Fawlty Towers Reboot? Nah, I Don't Think So.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Moonshine Pipes
2 Fresh Chris Asteriou Pipes
23 Fresh Bruno Nuttens Pipes
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
4 Fresh Scott Thile Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
Ah, The Oval!!

How about a brief explanation of it as well as the two sides?
Oh sorry, the context in the show was that the major was telling Fawlty about his experience (very limited) with women and told him that he had taken a woman to india. Fawlty is astonished and says: you took her to india? The major responds: India at the Oval (referring to a pageant type show at a British cinema)
The major then confesses that the woman got up to "powder her nose or some such and I never saw her again"

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Ah, good. History/movies being cleaned up sTuro they give no clue as to the times.

The ending of Peter and the Wolf has been changed. Instead of the hunters dispatching the big bad wolf, he is taken to the Zoo!
True dat. The first time I heard that, it was a David Bowie cover.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Ah, good. History/movies being cleaned up so they give no clue as to the times.

The ending of Peter and the Wolf has been changed. Instead of the hunters dispatching the big bad wolf, he is taken to the Zoo!
It's a venerable practice. The Grimm brothers cleaned up the fairy tales they collected and other folks are doing the same to the stories today. From wikipedia:

"The first volumes were much criticized because, although they were called "Children's Tales", they were not regarded as suitable for children, both for the scholarly information included and the subject matter.[3] Many changes through the editions – such as turning the wicked mother of the first edition in Snow White and Hansel and Gretel (shown in original Grimm stories as Hänsel and Grethel) to a stepmother, were probably made with an eye to such suitability. Jack Zipes believes that the Grimms made the change in later editions because they "held motherhood sacred".[4]

They removed sexual references—such as Rapunzel's innocently asking why her dress was getting tight around her belly, and thus naively revealing to the witch Dame Gothel her pregnancy and the prince's visits—but, in many respects, violence, particularly when punishing villains, become more prevalent.[5]"

Who is it that said, "times change and we too change in those times"?

Reactions: warren

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Who is it that said, "times change and we too change in those times"?
You can change with it if you want, I'm sure as hell not.

The same people who are pushing all this censorship and revisionism are the same people who say it's ok for prepubescent children to have sex change operations. These people are total fucking lunatics.

It's Maoist style social/cultural destruction they're engaged in.

Broadway Composer Says Maoist Takeover of Arts is Like Living in a “Totalitarian State”

“No one dares say it out loud.”

Acclaimed Broadway composer Stephen Schwartz says that the mob’s takeover of arts and culture feels like something straight out of a Maoist “totalitarian state.”

In an interview with the Telegraph, Schwartz highlights the insanity of the left’s new “cultural appropriation” purity test, where if artists want to avoid retribution from the woke brigade, they are only allowed to write about “someone who is exactly like you.”

“Everyone in the arts in America is talking about the tyranny of cancel culture and cultural appropriation,” said Schwartz. “The funny thing is, no one dares to say it aloud. It’s like living in a totalitarian state.”

The composer of 2017’s Prince of Egypt slammed the new Maoist ideological militancy which employs censorship and intimidation tactics to suffocate independent creativity.

“We’ve lost the ability to have our world view challenged by another point of view. It’s as though we’ve become terrified of ideas. But ideas are how society progresses,” said Schwartz.

The former president of the Directors Guild of America said that positive depictions of white characters are routinely decried as “white saviors,” adding, “What’s also strange is that if you write a character who is bigoted, people now assume you hold those views yourself.”

Noting that it’s a “weird time” for the arts, Schwartz underscores how the mob is mimicking the behavior of the Salem Witch trials, where “accusation is everything” and people are condemned and vilified for opinions they had 20 years ago.

The composer compared the mob’s treatment of those deemed to have made such infractions to “making people wander around wearing dunce caps saying they are sorry.”

Schwartz is by no means an obscure figure, having won three Grammys, three Oscars and a Golden Globe.

