PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

docrx

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 9, 2011
I use a Captan Black tamper sent as free gift for buying a Dr Grabow. I saw it on e bay a couple days ago for $39.00! LOL :roll:

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
While I have several fancy tampers, including a couple of erotic meerschaum creations...

My favorite tamper is a simple stainless number that I purchased so many years ago that I've forgotten where it came from.... :laughat:

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I just use the tamper on the pipe shaped pipe tool I got a while back. Might pick up some of the Peterson Sherlock Holmes tampers after I buy one of the Holmes 7 day sets though.

clanobucklin

Jan 19, 2010
My favorite tamper is the one I got from Uncle Arthur with my new pipe today. If it had a toint at the top it would be perfect. :)

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I started with one of the many roofing nails that our roofers generously left behind. Then I bought a czech tools. I keep thinking about making a fancy tamper. I wonder if the 7 board feet of hickory I just bought will have some leftovers?
Winton

jankomatic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2010
Tampa, FL
A friend of mine made this one out of some cedar and an old indian head nickel button for the end. I like it.
Tamper.jpg

onemangang

Might Stick Around
May 20, 2011
I have many cut nails laying around that I use. I run a facility that has a blacksmith shop. I just got my smith to make a tamper with a bottle opener!

I hope to make some up and sell them here.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Some where around here I have a tamper I forged. Kept misplacing them so the last time that happened I whipped one up in the forge. Since I haven't lost any!

dawk

Might Stick Around
Aug 25, 2010
I have antlers coming out of my %**, I mean my head so i have sanded some down-STINKY! they work great though.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I have two Triumph motorcycles and was thinking about cutting down an old valve to use as a tamper. I can shape the valve head to tamp and taper the stem into a mild stir/shovel tool. Hmm, where did I put that box of old valves....

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've been using the Czech tool, because they were free from Boswell, but just ordered two Brebbia tampers from Pipes&Cigars. $2 and they work wonderfully. Using the Czech tool to clean out the bowl, you have to open like a knife. This is more convenient and the bowl tool seems less prone to damage. I never used the knife thing on the Czech tool. I keep one Brebbia on the patio and the other in my bag. Plus, they are from It-lee!

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Cyndi=Genius! Off to the range and I'll have about 200 tampers in production soon!

I have the Czech tool, but I rarely ise it. I have a couple of 16-penny nails that work quite well. I may solder a dime onto the head of one, but right now the .45 thing has got the little hamster wheel in my head turning!

jasongone

Mar 23, 2011
i buy a lot of those cheap foam brushes ($3 a dozen). they have balsa wood dowels for handles. so i just pull the brush head out when i have used the brush for it's polyurethane purpose and shape tampers out of the handles. add some texture wipe on some stain and go. here's the one i have been carrying around for about six months.

tamper.jpg

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Absolutely LOVE that tamper, baskerville. I'm one to rely on my finger, my other finger, or my czech tool, but that is a tamper that would make me look forward to scratching my ash!

nmbigfoot02

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2011
I'm thinking one of my rifle cases would make a pretty good tamper as is. A .303 British might be just the ticket...

Status
Not open for further replies.