PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

orthodoxpiper

Lurker
Jan 11, 2019
Next time to avoid any issues it's probably easier to just copy/paste your articles instead of linking. I enjoyed it and don't necessarily mind that it's your private blog, but I can understand the sentiment that maybe it's not the best idea to link to it.
Always good to hear from someone who has their ear to the ground about stuff like this. I found this article in particular devoid of any strong political leanings (aside from being pro-tobacco), so I don't see an issue if you're copy/pasting articles in the future.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Personally, I feel as though we have this section under PM for a reason. It is, after all, called the tobacco legislation section. There is almost no way that threads appearing here won't toe the line if not dash across it into the political spectrum. I can ignore anyone's politics of an issue and whatever political affiliation they may side with, I'm more interested in the core issue or information at hand. Therefore, I appreciate the OP's intent to provide us with valuable information that can be discussed without venturing into the deep end of the political spectrum.
Honestly? If we don't want something political, then maybe either A) There shouldn't be a thread category for the explicit use of introducing topics that could and, more often than not, become political, or B) Threads created under Tobacco Legislation" should not be woven into the forum thread listings with all the rest and you should have to actually go to that section for the Tobacco Legislation threads. Maybe that's just me.
All I'm saying is that I appreciate the OP's intent and the articles he posted to. All of these things can be viewed objectively, just as I collect my daily intake of news stories from many different perspectives as someone always leaves some little tidbit out that harms any agendas they might be pushing. I found it informative and if any agendas I found present, were that of from the pipe smokers perspective. That is what we all want to still be able to do, so anything that is working to counter our ability to smoke pipes freely, is news very welcome to me.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Well that one still doesn't bother me too much. I don't really care where articles were originally published as I've read them from the mix, so I see all sorts of links throughout my day. Maybe I've just learned to ignore it by now.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
The cogent material could have been posted with redirecting members to a blog. And, yes, political issues can be discussed, even argued, without calling names or being derogatory. Some here cannot do that. Ergo, the restrictions. Violators get run off or banned.
"Knee jerk" profanity filled, sometimes bigoted, responses were the norm for some who are no longer here. Their membership is usually and thankfully ... short. They could be entertaining in their short lives though and sometimes brought a bit of amusement.

Having been following this whole thing since the beginning, what irks me most, is when the whole FDA thing becomes a political check point for a side. Remember that this was not an initiative started by the President (any president) but it was started by the cigarette industry as a way to control RYO pipe tobacco and vapes. This was obvious at the start, and if you check the FDA Board (last time I checked it) it was made up of cigarette industry board members. This is clearly the big corporations cracking down on smaller competition. We saw this with chewing tobaccos not long before all of this started. Same thing.

If you hate this FDA thing, then be sure to kick the heads in of cigarette execs when you see them, and don't give a dime to those cigarette companies, because then you're just fueling all of this.

gerryp

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
But refraining from sharing this part of our lives on Forums has made this site successful and a good discussion of pipes, tobaccos, and general topics.
Thanks for that post MSO. Rampant knee-jerk politics is why I'm posting here and rarely log into Facebook any more.
Facebook/Twitter: A bunch of people who hardly know each other screaming about things they know nothing about.
Here: Civil, intelligent people who discuss common interests.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
It is, admittedly, a fine line to walk talking about legislation on here, even when it's pertinent.
Maybe we ought to do like they used to do in Dragnet: "just the facts, ma'am"

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
...and this falls under this:
PipesMagazine.com cannot be used just as a means to promote your own web site, blog, YouTube Channel, Facebook Page, or any other outside landing page.
A blog post or a forum post that is one to a few sentences that are just a lead-in to an outbound link is blatant promotion, or spam. It does nothing to add value to our site, does not enhance the user experience, and is not a participation in the community on the site.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
"just the facts, ma'am"
Cosmic and a few of the others have it down to a science. They can post facts, offer interpretations and even opinion without causing a fight on the playground. We all could learn from them, with respect to how to post and even comment without obscenities or ad hominem attacks. Those with no skill in debate often feel the need to engage in both, as they think the more shrill they are, the more weight readers will give to their opinion. "Nerf Balls" compared to WMDs.
PS
Thanks Kevin!

Ok, here is my Reader's Digest version...
Jeff Gracik, pipemaker, registered with the FDA as a tobacco product maker. They showed up at his house as one would expect for having done such a strange thing. The agents weren't sure what they were looking for. The guy demonstrated making a pipe for them. They were polite, amused, yet official. They left Jeff's place, leaving pipemakers terrified of such a HUGE governmental overreach.
All of the other over-thinking and over-speculation and hand-wrenching in the article, you can read on your own. If you enjoy stress, you will love it.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
The article did make my blood pressure rise. Though it was already a bit risen from getting the official answer from the Minister of Health to the petition to abrogate plain packaging for tobacco products in my mail box this morn.

Status
Not open for further replies.