PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Swampy16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2020
If one buys one of these, is it a big deal or big difference to smoke without the filter?

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
All of my Savinellis are filtered. Sometimes I use a filter, sometimes I use the adapter, and sometimes I use nothing at all. With the adapter, they smoke similar to non-filtered pipes. Without the filter and adapter, there is more draw, but still smokes perfectly fine.

Reactions: scloyd and Swampy16

JPremo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Viva Las Vegas
I have a bunch of filter pipes and non filter pipes, as well as stinger pipes with metal tenon inserts. I prefer the pipes with something in the stem, if only to prevent dottle and other shmutz from getting into your teeth while smoking. A good bent pipe will prevent that as well for the most part, but filters just give you that extra protection.

I've noticed on the pipes with actual 9mm or 6mm filters the flavor is a bit different from the stinger or non filter pipes, maybe it's slightly muted, or I guess a better way to describe it would be less distinct but more melded flavors? Either way they certainly help pull moisture out of your smoke at the cost of restricting the draw.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I once owned 6mm Savinelli pipes and 9mm Winslow pipes and smoked them all with no filter or adaptor and they smoked great. My personal thought about filters is that they take away flavor and for me that is a total deal killer. I would smoke them without. If you think you will get less tongue bite, keep dreaming. It is your cadence and how hot you keep the cherry in your pipe. Great technic will beat a filter all day.

Swampy16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2020
I have no issues with tongue bite. I’m just trying to learn the difference between each type of pipe I’m attracted to. I did have some toasted gums the first night I smoked my P-Lip but that was likely my fault, maybe. Still not sure I’m in love with it. I’d love to get a fishtail for it but I’m not giving up. It’s technique obviously.

HitchensDog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Omaha, Nebraska, USA
All of my pipes use 6mm or 9mm filters, with the exception of one. I use filters primarily to cut back on the nicotine. I have one non filtered pipe (a nice meer), and I honestly don't notice any difference in taste between that pipe and all of my filtered pipes. However, I do notice that the nicotine hit is far less with my filtered pipes.

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I wonder if there are any figures on the proportion of pipe smokers who use filters. My guess would be about 25% of U.S. pipe smokers use the filters regularly and 75% don't. Europeans use them more, and mostly the 9 mm filters, and I'd guess 60% to 80% do. Few artisan pipes are designed for use with a filter of any kind, which may mean that more experienced pipe smokers and/or more affluent pipe smokers use filters less often or not at all.

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
I have no issues with tongue bite. I’m just trying to learn the difference between each type of pipe I’m attracted to. I did have some toasted gums the first night I smoked my P-Lip but that was likely my fault, maybe. Still not sure I’m in love with it. I’d love to get a fishtail for it but I’m not giving up. It’s technique obviously.
There’s a nice video on Peterson pipes on the smoking pipes website that talks about the p lip and the way which you’re supposed to smoke with it. It’s not intuitive that your tongue goes on the bottom of the P lip, and watching that video really helped me enjoy my system pipes with the P lip so much more.

• Wow
Reactions: anotherbob

Swampy16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2020
There’s a nice video on Peterson pipes on the smoking pipes website that talks about the p lip and the way which you’re supposed to smoke with it. It’s not intuitive that your tongue goes on the bottom of the P lip, and watching that video really helped me enjoy my system pipes with the P lip so much more.
Any chance you could post that link? I can’t find it.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I don't like filters. I don't like rubbers either, and for some of the same reasons. I do like Carey Magic Inch pipes, however. Spare me the 1" jokes, please.

• Haha
Reactions: Effortlessdepths
Jun 9, 2018
England
That depends on the person. I personally don't taste any difference between using filters and not using filters.

Totally agree. Some of my pipes are filtered and some aren't, I honestly can't taste much of a difference flavour wise. Filtered pipes to me are akin to filtered cigarettes, I like both but the 9mm filter just takes all the rough edges off.
Each to their own I say. Try with & without a filter and see which you prefer.

Swampy16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2020
How long would you leave a filter in? If we clean our good pipes each time we smoke what do we do with the filter?