PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Yes, there is lung cancer in Japan.

I’m not arguing in favor of cigarette smoking. It’s dangerous. In America it kills off about 20% of smokers. You’d never play Russian roulette with one bullet in a five chambered revolver.

But read this :

Another study of CT screening for lung cancer in Hitachi city reported that 57.5% of all lung cancers developed in never-smokers (6). In both studies, the percentage of never-smokers among the patients with lung cancer detected by CT screening was higher than 50%. In Japan, according to the cancer statistics for 2009, death from lung cancer in never-smokers was estimated to be the fifth most common cause of death in men and third most common cause of death in women, reflecting a relatively high rate (31% of all lung cancers in men and 80% of all lung cancers in women) of occurrence of lung cancers not related to smoking (10).

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Everything in moderation. If you smoke cigarettes, especially the commercially made ones in quantity then the longer you smoke the more likely you are to pick the winning lottery ticket and get lung cancer. I remember when I was at boarding school we used to roll our own and I soon worked out that the amount of tobacco in a 'tailor made' was the equivalent of 5 RYO. So one packet of 10 Woodbine was the equivalent of 50 RYO. Add into the equation that 'tailor made' cigarettes contained Salt Peter to keep the things burning and goodness knows what other additives it is hardly surprising that they were called 'Coffin Nails' and are a veritable witches brew of carcinogens. In terms of the WW2 generation, as was the same for the WW1 generation, cigarettes were pretty stout things. Anyone on here who has smoked Woodbine, Camel unfiltered or Lucky Strike will know you can just about inhale the first third of the cigarette without keeling over. Less inhaling equals less tar in the lungs along with quitting in 1960s after the Surgeon Generals Report equals the possible longevity of the WW2 generation. Just saying, as for pipe smoking I think we have all seen the arguments on that one endlessly repeated on here.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Where I first heard about the mystery of why Japanese men smoke a bunch of cigarettes but Japanese men don’t die from it as much as they are predicted to, was from the same medical school student friend who wanted the government to require higher nicotine levels.

How about these statistics?

—-

As of 2019, the Japanese adult smoking rate was 16.7%. By gender, 27.1% of men and 7.6% of women consumed a tobacco product at least once a month. This is the lowest recorded figure since the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare or Japan Tobacco began surveying in 1965.

Reactions: OldVark

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
As an after thought and I have said this on here before so if I am repeating sorry. A lot of it is down to genetics and environment. Everyone in my family smoked, my Father was a pipe and cigar man, his two brothers Claudius and Weston were RYO and pipes, my Grandfather was Woodbine, RYO and cigars, my Great Grand Father who went to 99 or 103 was a RYO man and pipe. His two other sons who survived WW1 were pipe smokers, my Uncle Charles WW1 Machine gunner 1914-18 RYO. All of them went into their late 80s and beyond but all of them were from countryside. I suppose our American friends would describe them as Deep South people. I suppose in the final analysis if its go your number on it and today is the day your number comes up so be it!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Where I first heard about the mystery of why Japanese men smoke a bunch of cigarettes but Japanese men don’t die from it as much as they are predicted to, was from the same medical school student friend who wanted the government to require higher nicotine levels.

How about these statistics?

—-

As of 2019, the Japanese adult smoking rate was 16.7%. By gender, 27.1% of men and 7.6% of women consumed a tobacco product at least once a month. This is the lowest recorded figure since the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare or Japan Tobacco began surveying in 1965.
Have you smoked a Japanese cigarette? They're like sucking air through a straw.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
All my life I’ve been fascinated with the 1918 Spanish flu.

If I’m a storyteller, I’m a pale shadow of the storytellers of my youth.

In 1918 my father’s family was if not wealthy, very well to do. The old photographs they had made by professional photographers at the farm, plus Kodak Brownie photos, show these people out of some modern movie about the era.

My great grandmother Paralee, as is our custom, had dictatorial rule of the huge two story home. She declared a quarantine.

They social distanced. They even wore masks.

And none of them caught the flu until—-

The night of November 11, 1918 Humansville threw an enormous celebration.

Her husband, Alvin, was head of the Grand Army of the Republic lodge, so he defied her and the rest of the family went to Humansville,

Paralee drove her carriage over to her daughter in law Cora’s home, because Cora had a small daughter by Elmer, Paralee’s son somewhere in France.

The 13 year old hired boy Alva, as he told this part always cried.

Mama had told us to stay home, now we were so sick we couldn’t even eat.

Finally Eva (a daughter) said Oh my God Alva go fetch Mama, I’m afraid Daddy is about to die.

Alva ran out, tossed himself over a fast horse and sped off to Cora’s in the dead of night.

When he got close Paralee had heard a rider coming and was out side with a shotgun and a latern.

Alva heard Alva’s sad story, from far away.

She said Alva please harness my buggy, and I’ll be along shortly.

Three days later, all the others were nearly well, when Paralee took sick and had a stoke that caused her to vomit blood all over Eva, according to Alva, who told it to me.

She was 69 and her death certificate has no mention of influenza.

The Spanish flu was the worst pandemic since the Black Death.

It may have killed as many as 5% of all souls on earth.

It killed more youth than WW1.

Yet it completely spared every member of Congress and all other major nation’s leaders.

And then after 1920 it vanished off the earth. They had to dig up corpses from the permafrost to find the dead virus, about 80 years later.

The mystery is, when I visited graveyards with those old storytellers pointing out this and that one that died from the 1918 flu, except for Paralee they were all poor, compared to her.

When a tornado hits a small town here in Missouri, ground zero is usually a trailer park.

The well to do have better diet, better medical care, and better clothes.

Buf what does God have against poor folks, Id like to know?

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: aspiring_sage

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
On the other hand many states have weed shops all over the place- big cities, small towns, & out in the middle of nowhere.
They’re Very big on regulating the other guys vices, but not their own.
Damned hypocrites.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
On the other hand many states have weed shops all over the place- big cities, small towns, & out in the middle of nowhere.
They’re Very big on regulating the other guys vices, but not their own.
Damned hypocrites.
At our local all night C store and gas station the other night I saw something astounding among all the $1 bottles of cheap booze and 2 for $1 cigars.

For $19.95 there was a package of synthetic cannabis gummy bears.

One of my weed card clients explained:

At the weed dispensaries (which BTW are passed out as political favors) he said the real deal gummy bears are also $20. They are better than the synthetic ones.

But the synthetic ones will give you a good buzz, not as good as the real ones, but those don’t require a weed card, he said.

Back when I was a kid there was 3.2% non intoxicating kiddie beer and real beer at 5%.

They make it legal for tax revenues.

It’s not about the good of the public.