PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Wrong, wrong, wrong. Diet Pepsi goes well with everything. On special occasions, Diet Mountain Dew maybe substituted. Then there's Diet Dr. Pepper.. Too bad Tab is hard to find.

Reactions: STP and JOHN72

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
I'll have any of a number of beverages with a pipe (beer, wine, bourbon and coffee and tea are the usual suspects). That said, for me only coffee 'goes' with a pipe (perhaps because I smoke primarily burleys). The others are things I just happen to be drinking while smoking a pipe. Beer and wine I don't think pair well with anything I smoke, but I would say bourbon and tea seem to go okay -- but coffee is the best for me. I'm probably biased because my favorite pipe of the day is the first one with morning coffee.

Last edited:

Verdant

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2021
Pacific Northwest
Buddy it is! After a long day at work a good smoke and a good drink hits the spot!
So do you mix the Arnold Palmer with Bulleit Rye? Glad to see another rye fan. I find bourbon cloying and pick up on banana notes in most bourbon. Care to share your ratios? Very likely to try this since I love Arnold Palmers, Rye, and tobacco and ne'er the tre have met.

Reactions: That Guy

Verdant

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2021
Pacific Northwest
I'll have any of a number of beverages with a pipe (beer, wine, bourbon and coffee and tea are the usual suspects). That said, for me only coffee 'goes' with a pipe (perhaps because I smoke primarily burleys). The others are things I just happen to be drinking while smoking a pipe. Beer and wine I don't think pair well with anything I smoke, but I would say bourbon and tea seem to go okay -- but coffee is the best for me. I'm probably biased because my favorite pipe of the day is the first one with morning coffee.
Coffee seems to be the magic pairing for sure. You're right about beer. I find that beer surfaces the ash tray in every tobacco. Or, if it's an IPA or stout, it just drowns out the tobacco and then I'd rather be paying attention to one or the other and not going through flavor whiplash.

Verdant

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2021
Pacific Northwest
Porters and stouts with everything.
Barrel aged stouts and Mississippi River go incredibly well together.

Earl Grey with honey and VA's

Bourbon with everything.

I used to have a few more, but this past year I've been smoking less and pairing a lot less. Most of the time it's water.
I'm going to have to try this earl grey and va thing because I've independently indulged heavily in both. Exciting finds here.

Reactions: solideogloria86

That Guy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 8, 2021
Central Florida
So do you mix the Arnold Palmer with Bulleit Rye? Glad to see another rye fan. I find bourbon cloying and pick up on banana notes in most bourbon. Care to share your ratios? Very likely to try this since I love Arnold Palmers, Rye, and tobacco and ne'er the tre have met.
Sure buddy. I use a "tumbler" or yeti style stay cool 26 oz cup. Drop in 3 to 5 ice cubes. One full shot of rye bourbon and then fill the rest with Arnold Palmer tea and stir. You can play around on the amount of bourbon to your liking of course. If I'm out of Arnold Palmer tea I just use lemonade which is still delicious.

• Love
Reactions: Verdant
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Sure buddy. I use a "tumbler" or yeti style stay cool 26 oz cup. Drop in 3 to 5 ice cubes. One full shot of rye bourbon and then fill the rest with Arnold Palmer tea and stir. You can play around on the amount of bourbon to your liking of course. If I'm out of Arnold Palmer tea I just use lemonade which is still delicious.
Is the flavor profile similar to Lynchburg lemonade?

jwussow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 7, 2021
Pewaukee, Wisconsin
I really enjoy Warsteiner Dunkel with a Balkan blend. It is a light bodied dark beer that really compliments the tobacco. I do have a difficult time pairing “regular” beer with a pipe.

Reactions: STP and JOHN72

That Guy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 8, 2021
Central Florida
I'm pairing some Captain Earle's Private stock and peach flavored sweet tea with a shot of rye bourbon right now. Sure hits the spot.

Reactions: JOHN72