install another one of those cheap filters when using the forever stem? What's the deal with filters in general (besides the obvious)? I was not sure on this. Any and all information is greatly appreciated. Much thanks!

Clovis

Reactions: Pipelady20
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Hello again! Found that the MM Country Gent bent has become a stalwart. Well done. The filter (6mm?) was destroyed in my latest light cleaning attempt, and I decided the bit wasn't my favorite so I jumped for a forever stem from Vermont Freehand (sad that I missed out on Walker briarworks). Should I install another one of those cheap filters when using the forever stem? What's the deal with filters in general (besides the obvious)? I was not sure on this. Any and all information is greatly appreciated. Much thanks!

Clovis
I throw mine away as soon as I get them. None of them have filters in them anymore.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
'Filters' are kind of a carpet term for many different types of filters.

There are charcoal filters, which pipes like Vauens use. I don't particularly care for these types.
actitube-activated-charcoal-filter-for-pipes-and-cigarettes-40e~6.jpg

There is the Savinelli system, which I've never tried:
001-545-0079.jpg

And then there is the Brigham maple system, which I believe is excellent. I wish i could use this on more pipes. It doesn't restrict flow and cuts down on moisture.

BrighamBoxWithFilter-272x224.jpg

Reactions: olkofri

Pipelady20

Can't Leave
Apr 17, 2020
East coast, USA
www.pipesmagazine.com
Clovis, I'm also a newbie. I used to pull out the filters on all of them but it's really a try it and see what works for you sort of thing. I went through a few weeks with no filters until I had a straight virginia tear up my tongue and I couldn't smoke for 3 days. It was then I worked on my packing technique differently, and varied the usage of my filters.

What i'm saying also is that you can use those things whenever you want, or with certain pipes, or with certain blends, etc. It's not necessarily all or nothing. Cheers.

PipesRock

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2020
Florida
I use the Medico paper ones that come with some filtered cobs. Only because I can still create lots of moisture (learning process) and I think/pretend it keeps moisture away from the wood. It doesn't alter draw much at all and lately if I don't have one handy I smoke without it.

Reactions: BROBS

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
no filters until I had a straight virginia tear up my tongue and I couldn't smoke for 3 days
Similar thing here with burleys: they bite me like mutant snapping turtles from outer space. Enter the balsa filters to the rescue. Balsa filters are also excellent in soaking up moisture from blends that are either goopy or tend to generate more moisture than others.

Filters have their place.

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
I’m kinda 50-50 on filters. In some cases, they actually noticeably mellow an otherwise harsh smoke, and they make smoking comparatively wet aromatics a less “gassy” experience, and they can tone down a strongly flavored blend a bit.

At the same time, they don’t really solve anything that can’t also be solved by being choosy about what you smoke, drying the tobacco a little more, packing it a little lighter, smoking a little slower, and not drooling into your pipe.

All of the pipes I started with were 9mm filter pipes, and those have since been retired in favor of unfiltered pipes.

Reactions: Bowie

Pipelady20

Can't Leave
Apr 17, 2020
East coast, USA
www.pipesmagazine.com
Similar thing here with burleys: they bite me like mutant snapping turtles from outer space. Enter the balsa filters to the rescue. Balsa filters are also excellent in soaking up moisture from blends that are either goopy or tend to generate more moisture than others.

Filters have their place.
I've used balsa filters once and was pleasantly surprised at how good they were, i had no problems with the draw.

Reactions: chopper

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
The comments show how we experience things differently.

My preference is to smoke without a filter. [I don't clench and don't smoke moist or goopy tobacco so excessive moisture is not an issue]
The cob-type filters inhibit the draw to the point where it detracts from the experience.

If a blend bites me, I use a 9mm charcoal filter which helps significantly and it doesn't inhibit the draw too much.

Try each type of filter and you'll probably find a preference ...... or not.

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio

Clovis
Filters are completely a personal preference. Some people love them, others hate them. I personally like them and wish that all of my pipes had a filter, but that's not the case since there is a much smaller subset of pipes that are nade fir filters than those without. Of my seven briar pipes, two have 9mm filters and one has 6mm filter. Four of my five MM cobs have 6mm filters.

Regardless of the type, filters are primarily for moisture control. However, they will remove some soot, etc. as evidenced by the pipe stem being much cleaner after a smoke with a filter than without and the end of the filter near the bowl will have some buildup on it. I also usually see some dirt in the channels of the Savinelli 9mm balsa filters.

The paper filters that come with MM filtered pipes are junk. If you like a filter, go ahead and smoke one bowl with the paper filter and then toss it. The paper ones are one-time use only anyway. I use the Savinelli 6mm balsa filters in my MM cobs. My understanding is that the Forever Stems are made to fit a MM filtered cob, but don't actually take a filter.

I really like the Savinelli 6mm and 9mm balsa filters. I have tried the Vauen 9mm charcoal filters and actually have a bunch of them, but they definitely do affect the draw so I don't like them as much. The key is to experiment with your pipes, filters, and various blend to see what works best for YOU. When it comes to filters - and most other things as well - nobody is really going to be able to tell your what is right for you based on your preferences.

Also, I only smoke four bowls or so per week and I clean my pipe after each pipe. If you use filters, I recommend waiting for the pipe to cool, then pull out the filter to dry (wood ones will be WET), and clean your pipe. I then cut off the dirty end of the filter to use it again. I can usually get 3-4 smokes per balsa filter depending on the blend.

aguineapig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2014
I like the savinelli balsa filters in my cobs occasionally. Sometimes i might even cut one of the paper filters in half and use that. But only when I'm trying to work thru a slightly problematic tobacco (waste not, want not, or whatever), or if my mouth is a bit irritated but I want to smoke anyway.

Dimitri

Lurker
Jul 2, 2020
St. Helens, England
I've always used filters in my pipes and so whenever I smoke without one something seems very off to me.
The draw of a pipe is a very important characteristic in my opinion, so changing that changes the character of a pipe massively.

Filters seem to be a lot more popular here in Europe than in the United States, have no idea why.
I've always used 9mm charcoal filters and have just started trying the 9mm balsa which I like very much.

This is just me, but I feel very satisfied when I remove a dirty, black filter from my pipe knowing all that stuff didnt go in my mouth and out my nose.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I have a number of pipes that take filters, 6mm balsa, 9mm (I like the charcoal filters, and the Brigham maple filters).

I can’t say that I’m in either camp as to whether to use them or not. On some pipes I have inserts that fill the space we’re the filter would go.

Sometimes I enjoy using filters, other times not... I don’t dwell on it much.

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg