Fawlty Towers Reboot? Nah, I Don't Think So.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Claudio Cavicchi Pipes
60 Fresh Neerup Pipes
12 Fresh BriarWorks Pipes
9 Fresh Radice Pipes
New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Funniest show I've ever seen.
Gets my vote for the funniest ever on TV. Holds up better after all these years than most of the Monty Python stuff IMO.

I have the entire series on DVD...re-watched it all not too long ago. Cleese is a comic genius. In one of the special features/interviews sections he talks about how they almost made a FT movie. He describes the plot and I was laughing out loud just imagining it...I so wish they would have made it. In a nutshell, he's been invited to Barcelona to visit Manuel's family, and of course he gets more and more agitated trying to get there with all of the travel frustrations and ends up hijacking the plane LOL LOL.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think it's difficult to reprise a show made long ago, partly because there is the expectation by the performers that the situation is innately funny. Humor relies on surprise and spontaneity, and that can get lost. Cleese and Reiner are heavyweights in comedy, so I'd be interested to see how this works. But it may be more difficult than just starting with a whole new premise.

I loved the old show. It was loud and gawky, but that made it work. If they'd asked me -- and for some reason they didn't call -- I'd have suggested they do a show with Rob and John sitting on a porch complaining about their health and the condition of the world and let it happen from there.

I like most of those old British situation comedies, "Are You Being Served," "Waiting for God," "As Time Goes By," others.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I saw this on the news last night and thought it a hopeless idea, now I've read more I'm even more convinced it would never work.

The original Fawlty Towers (a mere 12 episodes in total if memory serves me right) was an absolute comedy classic of its time and a shining star of what can be done with the right characters in any given situation.

I just cannot see the wonderful comedic chemistry twixt all those characters being revitalised and being anything other than a total flop today.

We shall have to see!

Regards,

Jay.
I usually have doubts about reboots but the funny thing is when they work that becomes a side line. An oh by the way that's a reboot. I think the question is can you catch lightening in a jar? Can you do it twice in the same jar? The problem is they often forget what made the original great or if they do they forget that not only do things constantly move especially humor and that it's the spirit of the thing you want to hold on to.
And well Fawlty Towers in essence is a character study. A study of an oh my God these people exist and how do they function like that. And that's the thing you can't fake inspiration.
And by the way the original still holds up. You can get kids to enjoy it (kids to me 20 year olds).

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I think it's difficult to reprise a show made long ago, partly because there is the expectation by the performers that the situation is innately funny. Humor relies on surprise and spontaneity, and that can get lost. Cleese and Reiner are heavyweights in comedy, so I'd be interested to see how this works. But it may be more difficult than just starting with a whole new premise.

I loved the old show. It was loud and gawky, but that made it work. If they'd asked me -- and for some reason they didn't call -- I'd have suggested they do a show with Rob and John sitting on a porch complaining about their health and the condition of the world and let it happen from there.

I like most of those old British situation comedies, "Are You Being Served," "Waiting for God," "As Time Goes By," others.
I feel bad saying this but Cleese hasn't really been all that funny lately. It kind of blows my mind that he was according to legend the one that killed Python because he felt they had ceased to be fresh. He's hit the grumpy old man phase but is too serious about it to be funny. Life is strange.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I feel bad saying this but Cleese hasn't really been all that funny lately. It kind of blows my mind that he was according to legend the one that killed Python because he felt they had ceased to be fresh. He's hit the grumpy old man phase but is too serious about it to be funny. Life is strange.
He's become his own parody. It's more efficient that way!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
He's become his own parody. It's more efficient that way!
true. I will say as long as nothing horrible comes out about him, we'll still love him. You murder, rape, large scale financial fraud of the sort that ruins lives. Why because he was just amazing for such a long time. Monty Python alone brings a lot of good will. How many nerds found that show and felt a little less strange? A little less alone and a like hey not only are there people with a sense of humor like mine but they're successes. Gary Larson was another life safer in that way too. Basically what a revelation to find out that us nerds and nerdoids could eventually be cool.

Reactions: ThermionicScott

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
No idea who “they” are or whether their pronouns are correct, lol, but the shows were circa 1975-79(ish) and shown as reruns in the US well into the 90s on PBS.
I was asking @bullet08 about his post that reads, "Didn't know they had show about the Leaning Tower of Pisa."

I could not find that possible show, so I asked him.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
No idea who “they” are or whether their pronouns are correct, lol, but the shows were circa 1975-79(ish) and shown as reruns in the US well into the 90s on PBS.
Ah, they. Nothing to do with current trend. I don't know.. BBC? Not the other BBC, but British Broadcasting Corp or something like that.

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
I usually have doubts about reboots but the funny thing is when they work that becomes a side line. An oh by the way that's a reboot. I think the question is can you catch lightening in a jar? Can you do it twice in the same jar? The problem is they often forget what made the original great or if they do they forget that not only do things constantly move especially humor and that it's the spirit of the thing you want to hold on to.
And well Fawlty Towers in essence is a character study. A study of an oh my God these people exist and how do they function like that. And that's the thing you can't fake inspiration.
And by the way the original still holds up. You can get kids to enjoy it (kids to me 20 year olds).
It was a favorite of the Queen...if you watch it don't miss the opening of each episode as the hotel sign's letters always say something amusing.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
It was a favorite of the Queen...if you watch it don't miss the opening of each episode as the hotel sign's letters always say something amusing.
I love the original. This I have zero faith in. I had a sliver of faith that it might be o.k.. But then I found out two things. One Rob Reiner who has done funny stuff... but it doesn't seem like the right pairing and then the other is that Cleese is working with his daughter who has no back ground in working with this kind of comedy. Which is not a good sign in a few ways. The obvious but one of the not quite as obvious ones... Why doesn't anyone else with the qualifications want to work on it? I would prefer to be proven wrong though.

Reactions: Briar Tuck

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Gosh, Fawlty Towers was simply classic television. I don't have faith in a London reboot and God forbid they try it in Hollywood.
it's worse then that. The director is doing it because of hero worship. Which doesn't make for a good director. Try telling one of your heros they're not really hitting their marks or maybe if they did it a little different or God forbidden it's not working! Then the people involved have almost no experience with doing such things and zero with doing them as comedy. My guess someone offered to put up the money to get it made, and nearly everyone worth their salt had the same reactions we all have.