His strident condemnation of the relatively small but vociferous mob who have weaponized cancel culture to terrify artists into being amplifiers for their various inane social justice causes should be applauded.

“I think the pendulum has swung so far it’s got to swing back now. It’s just too crazy,” concluded Schwartz. “The whole point about art is empathy. At the end of the day we have to deal with it if we want to live in a free society.”

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
You can change with it if you want, I'm sure as hell not.

The same people who are pushing all this censorship and revisionism are the same people who say it's ok for prepubescent children to have sex change operations. These people are total fucking lunatics.

It's Maoist style social/cultural destruction they're engaged in.

Broadway Composer Says Maoist Takeover of Arts is Like Living in a “Totalitarian State”

“No one dares say it out loud.”

Acclaimed Broadway composer Stephen Schwartz says that the mob’s takeover of arts and culture feels like something straight out of a Maoist “totalitarian state.”

In an interview with the Telegraph, Schwartz highlights the insanity of the left’s new “cultural appropriation” purity test, where if artists want to avoid retribution from the woke brigade, they are only allowed to write about “someone who is exactly like you.”

“Everyone in the arts in America is talking about the tyranny of cancel culture and cultural appropriation,” said Schwartz. “The funny thing is, no one dares to say it aloud. It’s like living in a totalitarian state.”

The composer of 2017’s Prince of Egypt slammed the new Maoist ideological militancy which employs censorship and intimidation tactics to suffocate independent creativity.

“We’ve lost the ability to have our world view challenged by another point of view. It’s as though we’ve become terrified of ideas. But ideas are how society progresses,” said Schwartz.

The former president of the Directors Guild of America said that positive depictions of white characters are routinely decried as “white saviors,” adding, “What’s also strange is that if you write a character who is bigoted, people now assume you hold those views yourself.”

Noting that it’s a “weird time” for the arts, Schwartz underscores how the mob is mimicking the behavior of the Salem Witch trials, where “accusation is everything” and people are condemned and vilified for opinions they had 20 years ago.

The composer compared the mob’s treatment of those deemed to have made such infractions to “making people wander around wearing dunce caps saying they are sorry.”

Schwartz is by no means an obscure figure, having won three Grammys, three Oscars and a Golden Globe.

His strident condemnation of the relatively small but vociferous mob who have weaponized cancel culture to terrify artists into being amplifiers for their various inane social justice causes should be applauded.

“I think the pendulum has swung so far it’s got to swing back now. It’s just too crazy,” concluded Schwartz. “The whole point about art is empathy. At the end of the day we have to deal with it if we want to live in a free society.”

Oh dear, things are really bad if a Broadway composer is complaining. I don't know if anything is more milquetoast than Broadway. I suggest you amuse yourself with Struwwelpeter, an uncensored collection of cautionary tales for children written in German in 1844, which probably doesn't sell well for children today
Screenshot 2023-03-07 at 12-50-14 Struwwelpeter Merry Stories and Funny Pictures.png[/I]
There's more on-line if you look.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Oh sorry, the context in the show was that the major was telling Fawlty about his experience (very limited) with women and told him that he had taken a woman to india. Fawlty is astonished and says: you took her to india? The major responds: India at the Oval (referring to a pageant type show at a British cinema)
The major then confesses that the woman got up to "powder her nose or some such and I never saw her again"
no he was referring to taking her to see India play test cricket at the Oval cricket ground in London

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Oh dear, things are really bad if a Broadway composer is complaining. I don't know if anything is more milquetoast than Broadway.
That's precisely the point. Even someone like that is affected by it and can see it for what it is.

And he's just one of countless examples. And I doubt you are not already fully aware of the magnitude of it all, and if you're ok with all of this type of stuff...that's your choice. But don't try to convince me of the normalcy of any of it.

The ultimate acid test as far as I'm concerned is the child sex change stuff. Anyone who thinks that's ok is dangerously insane. Period. And it is quite clear that the vast majority of those who agree with and are engaged in all of this cultural destruction are in that camp.