PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jservant98

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2013
Southern Oregon
I was wondering if there is any advantages to getting a non filter pipe. I currently only have two filter pipes. Are non filter pipes better or is there a difference? Any help would be appreciated.. :D

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
It depends on what you smoke. For good and bad, a filter mutes the flavor of your tobacco. If your current pipes uses smaller filters (i.e not 9mm), I'd try it without the filter first and see if you like the taste of your tobacco. Personally, I pay alot for good tobacco and I'd rather taste it fully so I can't stand filters. Also, they tend to restrict the draw. But if I really liked goopy aromatics, then I could see the point in them.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I think jgrill nailoed it. I usually get rid of the filters, even in my cobs. I just bought a Brigham Country Club that uses the maple tube filters. many here recommend that I keep it in but I'm going sans filter with this pipe too.

Try both ways and decide what works best for you.

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
Trial and error is the only way to go here, as in so many facets of our gentle art. Most everybody I come in contact with eschews filters, preferring the full and accurate tobacco flavor, and I feel the same way. But strong blends or aromatic blends might please you better with a filter. Also if you tend to smoke wet, or find your pipes gurgling more than you like, a filter might not be the worst thing in the world.
I will say that since so many committed and experienced pipemen avoid filters, you'd be wise to at least give it a go yourself.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I don't smoke a pipe with a filter however if I had a Brigham I would leave the maple tube in.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm in the non-filtered camp. I have a little trouble getting the nuances of flavors through a filter. I do have

a Dr. Grabow that I use with its filters (or Medicos or Sav balsa which also fit it). This is good for when I want

a low-key version of a particular blend. The Dr. Grabow can also be smoked without a filter just fine. I've

just converted my two filtered MM cobs to unfiltered pipes by the replacement of the plastic stems with

Forever lucite stems from Walker Briar Works, and I didn't spend any time deciding that this is fine. However,

if you enjoy filtered smoking, and not unfiltered smoking, go with it. It's personal taste. In the U.S., pipe

smokers tend to prefer no filter. Some pipes that mostly come with filters, like Savenelli with their balsa

filters (or adaptors that come with most of their pipes) also come in unfiltered versions, for example the

Sav Oscar Lucite series, and their unfinished (unstained) pipes that are excellent smokers -- I have both.

I find the Sav adaptors to have a "flavor" I don't like, but I'm the only one I've ever heard complain.

peter70

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2013
One definite disadvantage of filter pipes is, that the shank has to have a certain diameter to take the filter, so all shapes will not be possible/available with filter. When I talk of filters, I mean 9mm (charcoal) filters, as 6mm filters usually have a high resistance and the taste detoriates considerably.
Smoking a filter pipe without filter, or adapter, is usually possible, but it is more difficult to clean the filter chamber, than with normal pipee. Some say, that more moisture accumulates in the chamber, due to airflow expansion, some others say, it smokes cooler, because of the chamber, but this depends on the pipe, the smoker and the tobacco.
Filter use is nearly non existent outside Germany, but I sometimes wonder why. Have you ever experienced a tobacco, which you generally like tastewise, but fries your tongue, or has a sharp or bitter taste, which you don't care for? Try it with a 9mm charcoal filter, preferrably from Stanwell, and the tongue bite is gone and sharp, or bitter tastes do not come through. It is true, that the filter is taking something out of the smoke, but this is not generally a bad thing. A tobacco with too much nicotine, but good taste, can be mellowed with a filter, too.
Regards,

Peter

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
The only filter I use, as has been stated above, is the Brigham Rock Maple Filter. All other pipes get the filter removed and the adaptor put in it's palce. I find pipes that require a filter, should be used with one, or the adaptor, as they will generate excessive moisture. There are obviously people who do not think this way though.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
You can replace the paper filter in you cobs with a 6mm balsa wood insert filter and replace the 9mm filter in your Sav's with a 9mm balsa wood insert filter. They are extremely cheap and can be rinsed and reused or you can make them yourself for pennies.

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
I go back and forth with my Savs as the notion strikes me. I have three Canadian made Brighams and the rock maple insert is terrific! I wouldn't call it a filter. The thing about smoking your pipes is you should smoke them as you like.

chervokas

Might Stick Around
Jul 21, 2013
I actually always used to pull filters out of pipes, especially paper filters, but lately I've taken to using balsa filters in my cobs and I quite like them -- they keep the ash out of my mouth, they keep the smoke dry, and if there's an impact on taste it's minor enough for me not to notice at all unless I try by direct comparison.

eazye77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2012
I use to do pipe filters in my cob and I ended up not using them anymore. I like to taste my tobacco as well. Plus, filters are just another expense I don't need with the hobby.

jservant98

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2013
Southern Oregon
I only have two pipes so far, a MM cob and MM hardwood.They both came with filters. If I smoke without the filter do I need to pack the tobacco tighter? Without the filter it seemed like there was no resistance and I was sucking air through a straw. Maybe since I have gotten used to having the filters, I will have to adjust to no filter?
/

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Without the filters, those MM are really open. If you slow down, the draw should be fine so packing isn't the issue. It's more that the stray ash will get sucked through. It's been years since I did this (insert plug for Walker Forever Stems here) but I recall that I just sucked it up and spit the ash out. I think other's might use a little paper towel in to act like a screen. All that being said, I think there is a large contingent that uses the same MM stems but tosses the filter.
But if you're used to pushing like a freight train due to the filter, yes, you will need to slow down and adjust or you'll be sucking a mouthful of ash.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
In my opinion filters are an abomination and the scourge of pipe smokers the world over. Pipe tobacco has flavor, running it through paper or wood takes away flavor. I would never use a filter as the pipe Gods would consider me a blasphemer and make all my pipes smoke wet and hot. If you are using a filter because your pipes smoke wet, buy pipes that don't smoke wet. I have owned plenty of filtered pipess, 6mm and 9mm and smoked them all with no filters and they smoked great.
Forsake your filters, throw them in the trash, the pipe Gods will bestow nothing but great smokes upon you. :lol:

Reactions: Dr_Harshit_Joshi

dukdalf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2011
Thank you, cigrmaster, I couldn't have said it better. Death to Dr. Perl and his likes :mrgreen: .

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
cigrmaster said: " If you are using a filter because your pipes smoke wet, buy pipes that don't smoke wet."
When I first began smoking pipes, a friend whose Yoda-like advise was invaluable to me said that the presence of filters in a pipe was pretty much an admission on the part of the pipe maker that the pipe was not high quality.
Good briar, he said, was it's own natural filter (ergo the importance of resting a pipe between smokes) and that filters got put in second class briar since it could not otherwise perform it's natural function.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
I love my filter pipes! Savinelli and Brigham. I actually thinks onec the filter becomes seasoned (1-2 smokes) it improves the flavor. But like everyone says try both ways and decide for yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.