pipesmagazine.com
I've been smoking:

H&H Anniversary Kake

H&H Virginia Spice

H&H Louisiana Red

Scotty's Bulk Blends Old Red

McClelland Holiday Spirit 2008

Captain Black Gold
I think that covers everything since the last time I was on.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Breakfast was coffee, the morning paper, and a bowl of P.A.
Brunch was McClelland's bulk 2035: Dark Navy Flake, "Pungent Cake," Eastern Belt Lemon Leaf and cutter grade tobacco; aged and lightly stoved. Vaguely sweet, pungent, fermented, orangey taste with a citrus-like tartness that lingers in the finish.
Shovelled snow and rewarded myself with a bowl of H&H's Capitol Stairs, a Burley, Va., Perique and Deertongue blend that compliments the holiday-like weather.

clanobucklin

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2010
How is the H&H Capitol Stairs? I saw it being advertised on 4 Noggins. What does it taste like? It certainly sounds intriguing. I especially love complex VA blends.
Tonight its going to be P@W #191 (aka Honey Vanilla) and Magic #13!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
The best I can do for a description is a slightly tart Vaper backed by a nutty Burley; and the deertongue, which I think is the leaf of a wild vanilla plant, provides an herbal spiciness that seems to fit-in with the Christmas Holiday. The whole blend leans gently toward the sweet end of the spectrum; by which I mean to say it is by no means saccharine.

I don't smoke this more than once a day, if that. And if I could recommend any changes it would be to use a bit less deertongue, because it is too prominent -- not cloying, mind you, but too prominent. It would be better if there was just the mere suggestion of the taste that deertongue creates.

H&H's Capitol Stairs would be a good introduction to deertongue, if you haven't had it before.

Bob smokes Russ Ouellette's blends. Maybe he could give us a better review sometime.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Finished the day with a bowl of GL Pease's Cumberland, a robust blend of mahogany Kentucky, red and matured Va., and Perique.

Lot's of vitamin N.

clanobucklin

Jan 19, 2010
How about it Bob can you fill me on Hearth and Home tobaccos and which ones you recommend?

p.s.

I finished my day by smoking P&W #400 in a Dr Grabow Fancy - I include the description below. Beware - smoke this one on a full stomach. This is the first time I have tried this blend and all I can say is WOW!
WILKE No. 400

A full English blend for those who prefer something with greater body or as an after dinner smoke. A base of the finest Latakia to which is added Turkish Yenidje, Kentucky Burley, Perique and Virginia in medium, long, and granulated large cuts. Not for the timid!

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
I am hunkered down in SoCal, with Peter Stokkebye Bullseye Flake, Twist Flake, Orlik Golden Slice, and Count Pulaski. So far so good.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Snowed-in in Chicago, using P.A. to bring my energy level (read ambition) to the point where I can face 10 in. drifts

yet another time within 24 hrs.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Smoking H&H Virginia Spice in the Blizzard of 2010 Version 2.0
I have never had H&H Capitol Stairs, but it sounds pretty interesting and I will have to give it a try soon. I have never tried a blend with Deertongue.
Here are the Hearth & Home blends that I have tried and what I think about them:

Anniversary Kake - Awesome

Virginia Spice - Awesome

Louisiana Red - Awesome

LJ Heart Virginia - Really Good

Namaste' - Really Good

EggNog - Really Good during the holidays

LJ Heart Burley - Good (Haven't smoked it in years, have to re-visit it)

Old Companion - Good (Haven't smoked it in years, have to re-visit it)

Marble Kake - OK (Haven't smoked it in years, have to re-visit it)

Grandma's Kitchen - OK (Haven't smoked it in years, have to re-visit it)

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Bob, Capitol Stairs is a good place to get introduced to deertongue because you're familiar with Ouellette's "signature tastes," if you know what I mean. I can't decide if it's a Burley blend sweetened with a Vaper, or a Vaper braced-up with Burley.
If you're more comfortable with the signature tastes of Cornell & Diehl, then Trinidad would be a more appropriate introduction to deertongue. That's Cavendish, Burley, Perique and deertongue. Delectable!
I just can't recommend their Crooner however. It is a pleasant deertongue-seasoned Burley, but I just can't keep a bowl of the stuff going. They call it cube-cut Burley, but I'd call it "nuggetized." Rock-hard little 4mm cubes of Burley.
Just rewarded myself for plowing thru 10 in. drifts by smoking a bowl of P.A. in a... (pardon my snobbery Kevin)... ⅛-bent deadroot briar bulldog handmade by Julius Vesz. Put P.A. in a Vesz deadroot briar, you say? Well, the only Vesz I could afford is an humble "circle-3," so I guess I can't be too snooty. (LOL) "Circle-3" resides at the bottom end of a scale from 1 - 9 + A thru D !!!

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
I cant get enough of Nording Pointer does anyone know of a close match .McClelland blends this for the label .I smell choc and and candy corn , Daughter says coffee and pancake syrup .reviews say Cracker Jacks . I like it not all gooey and messy like most aro blends .

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
On a bender with Nat Sherman Old Oxford No. 649 since I bought a pound of it. Smoking it in my Charatan Knightsbridge Pot #2502.
charatan-pot-knightsbridge-2502-150x58.jpg

clanobucklin

Jan 19, 2010
Hey Bob,
How is the quality of Hearth and Home tobaccos - I am used to likes of Esoterica Tobaccoiana, G.L. Pease, and Wilke blends. No offence but they are so cheaply priced and I saw review in Tobacco Reviews that said something about ...gasp...it looks like Fish Flakes. Let me know. Am going to light up P@W #400 soon - a latakia based blend.
By the way I love red virginias and perique.

clanobucklin

Jan 19, 2010
Hello Bob,
Decided to order some H&H tobaccos - I ordered Sunza, VA Spice, Lousiana Red, Capitol Stairs, Stogie, AJVAPER,

Aniversary Cake - I will be posting and letting you and Cortezattic what I think about them.
Had a morning pipe - before I went out to sell "hootch" aka wine - Smoked P&W Gramercy Park - in a long Stemmed Sir Scot Canadian.

Status
Not open for further replies.