PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

HitchensDog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Omaha, Nebraska, USA
How long would you leave a filter in? If we clean our good pipes each time we smoke what do we do with the filter?
I toss the filter after each smoke, but keep in mind I only smoke one bowl a day. If I smoked a couple of bowls consecutively I would leave a 9mm charcoal filter in for those two bowls. The 6mm grabow type filters I would still toss after one bowl. Pass through 9mm filters I would also toss after one bowl. I don't use the balsa filters, so not sure how I'd handle those, but no more than a couple of bowls I would guess (for me anyway).

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
In my cobs that accept a filter I use a filter. IMHO it makes no difference to taste.
I never use a filter more than once.
Just give it a try both ways and decide for yourself.
My Brighams use what's called the Maple filter system. All they are supposed to do is absorb moisture but I do find that the maple insert filters do restrict the flow a bit. And you can wash them and reuse them until at your discretion, they look dirty enough to toss.

Seamaster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2020
Scotland
I use the 6mm balsa filters in my Savs and chuck 'em after every smoke. I don't know how you can do anything else, unless you want to remove and reinsert the disgusting thing multiple times. It has to come out to run a pipe cleaner through.

For what it's worth, and this may be entirely autosuggestion, I do think they take the edge off any possible tongue bite with aros.

I don't bother with filters in cobs, but that's because I always avoid the rubbish plastic stems that take them in favour of acrylic ones that don't.

Reactions: Sloopjohnbee

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
I have both kinds, with a filter and no filter. Either way, makes no smoking difference to me....aside from the extra expense of buying and changing filters. Additionally, changing out used up filters also means twisting and taking out the stem more often. That's a demerit in my book.

One thing I really don't like....the requisite thin shank-walls on some 9mm pipes. Cringe-worthy with a tight fitting stem. Another demerit. No sir...don't like them thin walls at all. Some pipes need a little extra meat around those stress points. Twisting tight stems out of a thin shank pipe, makes me nervous. I have enough stress in my life.

In all honesty I'd rather not have to deal with the filters. I pass on any filtered pipes, now.

Reactions: Seamaster

Recon Paul

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2020
New Jersey, US
I have a 9mm briar, 6mm briar, and a cob that takes a 6mm. In each case I find the draw is better with the filter. Without the filter the draw is too "open" or loose feeling. There is likely a term for this with which I am not familiar.

I have one briar that is filterless. My cobs smoke better. I've only found one blend that doesn't taste like wood out of it. Not sure if the lack of filter correlation or causation, but it's a fact Jack.

Reactions: Seamaster

Peter - CCB

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2019
Santa Barbara, CA
www.etsy.com
If one buys one of these, is it a big deal or big difference to smoke without the filter?
It really is up to the person. I’m sure it’s been said. Some swear by em, some think they take away. I’m relatively new. One year in.. 70 plus pipes now though and every waking moment on em. Lol. I like them. I’ve got a good mix of all types. I mocked towards 9mm filtered when they have them you can always not use the filter too. Try one like a 6mm grabow with and without maybe. I love that a pipe rarely gurgles with a filter. if I’m on a walk, I don’t want to carry a pipe cleaner and put it back in my pocket after it’s nasty. So i only take filtered with me then.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
How long would you leave a filter in? If we clean our good pipes each time we smoke what do we do with the filter?
  • Balsa: I toss it after each smoke. They might last for more than one bowl, though, so YMMWV.
  • Maple distilators: rinse with water and let dry, then put back in the pipe for another smoke. You can do this until they turn brown, then you need toss them.
  • 9 mm: I toss them after each bowl. Dr Perls, I even take them out and replace them mid-bowl, as they get soggy very fast and then start tasting like plastic and all you taste is filter from that point on.

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
I have two filtered pipes both of them are Pete's .
I use reducers to bring the draw to about 3mm which is my comfort zone.
Not hating to each his own.:col:

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
To me they're a deal-breaker. Can't stand them. If I omit the filter, I dislike the greater airflow, if I use it, I dislike the effect on the taste and strength of the blend. To each his own.

Reactions: edger

Swampy16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2020
I just smoked a bowl with the filter in. So I’ve had one with, without, and with the insert and really see little difference although with, I think the tobacco may have tasted a bit better though not enough to say I’ll use filters.

Reactions: username