Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Oct 16, 2024
Idaho
it's like many probably said a matter of taste and preference. Try it see how it works for you. They're not super popular but the people who like filters often only smoke with a filter. All a filter really does is takes out some of the moisture making it less prone to burning your tongue. If you aren't have that issue feel free to try a filter but I do doubt you'll find it an improvement.
I do get a little bit of tongue bite which is why I started considering using a filter in the first place. As new as I am, I'm also wondering if that could just be from lack of experience.

Reactions: anotherbob

JoburgB2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 30, 2024
Dundee, Scotland
I tend to use a filter with a corn cob because of their relatively gaping wide open draught hole, where the hardwood inserts the cob. I kept getting bits and pieces of tobacco crumbs on the lips and tongue. But it’s no hard and fast rule. Sometimes I use filters, sometimes not. PS: the wide open draught hole is why I think I like cobs, the airway is opened up, giving an easy unrestricted draw, full of tobacco flavours.

Bassman65

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2022
Canada
I also have a sensitive mouth and I love smoking aro’s. I only smoke with AC filters. My preference are 9mm, however, some Savinelli pipes and cobs only take 6mm.

After moving to filters, I’ve never looked back. Just wish I hadn’t bought so many pipes prior to figuring out my preference.

I’ve a beautiful unfiltered Savinelli Churchwarden I’ve never even smoked.

Reactions: thereformedcob

WirelessSmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2024
New England
In the cobs that will take a filter, I use the Dr. Grabow 6mm paper filters. I find that those cobs smoke a little better for me with the filter than without. I don't think there's a problem smoking them without a filter as I've done it many times. I just don't get enough difference in taste to be firmly in one camp or the other. I do find that if I smoke a blend that's on the wet side the filter does help dry up the smoke a bit, which may reduce some burn from excess steam. They are only a couple bucks for a pack of ten filters so they're cheap enough to experiment with.

Reactions: ziv and Puff nstuff

Puff nstuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 2, 2021
Inland Southern California
I prefer Medico filters for my cobs and other pipes that take a 6 mm filter. They are probably the least intrusive in regards to the draw and the flavor, but they definitely soak up the moisture and keep the smokestream and airway cleaner. They're also the cheapest.

Reactions: ziv