PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Turning this around to when I was a kid all the men in my extended family were pipe smokers, but the one who fascinated me the most was an older woman who was a sister-in-law to my grandfather. Of a night when her days work was done, she would sit on the porch and smoke a small Devil Anse-like pipe that she carried in a pocket on her apron. She probably smoked when she took a break in the privy too, back in her earlier day. She was of the generation born about 1900, I would guess.

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
This is no big deal just surprising to me -
I saw my 21 year old niece the other day(whom I see very rarely) and she said, “hey, when did you start smoking a pipe? ... pretty cool”.
I was surprised that a young woman like her would think a pipe was cool. Then again she may have said it was cool for lack of anything else to say?

bayareabriar

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2019
I’ve been trying to find a Disney pipe for a reasonable price. (Not paying 200 for a crap French pipe). I figured it would make it ok since she’s into Disney princesses. Lol. Otherwise she tell me to put em away. That, or to sell em so she can have more Barbies. Lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Ahi Ka
Mar 1, 2014
I saw my 21 year old niece the other day(whom I see very rarely) and she said, “hey, when did you start smoking a pipe? ... pretty cool”.
I was surprised that a young woman like her would think a pipe was cool. Then again she may have said it was cool for lack of anything else to say?
That or she might be friends with a few moustache twirling Hipsters.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I’ve been trying to find a Disney pipe for a reasonable price. (Not paying 200 for a crap French pipe). I figured it would make it ok since she’s into Disney princesses. Lol. Otherwise she tell me to put em away. That, or to sell em so she can have more Barbies. Lol.
I was recently given a small danish freehand, almost a squashed blowfish like shape with a really curvy stem - the first thing my daughter said was “finally papi! You have a lady’s pipe”.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
not surprising at all. It is not uncommon for people her age to shout out about your pipe when you're smoking. I find people mostly respond positively to pipes except in certain areas like indoors or where people are waiting.

Reactions: Ahi Ka

ChippewaAce

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2021
Tennessee
My honorary Father & Pipe story is this pictured churchwarden. With no pipe making history whatsover, my Dad crafted and gave it to me this past Christmas. It's made from the burr of a Whitetail antler he took in Michigan back in the 80s or 90s. From the opposite antler, he made my brother a similar pipe. It became an instant heirloom the moment he gave it to me. Smokes great, too!

60B94252-27A9-4F6A-899E-DF90DAE36A13.JPG

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
Seems to be a fair dinkum amount of dads around here. Some still with Rugrats, others with adult children, and of course the codgers/poppas.

what are some of your favourite memories or anecdotes that have involved your kids and your smoking?

3 stories that quickly come to mind for me.

my eldest daughter goes op shopping (thrift stores) with her grandma on the search for estate pipes.

my youngest son could say “pipe” before he could say “papi” or “papa”

my three year old boy regularly looks at that tobacco hanging in the shed and exclaims “mmm, look at that baco papi, it smeeeelllss yummy!”

PS: honorary dad stories are more than welcome too
My youngest loves his two MM minis. He likes to sit outside with me while I smoke. He'll even ask for his corn pipe, which I keep in my prep tray..
Anytime that happens, I smile.

Attachments

• 20200525_191958.jpg
    20200525_191958.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 1

wilblee

Lurker
Mar 2, 2021
My son.

t8trZ9H.jpg